Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Hydraulic Oil

I have a 2011 FR with the Lippert hydraulic slides and auto level system. The hydraulic fluid that came in the system is a golden color. Due to a leak I need to add fluid. I am getting conflicting guidance about type of fluid to use. In reading the manual it states use a ATF Dextron III equal. All ATF that I can determine has the red dye. I am told the golden fluid is hydraulic fluid and not to mix the ATF with it that I must drain and totally replace with ATF or add hdraulic fluid by one RV Center. The RV center I purchased from advised calling Lippert which I did where I got told it was okay to add the red dye ATF Dextron III to the current golden color hydraulic fluid? Confusion. Anyone with any experience here. I sure don't want to mix it if it causes seal leakage problems in the future as I was told. What type hydraulic fluid is the best to add?

Thanks, GlenO down MS way.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

iso 32 anti wear hydraulic fluid .

does the fluid smell like transmission fluid ?

I hate mixing fluids .

I personally would do what lippert recommends but i would flush out whats left of the mystery fluid .

hydraulic oils can range in color from red to purple to yellow and gold depending on the application.
lippert may buy thousands of gallons of dextron tranny fluid and get it cheaper by not getting the die put it . Keep that in mind
just sayin
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

I can't really determine any significant smell of the fluid in the system. It simply has a golden color to it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would say its some kind of hydraulic fluid personally .
I have seen transmission fluid in hydraulic applications. with that being said I personally do not believe you can go wrong by using a high quality ISO 32 anti wear hydraulic oil
and again I would not mix.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #5

Finally got a clarification about type of transmission fluid. I spoke with a Forest River tech and he confirmed that it was okay to mix the fluids and it wasn't an issue. He said buy the cheapest Walmart product that was Dextron III type compatible immaterial to it being red color. He said they bought in bulk and naturally probably was getting a better price by not having the red dye added.