Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #11

I hope you'll give us a report when you see how that works. Thanks Steve

5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Or get a can of white spray paint for plastic. There is a thread around where this was advocated...
how about that black cover being 151deg. when 89deg. in the sun, the link below......

Painted the Clear Dome over Shower

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
Learning a lot as I go...

I think this comes under the "it all depends" category...

There are two processes happening in the rooftop A/C unit:

1. Air comes up from the RV and goes through the evaporator. This compartment could benefit from being in a cooler environment so as to not absorb heat. I have read of folks insulating this portion of the rooftop unit with reflectix type foil/bubble wrap.

2. Air is pulled in from ambient and goes through the condenser. The air passing through needs to absorb heat so there is some rationale that cooler air would be better. But since it is pulled in and moving I doubt that cover color really has much effect here. The mister jets would be more effective... I have seen kits to do this on home A/C lately. I have always wondered though if this would not add lots of corrosion and/or mineral deposits and thus shorten the lifespan of the condenser?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

That is a little different issue as that thread is about painting the skylight that let's heat radiate directly into the coach.
My question is about the black vs. White air conditioner covers. Certainly the black covers absorb a lot more heat from the sun than the white ones do. I just don't know how that translates to the efficiency of the air conditioner.
In other words, if the inside of the A/C unit is 20 degrees hotter on a black cover than a white cover, how much warmer does that make the air coming out of the vents inside the trailer?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
That is a little different issue as that thread is about painting the skylight that let's heat radiate directly into the coach.
My question is about the black vs. White air conditioner covers.
I included that link to show how hot that black ac cover can get when its only 89 outside,...... I thought you might like to see the evidence that will support your original post.........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #16

I have always wondered though if this would not add lots of corrosion and/or mineral deposits and thus shorten the lifespan of the condenser?

There is no way it would help the condenser.. I would only suggest this in extreme heat situations. Hot with no shade or 95+ days. The enemy of any a/c or refrigeration system is dirt. Keep it clean and it should perform.

I am not a huge supporter of the "water on the condenser" deal. If you could control the water by temp/refrigerant pressure... great, but you cannot. You aren't looking to make a water-cooled condenser from it, but to compensate for excessive discharge temps. The a/c systems cannot cool until the refrigerant reaches a liquid state(hello condenser) and it will not work properly with excessive sub-cooling either.
I figure if it is a small enough water supply to not run out or spit out from the condenser discharge then you are good to go.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I included that link to show how hot that black ac cover can get when its only 89 outside,...... I thought you might like to see the evidence that will support your original post.........

But the question that matters is: how much heat is absorbed by the air as it it sucked in from outside that cover. The air isn't there for very long.

Also, surface temp of the cover and air temp inside aren't the same thing.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm just saying we don't know ... nor do we know how much.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
My question is about the black vs. White air conditioner covers. Certainly the black covers absorb a lot more heat from the sun than the white ones do. I just don't know how that translates to the efficiency of the air conditioner.
In other words, if the inside of the A/C unit is 20 degrees hotter on a black cover than a white cover, how much warmer does that make the air coming out of the vents inside the trailer?
0 absolutely none.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #19

Thanks. There is definitely a lot of heat absorbed on black surfaces which was the root of my original question. You are right. I am hoping a HVAC guy will chime in on how much that difference actually effects the air conditioner.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #20

<------- This person kinda sounds like one