Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Installing a sound bar with a Jensen audio system

Ok, have now figured out the Jensen TV and audio system is one place CC skimped on to save money and keep prices low. So the TV will be replaced in the future, but the sound system needs an upgrade too. Will probably keep the system since the audio outside is ok and has the DVD player, but inside we would like better sound then the 2 itty bitty speaker put out. Now it they were Bose itty bitty speakers it would be fine lol lol lol, but they are not. So since we don't have surround sound we figured we would get a nice sound bar for the TV and hopefully wire the audio receiver in to it too. Has anyone done this and which did you go with and were there any problems I will have to deal with??.....oh and yes I did a search and found nothing...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

So, I for one, am glad they skimped on the sound and gave me a better bed.
I wonder if Bluetooth speaker would work for your situation. It could be external and would not need re-wiring.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Go online and look at Samsung Sound Bars....just looked at some last week at HHGreg appliances. They use Bluetooth and come in several grades of quality. The mid range, around $225, offers EXCELLENT tone and sound that will blow you away for the price.
More than enough for any RV sound enhancement.
We have the Jensen TV and if we used it more, I would have already bought this one. Low profile and will easily move to many spots or home!
Just a thought.....
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Put a sound bar in a few months ago, has Bluetooth, so we also use iPad music as well. Huge improvement in sound and an easy mount
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
CCRVOC

I opted to trash the sound bar and install my Onkyo 6.1 receiver and Bose speakers.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #6

Ok I am a little Bluetooth stupid..not really sure how it works....but is the Jensen radio/DVD player Bluetooth??? I would rather hard wire the radio and TV into the sound bar. All I want is better sound from the radio and TV then what comes from 5 inch speakers or the TV speakers....
Old 10-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #7

Sound bars

Most all have both Blue Tooth capabilities AND HDMI cable that you simply plug into your TV.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

Not sure why you'd add both a sound bar AND a receiver to listen to your TV. Sound bars have a built in amplifier so a receiver is not necessary as a addition to listen to the tv. Now if you want a receiver for other purposes like movies, radio, etc, then go for it. You'll need to be sure the sound bar you buy has multiple source inputs if you add a receiver!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

I am not talking about a receiver, but the Jensen radio/DVD/CD player CC installs. I find nothing that says it is Bluetooth. I am just trying to find out if the radio has audio OUT connections before I tear it out of the wall to see since the instructions are very limited too. I know the TV has audio OUT connections so that is not a problem. I just want to be able to listen to FM/CD on something other then the cheap 5 inch speakers CC installs. So are there connections on the back of the radio to connect to a sound bar?????
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #10

Go here http://www.asaelectronics.com/rv/stereos.html and look up your Jensen unit. It will tell you if you have BT. Also you could just wire the sound bar into the front AUX plug.
Also why not just replace the CC speakers with some high end of the same size? Sound bars are nothing more than a long box with speakers in it. They sound fine but swapping the current Jensen junk speakers for some quality Bose, Infinity, etc would improve the sound as well.
Not sure if you have a subwoofer. If not then going with a sound bar and wireless subwoofer would be the way to go as opposed to upgrading the CC speakers and adding a subwoofer.
We have a subwoofer in our SOB 5th along with 4 speakers in the ceiling and it sounds pretty good. Nothing like our home system but considering we are usually close to others when camping it's hard to crank it up without bothering a fellow camper anyway.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
I am not talking about a receiver, but the Jensen radio/DVD/CD player CC installs. I find nothing that says it is Bluetooth. I am just trying to find out if the radio has audio OUT connections before I tear it out of the wall to see since the instructions are very limited too. I know the TV has audio OUT connections so that is not a problem. I just want to be able to listen to FM/CD on something other then the cheap 5 inch speakers CC installs. So are there connections on the back of the radio to connect to a sound bar?????
I see that, after rereading your post, you describing the receiver as the Jenson unit in your RV. To many of us, when we see receiver, we think of a unit like the YAMAHA receivers that perform several functions, not the tuner/radio that already installed in the RV.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

most sound bars also have AM/FM receivers as well
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
I opted to trash the sound bar and install my Onkyo 6.1 receiver and Bose speakers.
Thinking of doing something similar in my new Coachmen Pursuit. Curious about how you routed speaker wires around inside the rig. That's my sticking point. I have plenty of room in the MH for a true "home" theater system, but not sure how to get wires from the receiver to the speakers.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #14

