Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1

Hydraulics of Silverback 29RE

Thinking about buying a Silverback 29RE. My TV is 2012 Ford F250 Diesel. Never owned a 5W. My last trailer was a coleman tent trailer. Salesmen in the Dallas/Fort Worth area do not seem to know much about the Silverbacks. Salesman did not even know whether the 29RE is hydraulic or not. I am assuming it is.
I do not know where to get information on what type of hydraulic assembly the 29RE has, and how to maintain it as to minimize future issues. Lipert site indicates: check fluid-fill fluid, lube cylinder rods and clean electric connections as maintenance procedures. Repair of hydraulic systems seems to be more costly than cable or electric motor systems. I hate to discount the 29RE just for this reason alone.
Thank you.
Joe
5wJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

The 29re is a great trailer, of course I say that because I own one. The slide outs are Hydraulic and all the jacks are electric. Hydraulic slides are much more reliable and longer lasting then electric motors. I had a Cedar Creek before may current Silverback for 10 years that had hydraulic slides and never had any issues. Maintenance is not really an issue. Besides checking and changing the fluid in the reservoir every 3 years and lubing the components, which should be done on electric slides too, there is not much maintenance. Repair of hydraulic is more expensive but the odds of you needing any is rare. You will love the 29re. Let me know if you have any other questions about the unit.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Thank you for reply. I do have a few more questions:
1. Can the slides be operated independently of each other or are they all or nothing?
2. How do you pull the slider in if the pump fails or one of the lines develops a leak?
3. If you could change one thing about the 29Re what would that be?
4. Have you wished you had gotten an option it does not have?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

We own a 2010 Silverback and love the 5th wheel! The rear living area is roomy! We recently went camping with family and friends and had 8 adults in for dinner and still had plenty of room!

Our tow vehicle is a 2004 F250 and we have not had any issues with it being able to tow the Silverback!

I would highly recommend the Silverback!
rt2439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wJoe View Post
1. Can the slides be operated independently of each other or are they all or nothing?
2. How do you pull the slider in if the pump fails or one of the lines develops a leak?
1. Yes the slides can be operated independently
2. If the pump/motor fails you can use a power drill with a hex attachment. if a line blows you release the pressure and push in manually
3. I slightly bigger bathroom sink but that has been corrected in the 2013 model. besides that nothing else.
4.When we got our 2012 we wished that the refrig had the wood panel inserts which we later bought. The 2013 they are included. We ordered ours with all the available options including the double pane windows except for the washer/dryer prep. We are happy with everything else that was included.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

I agree with everything camper1999 said. We have a 29RL Silverback.

The controls for the slideouts are in the front docking station. Each slideout has its own control valve that has to be turned off if you don’t want that particular slide to open.

This is my third fifth wheel since 2003 and I’ve never had to bring a slideout in manually. I just don’t worry about it anymore.

Read this thread by prairiecamper about his 29RE. I don’t know if Cedar Creek has addressed this issue but it is something to be concerned with. Here’s the link to his thread. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9re-31851.html

Given the tall ceilings in the Silverback and the three slideouts, I would be sure to order a second air conditioner from the factory, If you order it from the factory the second A/C will be ducted.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Sound like, now I just have to find one for the right price.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #8

I have the 2012 and the only thing I will change are the knobs on the cabinets. They have changed them in the 2013's already they tend to bite your fingers.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaxle View Post
I have the 2012 and the only thing I will change are the knobs on the cabinets. They have changed them in the 2013's already they tend to bite your fingers.
Yes, I'm jealous of the new handles they put on the drawers and cabinets. Like you, I have the old style that bite your fingers. I've purchased some new hardware that I plan to install on the drawers and cabinets on our first outing this year.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

I was unsure if there was enough counter space when we bought our 29RE, but trust me there is absolutely enough. We have hosted 4 couples for several dinners and we can comfortably seat 10 people with room to spare. There is plenty of space on the sink counter (with sink covers in place) to put out 5 couples pot luck dishes.

The only thing I wish the factory would change is making the stair treads wood, instead of carpet. That is my last winter mod to make this year. I am going to buy oak stair treads at Lowe's and replace the carpet with wood.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I was unsure if there was enough counter space when we bought our 29RE, but trust me there is absolutely enough. We have hosted 4 couples for several dinners and we can comfortably seat 10 people with room to spare. There is plenty of space on the sink counter (with sink covers in place) to put out 5 couples pot luck dishes.

The only thing I wish the factory would change is making the stair treads wood, instead of carpet. That is my last winter mod to make this year. I am going to buy oak stair treads at Lowe's and replace the carpet with wood.
That's a very good idea I think that would be a very nice Mod. I am also going to make a coat rack for the wall in the hall across from the bath. Here in Mi we use coats all year around at times. Even if it is only a flannel shirt or hoodie. It seems like they always get laid on the furniture so I believe this will eliminate the problem. Also may make and oak towel rack with some nicer hangers for the bath the ones they put in from the factory look kind of cheap.

what kind of knobs did you find I got to get to the hardware/lumber yard to look what they have to offer.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Full Timer

Our CC has the wood steps and after 8moths they are showing some signs of use. I had seen where some trailers had used the material from the counters for the steps. I was thinking about maybe switching mine to that if I can find it to match.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wJoe View Post
We have the 29 RE. haven't really used it yet, but I know we will love it! The one thing I wish it had is a class 3 hitch. We ordered ours with a hitch thinking it would be a class 3 and received it with a class 1. On our old trailer we had a class 3 hitch (self installed). I used to tow our boat behind that trailer now I can,t
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Full Timer

The factory said not to haul stuff behind them. The frame isn't made for it and it caused a lot of problems, they said when I was there.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #15

Yes I know, will just have to learn to live with it! I will use it for a small platform and carry my generator back there! Still usefull.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Yes I know, will just have to learn to live with it! I will use it for a small platform and carry my generator back there! Still usefull.
You might have to beef it up some for that. It wasn't strong enough for us to haul our bikes back there. There was so much give it it that the bikes on the bike rack rocked big time damaging the ladder and scratching the paint I had to have a welder beef it up.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #17

Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I install the removable plat form. I certainly wouldn't want to lose my generator
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
Full Timer

What they did was install a stronger bar on top and attached the two together because there was nothing in the middle and it was just held on the ends and it just flexed

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #19

As for the steps I'll bet they just finished them with laquer. It is fast drying and quick to apply in a factory situation. I would strip the steps and apply a polyurathane finish and I'm sure they would hold up much better. They even make specific floor finishes. I don't know if i would like the corian on the steps it would get slippery when wet I'm thinking.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #20

For the guys with the hitch I had a welder friend that the rv dealers used to send all their 5th wheels to add rear hitches. He would take heavy 3" square tubing and cut it so it fit between both frame rails and weld it to them. Then take a piece of reciever stock (you can buy them ready made with the holes already drilled in them) and weld it to both pieces of tubing. These held up well to all the wear and tear you could give them. I've seen everything from cars to boats towed with this set up.