Old 06-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #21

Thanks BigJohnD. Shore power on and converter works, lights on bright. The awning if working properly should come in and out even if the battery is old/shorted out. The shore power/converter would compensate for the battery if it is bad. So now it is back to the awning or switch area.

Back to my first post of pulling plug at awning motor and use a volt meter and toggle the power off and on at the switch. If switch seems to be good, put a jumper wires to awning motor to see if you can get it moving and not binding. I see the situation with your wife. Awnings are nice to have, but can be lived without for a time. I would call Domestic and the dealer for suggestions, but the amount of info that you can give them will not be a lot until you get in there. We all know that it is fixable and traceable when you or someone gets there to help your wife. I would tell my wife that 'I will fix it when I get home and for her not to worry about"...... Why I said to call the dealer, if you have to spend some bucks for a new motor, I would hope that warranty would cover it. Keep the dealer in the loop to document it.

Keep us posted as you go.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
Plain Old Member

When it rains it pours. Storming at home now, power is off, and she's on conservation mode to keep from firing the generators up. Only real reason we wanted the awning working was due to leaving on a lengthy trip to tennessee and kentucky right after I get home. Other than that, it wouldn't bother me so much. Still waiting on her reply back in regards to contacting Dometic. Dealing with our 2 ACTIVE kids at the same time, so you can imagine.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #23
Plain Old Member

She called the Dometic customer service, and they weren't much help at all. All they would do is list of places to call in the cities my wife named off. All are probably well over an hour away. We had already started doing that, and closest dealer wouldn't even come. Probably going to be out of luck.

Does anybody have a different contact number, or person, that can be contacted at Dometic, that have proven to have results sending a "mobile" tech out? ret2006, who did you call? All the places that lady stated, my wife said those were dealers pretty far away.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #24

Are you planning on paying for this 'fix' out of your own pocket? If not. Ask Domestic or the Dealer how they will take care of the charges. Just some thoughts, but don't take advice from people over the internet..... RV people seem to be over an hour away from your units location and are not willing to come to your unit. Where are you going to go camping at? Call that campground and see if they know of any RV service centers close by that may come to the campground while you are there. Just a thought to add another wrinkle into what is going on.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
Plain Old Member

Though I'm never crazy about paying for some things, I will pay for convenience, which means I'll do what it takes to have it fixed for this vacation. She did get ahold of somebody in east texas that sounds somewhat promising. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the tip on checking at the destination. Pigeon Forge, TN is slam full of places that do that, some Dometic certified. So, if Texas fails me, I'll be calling TN.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #26

One of my motto's is that if I can not fix 'it', I want to make dang sure that it is broken before I ask someone to fix 'it'. By backing up a step and put in the option/idea of having an RV center look at it at Pigeon Forge. This will give you a little time to check the switch/motor/ connections yourself. I would be very very ticked off if a tech told me that I needed a new 'motor' when the only problem was to push the connection in a little tighter. Have a great and safe time with your family. In the scheme of things, the awning is a small thing at this time. You will get it figured out with a volt meter. One step at a time, one day at a time.

Have a safe trip.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #27
NELA

(sigh) this is sad. I feel for you both. As I said in a PM to you, 2 of my sons are offshore workers, but thankfully live close to family.

My DH manages a fleet of trucks and I just called him to see if any of their routes go close to Florien. no such luck....that area is served out of their Alexandria office.

(chuckle) yeah, I would have attempted to wrangle him in to having his driver stop by, if nothing else just to be the "button pusher".

It's storming here in NE LA too. Raining cats and dogs, boucou thunder and lightning, but still have power (knock on wood)

Loading up and heading for a hotel for the night would certainly be on my mind if I was alone with two young'uns with no power.

So you're headed to Pigeon Forge! Did ya book a site at "Up A Creek RV Park"? If so you're gonna love it!

Back to topic: Though we don't have the same RV, on both our former V-Lite and now the 5er, both awnings on the 5er, the forward arms seem to hang up a tad then *pop* loose and roll out. We're having the guys check to see where it's hanging up while it's in for service.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #28

I called Ricky's RV repair (mobile) in Sevierville, TN at 865-908-3245. Prompt & did great work.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
Plain Old Member

Thanks Weezer. I got your PM, I've just been scatter brained, and I'm actually on shift working trying to do that to. Normally I'd have replied back already but hadn't slowed down yet. No worries on where to go in a storm. What you don't see in that Avatar, is the 6000 sq/ft shop where I'm standing taking the picture. Complete with small apartment, washer, dryer, full bath, kitchenette and generators. Also has full hook ups inside in the main RV bay. She wanted it set up outside, because of cell signal, and we have to rely on iPhone hotspot to get internet there. Me, I would have had it in the shop.

I can't remember what park we're going to up in TN. It's not Up the Creek, but it's one that was discussed on that thread a while back on here.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
Plain Old Member

Thanks RWWNC. Ricky's was on my list of 4 places in TN. Other's were Interstate, Premier and Skips. That's my standby list. The place in east Texas has said they do Dometic warranty work. I'd just be out the service call. At least at this point, we have a plan, and a back up plan, and a plan to back that up.

Tags
awning, power