Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Insufficient batteries?

Our 2015 Silverback 31RK came with 2 6v batteries, and after we came home, as I was checking things out, I then noticed a sign which said, "this unit requires 4 6v batteries", does this mean the dealer did not install the required amount of batteries?

Was that sign put their by FR? and if so, then should FR have put the set amount of batteries inside?

I looked at the space where the 2 batteries are installed and do not see any more space avail for 2 more batteries and I wonder if that's the reason why, or if I got gypped out of 2 more 6v batteries.

thanks,

bill & jodi

Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #2

Do you have a residential fridge installed? If so, it should have come with four 6v batteries from Cedar Creek. If is a regular electric/propane fridge, your unit should only require two 6v batteries. You can, however, install another two if you so desire.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 34 nights and 3875km.......so far

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #3

the fridge has 2 doors for bottom and 2 on the top. is that residential? hmmm will need to see where 2 more 6v batteries can go, currently where they are at is it. no more room there.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #4

That should be an RV fridge.
The term battery is relative, it depends on the Amp/h rating and whether it's deep cycle, hybrid or starter, then there are AGM, Gel and vented wet cell batteries.
When you have an RV fridge and 2 6Volt true deep cycle batteries with 200+ Amp/h each you should be in better shape than guys with 2 12 Volt batteries @ 100 Amp/h each unless you do serious boondocking.
If you had a residential fridge you would also have an inverter drawing 12 DC from the batteries and transforming it into 120 Volt AC electricity for the fridge.
If you do decide to upgrade be aware of the weight, our batteries add 450# to the weight of the trailer.
To add more batteries you should know that they need to be vented unless they are AGM type batteries, then you could mount them anywhere, even under your bed and upside down.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

good to know our's is the rv type fridge, and yes our batteries are 200+ amps and deep cycle. so we should be good. orig was going to be a single 12V battery but during our visit, we asked dealer if we could get the 6v batteries since we heard they were better.

not sure if they are AGM, gel, and there is a vented hole at bottom so air can come in and out, just no more space for battery, unless I put t hem on the other side of the "wall" where our current batteries are stored. we don't boondock, but we though as a "just in case" we needed extra battery power.

our unit came with a 55 amp converter, thought this was kinda small, our TT had a 65 amp converter.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #6

55 amps is plenty since that is over 20% of your battery capacity...wet cells can't take more than 20% of capacity as a charging current. If you add 2 6V batteries or go to AGMS down the road...you should double that.

I'd also like to correct a misconception repeated earlier. 2 6V deep cycle batteries that provide 200 amps hours of energy are not ONE bit better than 2 12V 100amp hour deep cycle batteries. In fact one can make an excellent case that 2 100 amp deep cycle 12Volts are better because if ONE failes...then the other can still keep you camping. Not so with dual 6Volts.
The major reasons why 6 volts are popular are:
1. You can get them cheap at Sams or Costco...WAY cheaper than the equivilent 12volters. More bang for the buck.

2. Confusion in the 12V realm between underperforming dual purpose "deep cycle " batteries and TRUE deep cycle 12Volters. The former suck as house batteries and will not perform cycling duties as well as the 6Volt OR 12V true deep cycles. Unfortunately, due to their cheapness they are often supplied as OEM batteries and then condemned by the owners to an early death!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Flooded batteries have caps on the top where you can check the fluid level and top up with dest. water. AGM batteries are sealed, no top up possible or needed and since they are sealed corrosive vapors can not escape and cause corrosion on the battery posts or elsewhere in the battery compartment. If you are not sure what you have post a pic.
Regarding the 55 Amp vs. 65 Amp charger, the difference is minor. A 55 Amp dc charger draws roughly 5.5 Amp ac from the pedestal where the 65 Amp charger draws roughly 6.5 Amp. You need to consider this draw when turning on the air conditioner or other appliances.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
55 amps is plenty since that is over 20% of your battery capacity...wet cells can't take more than 20% of capacity as a charging current. If you add 2 6V batteries or go to AGMS down the road...you should double that.

I'd also like to correct a misconception repeated earlier. 2 6V deep cycle batteries that provide 200 amps hours of energy are not ONE bit better than 2 12V 100amp hour deep cycle batteries. In fact one can make an excellent case that 2 100 amp deep cycle 12Volts are better because if ONE failes...then the other can still keep you camping. Not so with dual 6Volts.
The major reasons why 6 volts are popular are:
1. You can get them cheap at Sams or Costco...WAY cheaper than the equivilent 12volters. More bang for the buck.

2. Confusion in the 12V realm between underperforming dual purpose "deep cycle " batteries and TRUE deep cycle 12Volters. The former suck as house batteries and will not perform cycling duties as well as the 6Volt OR 12V true deep cycles. Unfortunately, due to their cheapness they are often supplied as OEM batteries and then condemned by the owners to an early death!
The big problem IMO is unclear or misleading labeling in the industry.
I personally prefer AGM's in solar applications, where they due to repeated charging and discharging won't gas off and lose fluid like flooded batteries and the corrosion free battery compartment alone is worth the extra cost to me.
On the other hand for someone who neglects or abuses their batteries, the cheapest ones are still to expensive.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #9

whewww lots to go over and research on batteries, i think i have the wet one as their is a top on the battery where it looks like you need to check for fluid. will check it tomorrow during noon time and post pic if still unsure. thanks lots for the info.

Tags
battery