Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Inherent Cedar Creek problems??

Trying to be proactive and deal with any inherent problems on my new Cedar Creek 36CKTS before I start using it. So far I've read about the fasteners on the lower frontal skirt along the frame and added several more screws to it. I've also read about the crank for the spare tire bouncing up and down and loosening the winch. I will install a brace for that tomorrow. I have an extra strap ready for the residential refrigerator door to keep it shut...Am I missing anything?? My other concern are the Westlake G rated tires. The jury is still out on those. We tow about 4,000 miles a year, sometimes 400-500 miles a day. I can get a good price on a set of Sailun 17.5s and I'm not sure if I should make the move or not. I also plan to install disc brakes but right now the wallet is getting a little thin and I need to fatten it up a bit..Any advice will bee appreciated...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

I'm concerned about the tires too......but the Joy Rider alignment should help, I'm hoping. I've replaced two screws.......no biggie. If I could afford G614's I would, but like you I can't yet. If they hold up, then all is good with mine. Headed out Thursday for 3 weeks.

If you have the tankless water heater, good luck......though some love it. Other than that, enjoy your unit. I think it's awesome and unless a meteor knocks me into bad luck, I'm very happy. I have almost same setup that you do.

Happy Camping.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

I don't have that particular model but my residential fridge isn't bracketed in place so I would also make sure it won't move around in transit. As for the tires, I'd suggest a TPMS for a little more peace of mind until you decide to upgraded the tires. I'm still running the Westlake tires and they're holding up fine after a year.
guy.lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

On my 2010 34SATS, I had to replace the rivets that attach the scissor arms to the steps. I damn near killed myself when a rivet sheared off while I was headed down. Luckily I wasn't carrying anything heavy (like a case of vino). Personally, I'd drill them out and replace with 5/16" grade 8 bolts, stainless washers and ny-lock nuts.
Happy camping.....
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Must be a new thing? My 11 year old CKTS has been flawless except for normal wear and tear items.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

We have 2015 36CKTS with WestLake G rated,110 psi. Have towed over 10K on them with no problems. Keep them at current PSI and stay off carbs and you should not have problem. We have a a couple small problems but nothing we could not take care of our selfs.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Trying to be proactive and deal with any inherent problems on my new Cedar Creek 36CKTS before I start using it. So far I've read about the fasteners on the lower frontal skirt along the frame and added several more screws to it. I've also read about the crank for the spare tire bouncing up and down and loosening the winch. I will install a brace for that tomorrow. I have an extra strap ready for the residential refrigerator door to keep it shut...Am I missing anything?? My other concern are the Westlake G rated tires. The jury is still out on those. We tow about 4,000 miles a year, sometimes 400-500 miles a day. I can get a good price on a set of Sailun 17.5s and I'm not sure if I should make the move or not. I also plan to install disc brakes but right now the wallet is getting a little thin and I need to fatten it up a bit..Any advice will bee appreciated...

I have a 2016, 34RL bought new in May, 2015. Since that time we had put close to 10,000 miles on these tires, Westlake tires. These tires has served me well and you just need to maintain the tires such as checking the air pressure daily when pulling on the road. I also check lug nut torque every day when traveling.

What model of residential refrigerator do you have? We have the 19 ft.³ refrigerator that uses a screw with a star wheel to hold the door in. As long as this is fully secured we have had no issues with the doors opening.

I do check the winch mechanism for the spare tire every once in a while but I've never had the tire or winch come loose or fall off the trailer. I believe some people don't check things and when that happens things fail.

I have never had any issues with the outside sheet-metal also and I have never added any extra screws to the sheet metal. To me this may add rust points to the sheet metal if the incorrect material is used.

Good luck with your new unit.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #8

Given the choice and having the funds, I'd keep the drum brakes and get the Sailun tires now and only get concerned about the other stuff, if it rears its ugly head.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

For those of you with the 36 ckts, check your pendant lights over the kitchen island. Mine came loose to the point of dangling by the wires and apparently swung into the other and broke the globe. There was glass all over and a bit of a pain in the rearend to clean up. Also i was told they no longer sell that light, so they are sending me two lights (different style) to replace the broken 2016 style.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

I had put joy rider shocks on my FL 38 last year .and as I was going to trade it in a new 1 both plates on the shock brock going down # 95 will never put anything like that on my rv again
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

One of the first things I did was locate the water shut off for the fridge. I blew all the water out of the ice maker line and dispenser. This will never be opened again. It is a real pain to winterize. If I want ice to dispense, I just buy a small bag and dump it in the dispenser.
Reason201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #12

What did you do to keep your residential fridge from moving around?
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #13

Mine is bracketed in and so far has not moved.
Reason201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgas View Post
For those of you with the 36 ckts, check your pendant lights over the kitchen island. Mine came loose to the point of dangling by the wires and apparently swung into the other and broke the globe. There was glass all over and a bit of a pain in the rearend to clean up. Also i was told they no longer sell that light, so they are sending me two lights (different style) to replace the broken 2016 style.
Same thing happened to ours on our CC29RE over kitchen table....Put locktight on threads and now have small spring type Wood clamps on joint at ceiling just in case!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

Have a 38RD with residential frig - not secured. Have pulled about 20,000 miles and have not had any problems with it moving around. A lot of other problems but none with the frig moving.
justbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Steelchef

Different model but similar concerns

My unit is a 38CK - 2014. I have no tire concerns but want to share some of the deficiencies experienced. The overhead LED lighting is terrible! Out of 18, (total) 9 have been replaced (under warranty) for flickering or simply not working. The front AC unit was never hooked up and missed by the selling dealer (Sunwest RV Sales, Courtenay, BC, Canada) on receiving checklist. I never had to use it until after the (New Vehicle) warranty ran out. Not covered under extended warranty as it is not a defective part or assembly.
The drivers side, main slide is 16'. The welds (tacks) on the geared rail came apart on the second attempt to put it out. 3 months later, still waiting for repair. Thankfully, I've had no need to move it. The 4 door fridge/freezer doesn't work in hot weather. I was told that because that side is exposed to the sun, I would have to install auxiliary cooling fans. I protested and the aftermarket warranty company (First Canadian) wanted to have the cooling unit removed and shipped 500 miles away for repairs. What was I to do with frozen food for a week, 10 days? Buy another freezer. Which I did. Also a bar fridge. It took a week to get authorization, during which time I transferred all to my motorhome (much smaller fridge.) The auto levelling never worked properly from the git-go and still doesn't. The touch control was replaced but it's still on a front-up angle. I've tried to level it manually, to no avail.
Just preparing a list of grievances to take to a lawyer, at which time I intend to sue the selling dealer and the warranty company. Paid nearly $6000 for a 7 year warranty and have had nothing but foot dragging and unsupportable denials of claim. One other thing; water pressure regulator(s) restrict flow to the kitchen (island) sinks while the bathroom and outdoor taps have good flow and pressure. No one seems able to find out where the restriction is located and apparently Cedar Creek has been no help in providing that information. Other than these few issues, I love the unit. It never fails to get compliments on appearance and apparent quality. When I tell folks about the myriad problems, it usually steers them away from buying a Cedar Creek product. In fact, a neighbour just bought a Redwood instead of a previously intended purchase of a new Cedar Creek. It's too new to compare but so far (3 months in) he has had zero problems. May be my next move.
PV - 2012 Toyota Rav 4
cobatoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #17

Thanks to everyone for their replies. So far I towed it about 300 miles, have spent 4 nights in it as well as part of my shake down before we head out for the Winter. Everything works as it should. Just trying to stay ahead of things. This is our 9th trailer although 4 were pop ups in our earlier years. Pretty familiar with everything but things have changed since we bought our last SOB 5 years ago. This is a very nice unit and we are looking forward to enjoying it for years to come, but if it doesn't live up to our expectations there's always another dealer waiting to sell something...As far as other brands go, if you look closely those dealers have service departments too. Nothing is perfect.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #18

I had that problem with kitchen sink water pressure. Stoltzfus rv in adamstown, pa fixed it when I had it in for some minor issues, but I did not ask them what caused the lack of pressure. I dealt with Terry in service if you wish to call them and ask. I haven't had any problems since.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Jeffco, MO

kitchen water pressure.

Check the position of the weight on the spray nozzle. Ours was causing a kink the hose and low water pressure. Dealer fixed it in a couple minutes.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #20

Had the front lamp fixture hanging by wires also. Loctite now keeps it tight. One over table fell off and broke.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek