Old 06-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

HELP! Power Awning Problems

Well, another problem to add to the list on this Silverback. Power awning won't go out. It did come in after several trys so my wife said. Keep in mind I'm offshore and she's at home trying to relay all of this to me. She said she had to hit the button multiple times and it finally came in. Now, it won't go out. Can't hear any clicking or anything. She did mention that some of the lights dim when she trys to bring it in.

I'm open to any suggestions. It's difficult for me to walk her through anything since I'm not there. She only has my 2 little ones to help her, so that's a no go.

Anybody know a mobile repair outfit in mid-west Louisiana that could help? Only reason I'm a little anxious to get it working, is we are due to leave for Tennessee a day after I get home, and this is not the kind of weather to have NO awning.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Awning motor or awning switch. Essentially you get on a ladder and check for voltage at the motor. There is a simple two-wire connector at our motor that can be disconnected and you can check for voltage with a voltmeter while someone pushes the extend/retract button.
If there is no voltage you can troubleshoot from there (connections, fuses, switch). If you cannot get power to the plug, you are supposed to use jumper wires to apply power to the awning motor plug directly (like from an auto battery).

As a 2014 unit, if should be under a warranty. Have you called your dealer?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

That's the problem. I'm offshore, dealer is almost 3 hours away. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to send someone across the state to fix an awning. Only people around there to help are my 5 and 3 year old. And, my wife wouldn't be able to do as recommended checking voltage unless I could walk her through it in person. I have an email into a dealer an hour or so south of us that is FR / Dometic approved, so I'm crossing my fingers there. Not going to get much response from someone on a sunday.

Funny thing is, I think I jynxed myself. I've spent the last 2 days researching that awning, what can go wrong, how to fix and so on, just because it's one of the few things I haven't worked on, on any RV, at least the power ones. Everything I've read, is more related to getting the thing back in, not out. Can the motor be replaced with it all the way in? How can you get the thing out manually? Can that screw holding the motor be removed and roll the thing out?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #4

Sounds like a bad connection. If you have someone that can pull the switch, I'd bet there's a loose crimp connection that is shared by the awning and the lights that are affected. Could be at the light, light switch, or any splice on that circuit. May also want to check the terminations at the panel and ground bar.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Sounds like it's going to have to not work on this trip, unless I can fix it as soon as I get home. Wife looked at the fuse panel, and nothing is labeled as "awning". Just different rooms. I'm sure it's on one of those fuses, but, everything else 12v works. The lights in the bunk room did dim a little when she tried to function it, so I'm sure it's on one of the "bedroom as it's labeled" fuses. So, eliminates a blown fuse. Lights all function normal. If I were there, I'd pull the switch panel next, but I'm pretty sure if I ask, she'll say no way. I'm thinking possibly loose connection as well, but have no way of dedicating time and a wishful video conference to walk her through anything. I think I'm pretty much up the creek on this one. Sucks living in the middle of nowhere, at least in these cases.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

No doubt, if it becomes problematic, I'll be chunking this one, or keeping it for spare parts, and putting a 9100 "manual" awning on it. I never had a manual one fail me. Kind of frustrated at the moment, and have been since ownership. I can't have 1 week of peace without something going wrong with this fifth wheel.

I do appreciate all of the replys and helpful info. When I get home, and when I figure it out, I will be doing a LOT of training with my wife. Like I mentioned to her earlier, this ones easy, and no big deal. If it were something major, and I'm at work like now, then what. Slide failure, hydraulics take a dump, AC craps out etc etc. Always good to know how to work on them, or at least know where you can get help.

Since we full time, failed components are not a good thing for sure.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

I feel for you brother...I hate it when I have to realize the reason she's got me is so she doesn't have to deal with that type of ish! Hopefully it's simple and one of those right there in your face things. I had it happen on my last trailer, and just so happens I was working on something else,and noticed the bad splice before it reared it's head and caught me off guard.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
Plain Old Member

Thanks man. Signing off for now, and hoping something magical will happen tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Thanks man. Signing off for now, and hoping something magical will happen tomorrow.
The guy next to me just had his motor replaced. I'll take a picture of it today so you can see it. you can replace it rolled up but it takes two people. Cost him $535.00 to replace it with a mobile rv tech.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #10

I know u said that said there wasn't a sound but u are not there too. Mine will stick(in the frame) and gentle tug and it breaks loose. My lights will dim sometimes too if the switch is held after it's retracted. I know the frustration of being gone and being new shouldn't have the problems u have had. I has the same symptoms but I can hear the motor unwinding but a stud in the frame holds it to the camper. For me I try to not roll into the frame unless moving. Hope this helps you.

Tags
awning, power