Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Help winterizing 36CKTS

Hey everyone if you wouldn't mind me asking what seems like a dumb question, which valves do I turn so that I can winterize my 5th wheel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476126084948.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	122590  
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

In your photo the water heater is in normal operation. The three red arrows point to the valves for the water heater and you need to turn each of them making the top and bottom valve perpendicular to the water line and the middle valve so it is parallel to the water line. The water heater is now in bypass.

The yellow arrow points to the valve for the anti-freeze pickup line. It needs to be turned so the valve is parallel to the line in order to pick up the anti-freeze from the jug.

The black arrow points to the valve for the pickup from the fresh water holding tank. You need to turn this valve so it is perpendicular to the line or you will end up putting anti-freeze in the fresh water tank.

Once you have these valves turned the way I outlined you can turn on your water pump and start drawing anti-freeze into the trailer’s water lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Valves - Copy.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	122612

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Lmao and that is why I got covered in antifreeze. Thank you very much for the help. I'll redo it my next day off.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

If you have a residential refer with an ice maker you need to winterize that as well and if you have the tankless water heater there is a different process to winterize that. I just did mine. What do you have in yours?
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Residential fridge and normal water heater. I blew all the water out with air first and then tried antifreeze
Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Don't forget to return the water heater valves back to the normal position next spring.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

winterize 36 CKTS

I believe these are the settings for:

Summer:

Winterizing

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Ham Radio since 1970

C.B. and Bob, thanks for the pictures of how to the valves. I knew how to set them all, except for how to get the antifreeze to draw up into the plumbing. Do you guys also blow out the water lines before putting the antifreeze in?

C.B., what is the gauge that shows in your picture? Water pressure? How is it connected?

Thanks, Mike
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

water pressure guage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9ID View Post
C.B., what is the gauge that shows in your picture? Water pressure? How is it connected?

Yes it's a water pressure gauge. It is threaded into a garden hose Y adaptor. The other is threaded on to water inlet of camper. A 90 degree elbow and short connector hose are added to the bottom of the Y.

There are on/off valves on the Y also. I get the park water hooked up and then gradually turn water on to the gauge watching the pressure. If it's ok then water to camper is gradually turned on.

I also added a backflow preventer and short reinforced hose to my black tank flush.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
If you have a residential refer with an ice maker you need to winterize that as well and if you have the tankless water heater there is a different process to winterize that. I just did mine. What do you have in yours?
Looking at getting a 38FBD with ice maker in refer and tankless WH. What is process for them?
todalake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #11

Yes please tell...
Thanks
Duallynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

Tankless water heater can either be drained by opening a valve on the back of it which is hidden behind a plate you can't reach to remove or you can just leave everything alone including the bypass valve and run anti-freeze through the unit. It only holds 2 qts. That's what I did.
The ice maker can be a problem..I don't know if I got mine done correctly or not. This a stupid system and if I freeze the solenoid I have no plans to fix it. Don't care if it works or not. Here goes according to the Forest River winterizing guide...Open the low point by the back wheel and drain the line to the ice maker. Cap the line and pull anti-freeze through the system in the normal way...Here comes the tough part: Leave the ice maker on and let it cycle through until the ice cubes come out pink. Mine makes ice at the rate of one small batch per hour. It would take several hours of sitting there watching for pink ice to know if this is done right or not..The alternat method is to drain the system and don't use anti-freeze and let the ice maker cycle until nothing more comes out...I don't know about you but I have no plans to sit around all day waiting for pink ice cubes...Ther must be a better way but I don't know what it is. I'm hoping someone at Whirlpool can tell me how to force the ice maker to cycle more often to flush it out...Haven't found the right person there to ask..YET.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #13

Duplicate post
Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Tankless water heater can either be drained by opening a valve on the back of it which is hidden behind a plate you can't reach to remove or you can just leave everything alone including the bypass valve and run anti-freeze through the unit. It only holds 2 qts. That's what I did.
The ice maker can be a problem..I don't know if I got mine done correctly or not. This a stupid system and if I freeze the solenoid I have no plans to fix it. Don't care if it works or not. Here goes according to the Forest River winterizing guide...Open the low point by the back wheel and drain the line to the ice maker. Cap the line and pull anti-freeze through the system in the normal way...Here comes the tough part: Leave the ice maker on and let it cycle through until the ice cubes come out pink. Mine makes ice at the rate of one small batch per hour. It would take several hours of sitting there watching for pink ice to know if this is done right or not..The alternat method is to drain the system and don't use anti-freeze and let the ice maker cycle until nothing more comes out...I don't know about you but I have no plans to sit around all day waiting for pink ice cubes...Ther must be a better way but I don't know what it is. I'm hoping someone at Whirlpool can tell me how to force the ice maker to cycle more often to flush it out...Haven't found the right person there to ask..YET.
Fixed one problem, going to order unit with gas/electric hot water heater. Guy in campground has Champagne model and hates tankless heater. We don't have sewer hookup and get pumped out weekly, so waiting for water to get hot is not an option. The Champagne guy had his unit winterized today by the dealer. They pulled the refer out, unhooked water line, and jumped the solenoid to cycle it. Didn't see it but will watch next year if we get one. On another note, his wife hates induction cook top. It replaces the range and thus must use microwave convection oven to bake with. They changing the color on the Hathaway editions to a burgundy accent. Not sure whether that will make it look dated in a few years.
todalake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #15

Question on the Tankless On Demand Water Heater:

How much water drained out when you opened the drain valve?

I got about 1 or 2 ounces. That does not seem like enough.

I had all the faucets open, and had already opened the front and rear low point drains. Then opened the drain valve for On Demand water heater. About 1 or 2 ounces drained out of the hose below the water heater.

Does that seem right?
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post

I had all the faucets open, and had already opened the front and rear low point drains. Then opened the drain valve for On Demand water heater. About 1 or 2 ounces drained out of the hose below the water heater.

Does that seem right?
if nobody answers, late tomorrow I may winterize mine will post here.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post

Does that seem right?
The people at Suburban told me the on-demand water heater only holds about 2 qts. No way I can get to the back of mine to unscrew the little panel and turn the little valve he was talking about. He also said it would be okay if I just left the bypass alone and ran antifreeze through on my way to winterizing the hot water faucets. That's what I did..

Tags
winter, winterize