Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

How many batteries

We are looking at the 2015 34rl and it has the option of the residential fridge. This is a slightly revised version of the 34rlsa. I was wondering how many batteries come with the unit if you order the residential fridge. Also do you know how large the converter is? If only one how many does it need to truly be functional? Thank you for your help.
Hopefully a future Cedar Creek owner.
Mike and Gwen
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #2

Welcome, Mike and Gwen! When you buy a new RV, the dealer not the factory, installs the batteries. If you order the residential refer option, you are supposed to get four 6 volt batteries. My batteries were not wired properly and I corrected that myself. Others have had dealers try to cheap out and only install one 12 volt battery. If you buy one, make sure they don't cheat you! We love our residential refer option and won't ever go back to an RV refer. However, if you are a boondocker, the RV refer would be better.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

The inverter should be a 2000W inverter and it requires 4x6 Volt batteries. Two sets are wired in series to provide 12 Volts and both sets are then wired in parallel to provide the longevity (amp-hours). And as has already been stated this is a dealer installed item, but should be included if you purchase the Residential fridge option.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Some friends of our with a new 36CKTS realized his residential size fridge wasn't running on the inverter. Turns out the factory didn't install a large enough inverter to handle the starting electrical load of the larger fridge compressor. He is in the process of having that addressed under warranty now. Not sure what the standard size inverter is, but make sure you have one that will handle the load.
joesmainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do any of these models also come with an on board gennie?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help in trying to clarify my battery inverter question. I think the consensus is saying for the frig to operate properly we need to make sure we have (4) 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter.
The first thing that comes to my mind is their a place that will hold all 4 6 volt batteries? My current rig will not. Second thing does the new Cedar Creek come with a 2000 watt or a 1000 watt inverter ?
My sales person said that it came with a 1000 watt inverter and they (the dealer) would install (2)12 volt batteries. Does anyone know for sure what is right? I understand using (4) 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter would be heaver duty and better but my question is what does Cedar Creek say and what do they come with. Thanks again.........
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgwen View Post
Thanks for all the help in trying to clarify my battery inverter question. I think the consensus is saying for the frig to operate properly we need to make sure we have (4) 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter.
The first thing that comes to my mind is their a place that will hold all 4 6 volt batteries? My current rig will not. Second thing does the new Cedar Creek come with a 2000 watt or a 1000 watt inverter ?
My sales person said that it came with a 1000 watt inverter and they (the dealer) would install (2)12 volt batteries. Does anyone know for sure what is right? I understand using (4) 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter would be heaver duty and better but my question is what does Cedar Creek say and what do they come with. Thanks again.........
They put the batteries in the floor of the basement between the frame rails.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

One more reason I will never go back to this dealer for anything.
The dealer only had 1, 12 volt battery installed.

Just another case of poor dealer service. It has been nice to have CC customer service to the rescue.
jwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

My '12 36CKTS came with a 800w pass through inverter and the dealer installed 4 6v interstate batteries. The unit has the Whirlpool 18.2 CF residential fridge w/ ice maker. The batteries fit snugly in the battery compartment which is designed to hold them and is properly ventilated.
The fridge worked flawlessly for the 2 years we had the Creek. We boondocked for up to 3 days and never had a problem. Subsequent model years have a slightly larger inverter and possibly a different model fridge as well.
Will the fridge run off of 1, 2 or 4 12v batteries? It sure will, just not as long.
Do you need a 2000w inverter? No but if you have one that large you can power other 120v devices.
I agree with the folks who don't recommend the res. fridge if you boondock often.
The constant discharge and recharge cycle will take a toll on deep cycle batteries.
As for the genset, Creeks have the option for the Onan Marquis Gold 5500w 50A unit. It goes in the front garage. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #10

Our Cedar Creek 38CK came with the French 3 door Kitchenaid 20 cuft residential fridge. It only had a single 12 volt battery and that was part of the low price deal we got. I wanted to install my own 4 6-volt batteries. Four 6-volt batteries just fit the battery compartment. The inverter was 1000 watt and the performance on our first trip was not very satisfying as we had to reset it from overload about every other stop along the road. I have since upgraded the battery wires to a heavier gage and it hasn't misfired.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11

We also just bougth a 2015 34 RL with an 18 cu. ft fridge. When you indicate that there is a need for 4 x 6 volt batteries are you talking about the 18 cu ft fridge or the 20 cu ft side by side fridge?
JCHeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

If its an all electric fridge, you will want the four 6 volt batteries and at least a 1000 watt inverter. The 20 cu ft 3-door Kitchenaid fridge draws around 1000 watts for a few seconds and then drops off to about 90 watts while running. If your fridge is all electric it's power consumption isn't going to be much different from one model to the next. My truck can can supply about 240 watts and the batteries stay well charged while on the road. Once you stop or dry camp, you are on the trailer's battery pack and you would like as much battery capacity as you can fit into your trailer. Basically you don't want to have to keep treating your rig like you would a parking meter and worrying about it. My math indicates that using four 225 amp hour batteries, I have about 60 hours of run time for my fridge on battery. That's accounting for inverter efficiency and the fridge running 45 minutes out of each hour.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

I almost forgot; cut that figure in 1/2 because you do not want to draw your battery's full capacity. Drawing a deep cycle battery below 50% of capacity will shorten the life of the battery pack by as much as a factory of 5. That is, you need replacements in 2 years instead of 10.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #14

Thank you William. I must admit I am a bit lost in this thus the reason why I am seeking information on the forum. I will review with the dealer as the unit is currently being ordered.

Jean Claude
CC 2015 34 RL
JCHeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
Our Cedar Creek 38CK came with the French 3 door Kitchenaid 20 cuft residential fridge. It only had a single 12 volt battery and that was part of the low price deal we got. I wanted to install my own 4 6-volt batteries. Four 6-volt batteries just fit the battery compartment. The inverter was 1000 watt and the performance on our first trip was not very satisfying as we had to reset it from overload about every other stop along the road. I have since upgraded the battery wires to a heavier gage and it hasn't misfired.
Sterlingsilver, Which heavier gauge wire did you upgrade to and did you also upgrade the inverter? I've had a similar overload reset issue in the past.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery