Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #101
Plain Old Member

So, I said I'd post who these service people were.

Premier RV Parts & Service
902 Wears Valley Road
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
(865) 230-5550
www.PremierRV.net

They are what they say they are. Professional, courteous, and 24/7. Service call was only $25. I paid a price for the overnight shipping of the motor, but it was worth it. I asked them what's the worst thing yall have had to do recently. They said, replace a black tank onsite. I didn't think anybody would do that onsite. Guess they do. I hope if anybody needs work done around this area, you give them a shot and have the same experience we did.

There are a couple of other mobile service providers in this area. Another one is Ricky's RV Repair. I'm pretty sure they are great as well, but I had already chosen Premier since they advertised 24/7. Indeed they were to come out at 7 pm on a Sunday evening.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #102
NELA

That's the very company DH was going to call when we had the smoke alarm rude awakening while there.

BUT, the fine folks here helped us understand what was going on before we had to call 'em.

C&P'd it, mailed it to myself. Will print it out and put it in my RV info folder.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #103
Mod free 5er

So glad you got everything fixed. Now you can sit back and enjoy your family and vacation. When are you leaving PF?

FWIW John, you would of had to paint my motor, it's white, but it does work. lol.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #104
Plain Old Member

We'll be leaving PF on Thursday headed towards Horse Cave, KY. Then on west from there at some point.

I thought about the motor color, but I'd have put it on anyway. BUT, wouldn't you know I have some satin black chassis paint onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #105
Wayne & Kim

Now I have an awning problem too!

Big John, I think your awning bug is contagious...now my awning won't extend either!

It worked fine Sunday when I worked on LED strip - opened and closed like a charm when done with the project. We arrived in Ocala today and while setting up, the DW found that the awning will not extend. I had to finish getting stuff set up and tried both from wall switch and the remote, but no luck. I hear the double click at the motor when you are outside and the button is pressed, but no movement at all. Tried to manually roll it while she pressed the button, nothing.

I did check and replace a fuse from the front area, but still nothing. I'm gonna check tomorrow as I think there are actually 2 fuses for the awning. Called dealer but not much help, and of course holiday tomorrow so unlikely to get much help from service standpoint. Started grilling, rain came, had to finish some stuff off in the rain - oh joy.

I have a feeling I got one of those bad Dometic 9100 series awnings, so may just go without for this trip and deal with it when back home.

Any ideas are welcome.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #106
Plain Old Member

The only way we got the thing out to even access the plug real good was undo the 2 allen head screws at the motor end. If the awning is in, there's one on top, and one facing the wall. If you remove those 2, it frees the motor from the end and it will come out by manually rolling it. But, you have to be very careful. One it gets so far out, the struts on the awning arms really push and the thing can come see you. If we are going to keep this fifth wheel long term (TBD), we're getting rid of the power awning and going back with the 9100 manual. Only real difference in the 2, is the manual doesn't have the motor on the right side. Just has another torsion spring I believe.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #107
Wayne & Kim

Thanks for the info John! I may climb back up to put voltage meter to the wires I can access now and also check that other fuse, relay area, etc. But since it is still under warranty and I don't want to break something in process or make it worse, I may not try to manually pull the awning out myself or access the motor. I may just have to go without awning for this trip , and hope for the best. Yesterday was not too bad with sun/heat before the rains came.

I hope your trip is going well. Safe travels to you and your family !

Wayne

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #108
Plain Old Member

There's always the fold up gazebo option. That's what we were doing until motor was replaced. That and sitting under the fifth wheel overhang. Motor swap is really simple, but...1) I could do it after watching it done, but after David's fix just didn't know what was wrong 2) No tools with me, they're in cargo trailer at shop 3) was easier dealing with mobile service since they dealt with dometic instead of me

Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #109
Plain Old Member

I contacted Dometic, and as expected, they are useless in answering questions. Asked if it were possible to just swap the motor for the right hand tension spring. They went around the world talking about not modifying and being released of all responsibility. Uh, I'm not modifying. If I remember correctly, you could "upgrade" a 9100 manual to power, so why not the other way around. I asked them what they would do, buy a whole new awning, or swap one part. No brainer from a financial point. They haven't responded. Think I'm on my own on that venture.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #110
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
There's always the fold up gazebo option. That's what we were doing until motor was replaced. That and sitting under the fifth wheel overhang. Motor swap is really simple, but...1) I could do it after watching it done, but after David's fix just didn't know what was wrong 2) No tools with me, they're in cargo trailer at shop 3) was easier dealing with mobile service since they dealt with dometic instead of me

Well the screen room I have now is strictly for just that - screen, so no true sun protection. I had a nice Gander Mountain canopy cover that I failed to stake down last year and a gust of wind lifted it and moved it a few rows ove - that was the end of that (though not the end of hearing about it from the DW ). I actually did find myself retreating under the 5er overhang a bit - both to avoid rain and sun. Of course AC in the rig worked great, as did some cold beers!

We had a mobile tech check it out while down there, he was pretty sure it is motor. Called Dometic, they weren't much help but did confirm that mine is not one of those in the recall and gave me the contact of a few mobile techs. They said they won't pay for the service call (awning is a "convenience", as they put it). The guy I am talking to charges $45 for service call, less than half of others I contacted, is coming out Saturday to look at it, and he will be in direct contact with Dometic; said he can likely get the part win a day or so after touching base with Dometic. So we will see how it goes. I figure doing it this way will be better than hitching up, taking to a dealer where it might sit for weeks. I will likely want to camp before then - with or without an awning!

Wayne

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
Well the screen room I have now is strictly for just that - screen, so no true sun protection. I had a nice Gander Mountain canopy cover that I failed to stake down last year and a gust of wind lifted it and moved it a few rows ove - that was the end of that (though not the end of hearing about it from the DW ). I actually did find myself retreating under the 5er overhang a bit - both to avoid rain and sun. Of course AC in the rig worked great, as did some cold beers!

We had a mobile tech check it out while down there, he was pretty sure it is motor. Called Dometic, they weren't much help but did confirm that mine is not one of those in the recall and gave me the contact of a few mobile techs. They said they won't pay for the service call (awning is a "convenience", as they put it). The guy I am talking to charges $45 for service call, less than half of others I contacted, is coming out Saturday to look at it, and he will be in direct contact with Dometic; said he can likely get the part win a day or so after touching base with Dometic. So we will see how it goes. I figure doing it this way will be better than hitching up, taking to a dealer where it might sit for weeks. I will likely want to camp before then - with or without an awning!

Wayne
Last time I was out a month ago, The guy next to me had the same problem, Dometic had the motor shipped in 2 days to the mobile tech. He replaced it in about an hour. They where good about that, but he had to pay 90.00 bucks for a service call and then the cost of the new motor. Your better off not having the dealer do it. They would put it on hold for 2 or 3 weeks, like everything else. I would go the way you are. All dealers say is waiting on parts and leave you in limbo, when you could be camping.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power