Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Holding tank access

What is the best way to gain access to the holding tanks on a Cedar Creek Silverback? Iím needing to work on the holding tank valves. I donít want to compromise the plastic belly cover and the hole leading through the floor where the cables go is too small for me to reach through.

Nances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

I am not sure on the Silverback line but on the Hathaway models you can access the holding tanks from underneath the camper. The plastic panels are about three to four feet wide and are screwed in to wooded boards. These can then be removed or slid out of the way.You might have to cut the AL-foil material and insulation but this can be patched with duck tape.

Here is the construction video of the Hathaway model about three to five minutes into the video this will show you the plastic under belly panels and the insulation that is placed under the holding tanks being installed. The tanks are placed in to the frame at this time too. You need to click on the video link and than the construction video to access this.
Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

This has been done by others I would do a search on the Cedar Creek threads for holding tank cables replacement.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I am not sure on the Silverback line but on the Hathaway models you can access the holding tanks from underneath the camper. The plastic panels are about three to four feet wide and are screwed in to wooded boards. These can then be removed or slid out of the way.You might have to cut the AL-foil material and insulation but this can be patched with duck tape.

Here is the construction video of the Hathaway model about three to five minutes into the video this will show you the plastic under belly panels and the insulation that is placed under the holding tanks being installed. The tanks are placed in to the frame at this time too. You need to click on the video link and than the construction video to access this.
Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

This has been done by others I would do a search on the Cedar Creek threads for holding tank cables replacement.
Thanks. I saw the YouTube video showing the construction of a Silverback which shoulda to be about the same. I wasn’t sure if I should try that or go where the cables go through the floor and cut an access door to get in, then hinge the cut piece to make it an access door for use later. I just wanted to check with the group first to draw from others experience.
Nances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Having replaced two of my cables on our Silverback it is much easier and provided much more room by removing the underbelly. It is flexible and is not hard to remove. The valves are not located with each other. The black tank on ours was right under the large compartment with the main water panel. The other bath tank valve was one panel back. Hope they have given you more room to work on them then they did in our unit, they are squeezed in.

In addition I found the insulation job to be very poorly done and not fitted correctly around the tanks, this allowed me to adjust it. I even added some silver foil insulation to to make up for some missing areas.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

When I was at the rally this year Orvan crew replaced the cable on my black water tank. I wanted to see how they took the panels down, it was easy to take the panels down but hard to put back in. They had to bow the panels, not easy and they did it all the time
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

I took down the underbelly panels when my kitchen sink flooded due to the drain pipe not being connected at the factory. The panels were fairly easy to get down and only slightly difficult to reinstall.

I agree with the person who said the insulation job was poor. Worth adding some while it's open.

jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank