Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Hydraulic slides coming out a few inches while driving

First long trip with our 2015 38fl and all the hydraulic slides are coming out a few inches while we are driving. Drove about 500 miles today and stopped a few times to bring them back in. The front living room slides are fine.

Is there some sort of locking mechanism I'm not aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Still have another 800 miles to go and was hoping for a quick solution.

Thank you!!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

You need to check fluid level it might be low if it is you could have a leak !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kski View Post
First long trip with our 2015 38fl and all the hydraulic slides are coming out a few inches while we are driving. Drove about 500 miles today and stopped a few times to bring them back in. The front living room slides are fine.

Is there some sort of locking mechanism I'm not aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Still have another 800 miles to go and was hoping for a quick solution.

Thank you!!!
No "locking mechanism". The hydraulic valves do the job. They are on the manifold attached to the pump.
Low fluid not likely for retract. If it's low with everything retracted, you probably
do have a leak. However, if it is more than one slide, a leak is unlikely.
The most likely culprit is air in the system. LCI hydraulics are self bleeding. Soooo, the first thing to try after checking your fluid level is to bleed the air out.
Try fully cycling the effected slides 3 or more times. You will want to be plugged into shore power when doing this.
Hope this works for you. If not, there are other things to try before you have make a lock (2x4s cut to fit)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
DDC

This should be reported to national highway traffic safety administration, this is a danger to you and those around you, Forest River should be informed about this ASAP.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #5

Thanks Duckogram and cowboy52. Fluid level are good, no signs of a leak. We will check for air in the system.

DDC, yes safety is my main concern as well, but like I said after a few hundred miles the slides are opening an inch or two. Far from a safety issue for me or other around me.

Thanks for the replies. Westward Ho!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

My 2015 Silverback has separate control knobs in the outdoor main panel above all of the water intakes. Yours may be in another place. I would put the slides in tight and then go and shut these knobs off ( or closed) position. Then look in your main panel box inside the unit and see if there is a switch for slides operation and switch it to off. Mine has one and you likely do as well.
Once this 5 minute task is done, if you have any reoccurrence you will know you have another issue and need to check more frequently as you
travel towards a repair facility.

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
No "locking mechanism". The hydraulic valves do the job. They are on the manifold attached to the pump.
Low fluid not likely for retract. If it's low with everything retracted, you probably
do have a leak. However, if it is more than one slide, a leak is unlikely.
The most likely culprit is air in the system. LCI hydraulics are self bleeding. Soooo, the first thing to try after checking your fluid level is to bleed the air out.
Try fully cycling the effected slides 3 or more times. You will want to be plugged into shore power when doing this.
Hope this works for you. If not, there are other things to try before you have make a lock (2x4s cut to fit)
I would just cut some 2x4's and after your trip take it in but they will not open with the brace installed after you retract them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Most likely a leak or low fluid
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

I would check for air first. The shut off valves might help isolate the system and see if they are creeping when all the valves are closed.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. Tried everything and the same occurred today. It's strange that the top of the 3 hydraulic slides stay tight and the bottom opens an inch or two. We stopped at Home Depot and now have 2x4's as braces.
Made an appointment near our destination and they can fit us in on Nov 20th. Kind of crazy how long we have to wait. Really glad it wasn't an emergency.
Really appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
win

Have them do a leak test across the piston

win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

On my 36 RE, the bed room slide would go out a few inches going down the road. Dealer told me I need to hold the switch for about 5 seconds longer after all slides are in and put good vacuum on the system. Worked for me.
MrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #13

Be real careful with those 2 X 4's. If you forget to remove them, you will have bigger problems.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #14

Could be the check valve in the pump is leaking.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #15

Smile Slides moving out when using the level up system

We have a 2015 Cedar Creek 34RLSA. When we went to raise the level up to hookup to the truck all 3 slides started to open. No stopping them, it was impossible to raise the level up without the slides coming out. Called Lippert and they told me how to check the 3 valves with a allen wrench, which we tried with no success. I got a wrench that was flat enough to take the 1st valve off. When apart there was a 1 inch plastic thread stuck in the check valve. This had to come dislodged from the hydraulic oil reservoir. After removing the hair like piece of debris we reassembled the valve and everything worked fine. Lippert had told us to take it to the dealer as working on the valve under pressure is extremely dangerous. Agreed , but we were all packed and ready to leave for a camping and fishing trip. I believe when one of the check valves malfunctions it affects all the hydraulics as the fluid under pressure back flows to all the other valves.
rworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

Glad you got it repaired and it didn't ruin your trip. You would think that they would put a filter in there or a screen to stop anything like that. If I may ask what did they want you to check with the allen wrench you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #17

Smile

If I remember correctly ( This happened last June ) the allen screws at the bottom of each valve hold the spring and check valve in place. Turning it counter clockwise would loosen spring pressure and allow to bleed the system if there was air in the system. The best when having a hydraulic problem whether level up or slide is to call Lippert directly. They are very helpful and their customer service very knowledgable of the pump and valves used in the system.
rworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #18

Our slides creep out when I have the selectors valves for the slides in the off position.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide, slide out