Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Don't forget the terminals on your inline current limiters. They are exposed to the elements and can look good from the outside but be corroded where they are making contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360426586.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	22766  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #12

I'm having the same dim-bright-dim problem with my Georgetown but not when running on the coach batteries. this happens when plugged in to shore power. It happens at both 30 amp and 50 amp power. The funny thing was that the lights became bright when I turned on my hair dryer which would pull quite a bit of power. Would this be caused by my converter going bad? Wildcatmlm

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

It's possible that your converter/charger cannot keep up with the sometimes demand on the DC system. The lights may seem fine when your converter is on maintenance or trickle charge more, and when there is a heavier draw the converter moves into quick charge mode boosting the voltage a bit and presenting you with brighter lights for a short term.
My first move here, although it may not eliminate the problem, would be to move up to a more powerful converter. You may still see the brightening, but it may occur at a less frequent rate.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

Forbes

Pull the switch for your lights out and have a look. If it is like mine the panel is only held in with 4 screws and look at the back of the switch that controls the lights. In my 2011 36RE the switch overheated and was melting at the connection.

I have found that when I was using my 12v lights and the inverting was kicking in the lights did change in intensity a small amount however, after changing to L.E.D. lights the issue has gone away.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

Thanks Reno Rock-
I'll pass your suggestion onto my "RV guy" at the dealership that does work on my RV. I told them last year about the problem but was told they couldn't find any problems and that it was probably a problem with the campsite hookup. It's done it no matter where I am and at all levels of power. It just seems funny that it was dimmest last weekend when the only draw was one tv and the ceiling lights in the main front area and they brightened when I used the hair dryer. Lights went dim again when I turned it off.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #16

Which light switch do I pull out? The main cabin light switch? headlights? All of them? After having a motorhome for 4 yrs I'm getting pretty good at pulling things out, plugging pipes if I have an idea where to look.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #17

Light switch for the main cabin in the 5th wheel, should be a panel by the closet. I found it easier to pull the whole panel out. Check the switch and the wire to the switch.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #18

Thanks Puff-
I have a class A Georgetown. I know where the switch for the main cabin is and it's easy to get to (right by the entry stairwell). I'll check that tonight.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do the lights get brite and dim only when using a 110v item or theve been doing it without 110 usage as well?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #20

When we brought ours home from buying it new I did a check off all wiring I could get to. I found loose connection on terminal block for the battery and wiring goes to the power panel inside the tt. I tightened them up before I had any problems. I had to replace a crimp connector also, The crimp only had about ‘wire inside of it. sanded all paint off the frame for ground connection as well. Best of luck with yours.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote