Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

Question How to install new decals?

Recently I contacted Cedar Creek about my dark colored decals getting cracked up, due to the Florida sun. I wanted to replace them since they look horrible. So, I bought the new decals but they came with no instructions as to how I should put them on. They seem like they have a sticky side to it when you pull off the backing.
My question if anyone has done this is: Do you just take off the paper backing and stick them on, or do you wet the surface so the decal will move while installing it and then squeegee out the excess water?
I have never installed decals like these before so I am hoping someone out there can enlighten me as to what to do.
Hoping you can help!
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

There are some good videos on You Tube on this subject. Don't just try to stick them on. Once they stick they are hard to get off and reapply. Do a lot of homework before you tackle this project.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

This may help you
Steve-and-Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Most of the video is ok but the way i was thought was to spray a mixture of soap and water on the surface before glueing the decals. That will enable you to move it and make it right on. After letting it dry you can peel of the paper from the decals. It makes it a whole lot easier to do for someone with no experience.
That trick was given to me by a car graphic designer and it works realy well...
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Not a bad video except didn't show how she dealt with the big crease she had in decal in step seven ( in the left side just below tailgate release) and if you look close the decal isn't centered ( step eight shows whole thing is too far to the right) . If you want to spray before installing decal you can use windex or a soapy solution, as micalo suggested.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Like you've seen, the decal itself is a piece of vinyl sandwiched in between a peel off backing material and a peel off cover material. Before you do anything get all the stuff together and make sure the surface is clean and free of wax or oxidation. The water method helps beginners as it somewhat allows a bit of movement should you start out slightly off from where you wan to be. One drop of dish soap in a spray bottle of water is plenty. The "hinge method" works well on larger decals ... read up on this and don't try to peel the backing off the entire length of a big decal ... apply it 1/2 at a time. Painters tape helps temporarily hold the decal in place while you work at applying it. The top backing can be removed after you squeege ... pull it folded back over the decal to remove ... do not pull it straight up in the air or you risk damaging the decal. If you have a few air bubbles even after squeeging it ... you can use a sharp needle to prick them and work the bubble out. Vinyl is porous, so many of the small bubbles will work themselves out after a few days.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

Thanks to all who have responded to my request on how to apply the graphic decal on my Cedar Creek. Before we moved to Florida, all the decals were in great shape. Now only here going on 3 yrs. and all of the decals are starting to crack especially the darker ones. It maybe a losing cause replacing the ones already badly cracked but it does look terrible. What is one to do? Whole body Paint?
Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

I'm in Florida & keep mine under a shelter when not camping. Direct sunlight is your worst enemy.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

This why we see units with heavy sun exposure with no decals on the front cap. I JUST went through this. Brown 2015 cap fade. Re done per specs. Pros tried 3 decal application attempts; all failed! After 4 months, brown cap fade from top began AGAIN!
Took unit back to Indiana. Now have 2016 OYSTER color cap and a better chance of a few years enjoyment.
Suggestion: you might want to visit your local "Fast Signs" franchise. A close friend ( recently passed ) owns 2 franchises. I have seen their lettering and wraps and they "seem" to hold up long term. I am not endorsing them, merely, as others, seeking alternatives after warranty is gone and need re appears. Love our unit and it may be the last one we own.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

Decals

Carry to body shop let them install will be cheaper than doing yourself
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote "
Carry to body shop let them install will be cheaper than doing yourself "
Service oriented businesses love your attitude ... if Joe Average realized all the things he could do on his own (decals, brakes, bearing pack, winterizing, landing gear) those busineses would be in a world of hurt.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

Any shop that does truck lettering will be able to help you and do it with out any difficulty .
Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Decals

It want be to expensive to have the decals done by a professional if you don't have any experience but if you do it and f it up its the cost over again plus if I didn't think I could do it perfect I wouldn't do it but I guess perfect is in the eye of the beholder
Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I worked in a bodyshop for years. We never messed with large decals, always called the people from a sign/graphics shop to do them...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I like your thinking! It may be too much for me to try and get this big stripe on by myself. I will look into some of the local shops close by and see if this is possible. We don't have a lot in my area but one never knows until you look. Thanks
Old 11-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I worked in a bodyshop for years. We never messed with large decals, always called the people from a sign/graphics shop to do them...
Ditto on the sign shop one of the two maybe able to get these decals on. I will have to do some research, Thanks for the input.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #17

I've done small decals on my trucks but wouldnt attempt RV side or front decals.
Generally i dewax and dry then use a mild soap and water spray bottle to hit the panel.
once its wet then i generally hit the back of the decal and that allows me to manouver the shape without it sticking,
then start in the center of the decal and swipe the excess water and soap solution out of the application area.
For ones larger than myself.... pay someone! if you dont you will regret having the black fly or june bug in behind it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #18

Decals

Also can look for a place that does graphics signs and designs for advertising like on business vehicles