Went to Walmart and bought a Vizio sound bar. Excellent sound and less than $50 (no bluetooth) or less than $100 w/bluetooth. Super easy connection/installation.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

I built a shelf over the TV (it swivels to the bed room) and put a sound bar there. It is wired to the headphone jack of the Jensen TV. It works great, maybe too great. It has a subwoofer in it and will get extremely loud.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	90807 Sorry the picture is upside down. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #16

I had my C in Best buy to have a pair of Kickers to replace the stock door speakers, and I asked the tech about the sound bar and he felt aroud the side of my tv { 42" entertainment center ] instead of bunk and said it was an easy plug in. The
samsung sound bar in my home tv plugs into the back.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #17

I installed a Vizio sound bar that we purchased from Sam's Club. Hooked into the TV through fiber optic and off the stereo with RCA jacks Can blue tooth phone also. Sounds great and has a wireless subwoofer.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
Thinking of doing something similar in my new Coachmen Pursuit. Curious about how you routed speaker wires around inside the rig. That's my sticking point. I have plenty of room in the MH for a true "home" theater system, but not sure how to get wires from the receiver to the speakers.
In our application, I “remodeled” the shelves in the entertainment cabinet to fit the 18lb receiver and removed one door (so the receiver remote would work).
I mounted the FL and FR Bose cubes to the front cabinet stiles of the entertainment cabinet. Routed the wires up and behind the window valance and to the Bose cubes. FC speaker sits were original “HiFi” surround speaker was.
I routed 3pr of speaker wires from the bottom front corner of the entertainment cabinet under the sofa to the RL, RC and RR to the rear corner of the slide behind the lazyboy. Then routed the wires up the corner of the wall and used the window valences to route and hide the wires. I mounted the RL and RR cubes to the top of the valances in opposite corners. For now, RC speaker is on floor behind the lazyboys……

As for the 3pr of speaker wires under the sofa, I attached one end of a light weight spring to the wires (with added insulation) and the other end of the spring is attached to the floor with a small screw. The spring is just enough to pull the wires out of sight when the slides are out, and give enough slack when the slides are in.

I’ll take some pictures of it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	90833  
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
In our application, I “remodeled” the shelves in the entertainment cabinet to fit the 18lb receiver and removed one door (so the receiver remote would work).
I mounted the FL and FR Bose cubes to the front cabinet stiles of the entertainment cabinet. Routed the wires up and behind the window valance and to the Bose cubes. FC speaker sits were original “HiFi” surround speaker was.
I routed 3pr of speaker wires from the bottom front corner of the entertainment cabinet under the sofa to the RL, RC and RR to the rear corner of the slide behind the lazyboy. Then routed the wires up the corner of the wall and used the window valences to route and hide the wires. I mounted the RL and RR cubes to the top of the valances in opposite corners. For now, RC speaker is on floor behind the lazyboys……

As for the 3pr of speaker wires under the sofa, I attached one end of a light weight spring to the wires (with added insulation) and the other end of the spring is attached to the floor with a small screw. The spring is just enough to pull the wires out of sight when the slides are out, and give enough slack when the slides are in.

I’ll take some pictures of it this weekend.
Looks like a nice installation. Looking forward to seeing some pics. We pick up our Pursuit this weekend... can't wait to start "modding."

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

I connected my TV to the Jensen sound system through the Audio out on the TV and the auxiliary in on the radio. Sound is better than using the TV speakers. When I watch TV outside, I can use the outside speakers for sound instead of the TV speakers. If I'm watching the same show on the indoor TV.
mbienve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen