Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Installing Maxxair Fanmate cover

I purchased 3 of these units to install over my fantastic fans on my 33RL. However they appear to not be high enough to allow the fan cover to fully open. Does the cover stop when it hits these and stay open or does it close again. Anyone have these on there fantastic fans.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
I purchased 3 of these units to install over my fantastic fans on my 33RL. However they appear to not be high enough to allow the fan cover to fully open. Does the cover stop when it hits these and stay open or does it close again. Anyone have these on there fantastic fans.
Are all your Fans "Auto-Open"? If they are manual no need to have the LID open "all the way" they will still move more air than you will want! Youroo!!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Yes 2 of them are auto open.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Yes 2 of them are auto open.
You really need to have your Complete model#s of each Fan and call Fantastic as LOTS of Model#s can have "Features" that will cause issues! Rain auto close ect. Youroo!!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doug I have the fan mate on my auto fan, no issues.

The fanmate cover needs to be slid all the way back to the fan housing when mounted .

My auto Lid goes up and just barely touches the fanmate and stops
I suspect you centered the vent?

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

No actually just about to install them today. Good tip I'll put them back as far as possible. Thxs. Will let you all know how it turns out
Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

I was wondering how u get power to the fantastic fan? My bedroom vent has no power. How in the world would u run power to it??

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I was wondering how u get power to the fantastic fan? My bedroom vent has no power. How in the world would u run power to it??
If there is a light near the vent one can easily fish a couple of wires from the light to the vent for power.

The light will need to be on to power the fan so make sure this will not be an issue.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

I am pretty sure there are no lights near my vent but if there are u have the solution ........ tnx!

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I am pretty sure there are no lights near my vent but if there are u have the solution ........ tnx!

That's how I wired my fan in my last unit, overhead light.
It was about 20" away from vent .
Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
No actually just about to install them today. Good tip I'll put them back as far as possible. Thxs. Will let you all know how it turns out

Move it all the way back and you should be fine.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Our BR vent is prewired for a vent fan, but nothing is showing. The sales person stated that when removing the old vent, the wires are there. You may want to check with a dealer to see if you are that lucky.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

The light will need to be on to power the fan so make sure this will not be an issue.

Why would it have to be wired to the light switch ? There should be no reason that the fan cant be wired directly to the power source before the light switch, not after?

I want to place one with both an in and an outflow in my forward vent in our Rockwood 2304KS. There is a light close by.
Also need one of those Maxxair covers to eliminate the rain issues. I LOVE the one that came with the bathroom in our tt
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #14

Well I installed all 3 maxxair fan covers and yes the vent does hit the cover at the very end. However does not seem to be an issue. Should even stop any noise/rattle the fan lid could make in a bad wind.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Well I installed all 3 maxxair fan covers and yes the vent does hit the cover at the very end. However does not seem to be an issue. Should even stop any noise/rattle the fan lid could make in a bad wind.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post

Why would it have to be wired to the light switch ? There should be no reason that the fan cant be wired directly to the power source before the light switch, not after?

I want to place one with both an in and an outflow in my forward vent in our Rockwood 2304KS. There is a light close by.
Also need one of those Maxxair covers to eliminate the rain issues. I LOVE the one that came with the bathroom in our tt
If the light is operated by a wall switch, the power (black wire) should come first to the switch, then to the fixture. The neutral (white wire) would bypass the switch and go directly to the fixture. If your unit has a cigarette lighter type outlet near the switch, this is the logical way to wire. I am thinking that this is the wiring method in campers. In this instance, the light switch has to remain on for the fan to work. If your ceiling fixture has an on/off switch, the light would be operated from fixture switch and the fan would also have to be operated at the fan (unless you wanted neither on).

An optional wiring method is to wire the hot lead at the fixture, then bring the hot lead through switch and back to the black wire on the fixture. The latter is used to eliminate long runs of neutral wire. I don't think your that lucky. But, if you are, you won't need to go through the switch.

This is a fan we are considering.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APSSPEA/...=IAV65WUYC3IK7
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Youroo!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Youroo!!
Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words. But to the doer, success is for a lifetime.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #19

Max Air on both kitchen and bath. No issue. Saves our senses when cooking during inclement weather.
Sensors are a GREAT thing until it rains and they fail! I HATE GADGETS!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Sorry I'm late responding, but I ran into the same thing a few months ago. I found somewhere that the lid motor stops by sensing the current flow. When the lid hits the fan cover, the current increases and the motor stops. Before the fan cover was installed, the cover extends until the brackets stop it, Again, the current increases to the point that the motor shuts off.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fan