Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #61
Plain Old Member

Seemed to work. That fridge had the clip on the fins to adjust the original thermister up and down for temp adjustment. I just never could find the sweet spot. Figured for $26, I wasn't out much if it didn't work. The fridge I have now is roof vented / non slide. Though it has a thermister, it also has the 1-5 adjustment by the controls. I haven't had any problems with this one, yet. Still contemplating gutting it for a small residential / inverter set up, just to do away with the RV fridge / exterior and roof vent set up.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
What was the problem with the awning in case it happens to me thanks
Post #19 tells about it billy.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Post #19 tells about it billy.

Post 19 isnt telling me anything about it
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Post 19 isnt telling me anything about it
Oops. #43. Could have sworn it was 19. Duh!

Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #65
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How about a big round of applause to David for making a 3+ hr round trip to help a frf member?

Thank you Dave!
X2

I'm a bit of a softie, and this was nicest thing I experienced or read about all week made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

CHEERS AND THANKS DAVE FOR LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN!

Stuff like this is what makes this forum so great!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Seemed to work. That fridge had the clip on the fins to adjust the original thermister up and down for temp adjustment. I just never could find the sweet spot. Figured for $26, I wasn't out much if it didn't work. The fridge I have now is roof vented / non slide. Though it has a thermister, it also has the 1-5 adjustment by the controls. I haven't had any problems with this one, yet. Still contemplating gutting it for a small residential / inverter set up, just to do away with the RV fridge / exterior and roof vent set up.
Residential fridg would be nice but the condenser side if the residential would add to the heat load inside your RV not to mention the weight. Might make a difference in the warmer climates.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #67
Plain Old Member

They are actually lighter believe it or not. Been looking at it for years. You'd have to see the actual unit we have picked out and compare side by side. Consider the fact, that the Cedar Creeks have that option already, the Silverbacks do not. I think the 36B4 (The same floor plan as we have that they quit making in the Cedar Creek), had the residential fridge, it was just not a huge one.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #68
Site Team

OK now. Received a free gift in the mail today from some anonymous frog. Thank you, whoever you are.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #69
Plain Old Member

Well, it continues. Get all the way to Tennessee, and awning won't even grunt. Tried pulling on it while wife hit switch, nothing. Pulled momentary switch, all good. Fuse still good. Plan on having mobile service come look Monday. Long term fix; I'll be chunking it and putting a 9100 MANUAL awning on it soon. Tired of wondering when stuff will fail. All my previous manual ones were way more reliable.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #70

Good gosh john. I had thought about trading and maybe upgrading my camper but I am scared I might end up in your situation.

At least we both try to fix what we got and make the most of it. I have wondered many times if I couldn't make a better trailer from a car hauler or a horse trailer.

Hope it all ends up good for u. Enjoy ur time off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #71
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well, it continues. Get all the way to Tennessee, and awning won't even grunt. Tried pulling on it while wife hit switch, nothing. Pulled momentary switch, all good. Fuse still good. Plan on having mobile service come look Monday. Long term fix; I'll be chunking it and putting a 9100 MANUAL awning on it soon. Tired of wondering when stuff will fail. All my previous manual ones were way more reliable.
Make sure you remove and save the poles, I would imagine someone would be willing to take them off your hands.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #72
Plain Old Member

Arpipeliner, been toying with my own conversion of a cargo hauler for years. I have all parts vendors sorted out, with the exception of slide outs. Even have a potential frame builder should I choose to do a ground up build. I thought I had read about your bed frame issues. Mines well on its way to self destruction, so it's on the demo / rebuild list. Had I known I were going to have more and more troubles over the last several RVs, I might have kept my 2007. It was pretty much flawless.

OC, don't worry, the poles are staying with ME. If I looked correctly, the 9100 manual awning is almost identical minus the motor. I know dometic makes a manual one with the same arm configuration. If so, the poles will be on it first thing.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #73
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...OC, don't worry, the poles are staying with ME. If I looked correctly, the 9100 manual awning is almost identical minus the motor. I know dometic makes a manual one with the same arm configuration. If so, the poles will be on it first thing.
Glad to hear you will be keeping them after the hell UPS put Rebecca and I thru to get you a complete set. She's a keeper John.

A manual with the pole tie downs should provide a dern near storm proof awning. The material could be torn completely off the tube & trailer and the awning structure would still be there.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #74
Site Team

John. Can you pull them out manually? After I killed power to the motor I was able to pull them out. Then when I plugged motor back in it worked

Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #75
Plain Old Member

I hadn't tried that yet David. When we get to Pigeon Forge, I will give that a shot. It's in right now, so I figure I better leave it alone until we get somewhere for more than a couple of days just in case. It was working before I got home. Somehow I guess I jinxed the thing.

OC, no doubt the poles are one of the things that are working as designed, and holding up better than the fifth wheel itself.

I won't elaborate, but today just wasn't a day worth writing home about. Breakaway got snagged and pulled turning on to the road to the campground, IT WORKS WELL. Ran slides out, and forgot that one door in the living room. Just about ripped it off, so I'm minus a handle and hinge now. Black tank sensors are all on with an empty tank, but not much worried about that.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #76
Wayne & Kim

John, my heart goes out to you for all the problems you have had with that rig. Hopefully you can get that awning out to help keep you cool while you try to enjoy your trip up to Pigeon Forge for some much needed R&R. Not sure if you drink, but I'm gonna have a cold one on your behalf and hope that things get better for you!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #77
Plain Old Member

Thanks for the sympathy Wayne. I get aggravated for sure, but nothing comes as a surprise anymore. I haven't let a camper whoop me yet, so hopefully I'll win this one in the end. We've gone so far as discussions about hanging it up for a while. But, then there's the wife's comments like, "You've put so much time, money and modifications into this thing, so why give up now". So maybe she's right. When we get back from this trip, I'll start with the long fix it list. May move back into the family house for certain fixes, like gutting the master bed frame. I asked my daughter what she wanted to do. She says she wants to move back into a "house on land" where she can jump up and down again. I've banned jumping in the camper as the way things are going so far, I figure she'll go through the floor. Funny to hear her talk about it being all serious.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #78
Plain Old Member

Update. Tried unplugging motor, and couldn't get anything to budge at all. Got to Pigeon Forge a little after lunch and called one of the local repair people. How often does a service guy come to your site at 7 pm on a Sunday? That service does not exist around home. First phone call, gave him all the info and what David had done before to get it working. He said I have a couple of people before you but I will be there. He called me back a little later when he was on his last customer before me. Then he called back again to tell me he'd be here in 15 minutes. I'm liking this guy already, since he's doing something most service people don't do; KEEP ME INFORMED. He showed up and direct wired the motor one way, then reverse polarity. Sure enough, it's crapped out. I would have tried this, but all my "tools" are in the cargo trailer back in Louisiana. So, he's getting with Dometic first thing to get a motor overnighted. Should have a new one installed soon provided Dometic has one on the shelf.

A few things I like about these people so far. Very polite, very informative, very convenient at 7 days a week, AND, they all own their own RV's, so they can relate to US on a level most service center can't. I'll give my final review of their service when all is said and done.

As my luck usually is, when we arrived here, got everything set up, hooked up, slides out etc. Then the rain began, without an awning. But, thanks to the popup gazebo and the fifth wheel overhang, we're still dry.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #79
Site Team

Sounds like motor was just a bad egg to start with. Glad you're getting it fixed.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #80
Plain Old Member

Sure sounds like it. Matches some of the other items on this fifth wheel. Not sure how you got that thing rolled out a little, but both my wife and I tugged on it pretty hard with the motor unplugged, and it wasn't moving a bit. Glad she had took a picture of the tag on the roller tube while it was out. I was able to give the info to the guy.

Tags
awning, power