Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

Insurance

We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?
Bbbarker194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Insurance

We bought our 2015 Wildcat last October and switched from Safeco (now owned by Liberty Mutual) and went with Progressive. Went from around $600 per year for 2009 Wilderness to $375 per year, also got full replacement cost in the new insurance and much better coverage. Just me and wife, and credit union, on policy.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

2013 CKTS
Progressive Ins.
Full replacement cost:

COMP $250 DED TOTAL LOSS REPLACE/PURCHASE PRICE $193.00
PURCHASE PRICE $60,000
COLL $2,500 DED TOTAL LOSS REPLACE/PURCHASE PRICE $92.00
PURCHASE PRICE $60,000
MEXICO COVERAGE INCL
FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICE $1,000 INCL
EMERGENCY EXPENSE $750 INCL
VACATION LIABILITY $10,000 INCL
$2,000 REPLACEMENT COST PE $100 DED $13.00
Premium by Vehicle $298.00
Total Policy Premium $298.00
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

National General insures our 2014 CC 38FL for $344/6mo....wish they'd offer a yearly policy, but it is what it is
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
National General insures our 2014 CC 38FL for $344/6mo....wish they'd offer a yearly policy, but it is what it is

They do offer annual policies. I have an annual policy through Good Sam with National General. 2015 Silverback. Value $60,000. $1,000 deductible at $451 annual premium. Just renewed it two weeks ago. Full replacement and all other normal stuff. Lower deductible will cost MORE for sure. I am prepared for assuming a larger out of pocket risk. Vehicles (2) including TV thru State Farm. Motorcycles (2) thru Progressive.
Each company has their risk preferences and I choose accordingly.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?
A lot of the rates for different insurance policies depend on the state and what city you live in. Plus how in our case where the camper is stored.

I have State Farm Insurance and I am charged a little of $650 a year with a $500 dollar deductible. I live outside of Chicago by 40 miles and if I lived in the city of Chicago my rates would be even higher. My agent asked where I store my camper since the village has an ordnance against storing trailers on your propriety; unless it is in the back yard. Mine is stored in a secured lot that has a password protected gate and has video recording cameras on site. this too will effect the rates of your insurance.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:

Do this; Get a quote from progressive, as they are EXTREMELY competitive. Chances are it will be considerably less with more coverage. By that I mean the incidentals that can creep up like expenses if your vehicle is damaged while on vacation, living expenses, etc. their policy seems to reimburse more. Now heres what your current insurance co might do to you to punish you for not bringing your RV into the "fold".

They might remove your multivehicle discounts on the vehicles they already insure, raise your premium on any PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy) to punish you further.
Guess how I know! Good luck.

Oh, PS one of the biggest factors driving your rates is your credit rating. Years ago insurance companies discoverred that your score is directly related to payouts, so as an example, the lower your score the higher your premium. This is one factor of course, that drives your premium, so thats why they do a credit check on you before they finalize any premium.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

Insurance rate discussion thread

Quote:
Here is a link to a thread that just held this same discussion a couple months ago to give you an idea of the varying rates people have encountered:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-74265.html
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #9

I have NC Farm Bureau insurance and mine is $333.00 every six months, that's covered $70,000.00 for the camper. I have a $100.00 deductible, you think I should raise the deductible up on the camper?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Do this; Get a quote from progressive, as they are EXTREMELY competitive. Chances are it will be considerably less with more coverage. By that I mean the incidentals that can creep up like expenses if your vehicle is damaged while on vacation, living expenses, etc. their policy seems to reimburse more. Now heres what your current insurance co might do to you to punish you for not bringing your RV into the "fold".

They might remove your multivehicle discounts on the vehicles they already insure, raise your premium on any PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy) to punish you further.
Guess how I know! Good luck.

Oh, PS one of the biggest factors driving your rates is your credit rating. Years ago insurance companies discoverred that your score is directly related to payouts, so as an example, the lower your score the higher your premium. This is one factor of course, that drives your premium, so thats why they do a credit check on you before they finalize any premium.
Yep... X-2 I had Allstate for 25 years... They were unwilling to budge on price. Needless to say, I'm saving $2500 a year by shopping and comparing. My coverage is better and covers more.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

I don't want to change the subject but how high is your uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance do you carry on your tow vehicle? It's a shame you have to have it

Old 05-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

We had Liberty Mutual for years. Never had a problem with them, but then our premium kept going up every year so we shopped around and decided to go with a local State Farm agent. They may be cheaper but we've had TONS of problems with them getting our information and billing correct.

They kept getting our old trailer and our new trailer mixed up. They somehow had one of our vehicles on the policy twice. Then when they cancelled one of them the loan company for our trailer (Bank of the West) somehow thought we cancelled our trailer coverage. That took 2 or 3 phone calls to finally get sorted out. There's probably a few more things I'm forgetting.

Cheaper doesn't always mean better.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

I have had good luck with Farm Bureau insurance, last year I was asking something about my premium and I told them I had a accident with the camper and I was going to pay for it out of my pocket to keep my rate from going up and was told if it was under, I think $1200 then it would not cause the rate to go up, so they fixed the camper

Old 05-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We had Liberty Mutual for years. Never had a problem with them, but then our premium kept going up every year so we shopped around and decided to go with a local State Farm agent. They may be cheaper but we've had TONS of problems with them getting our information and billing correct.

They kept getting our old trailer and our new trailer mixed up. They somehow had one of our vehicles on the policy twice. Then when they cancelled one of them the loan company for our trailer (Bank of the West) somehow thought we cancelled our trailer coverage. That took 2 or 3 phone calls to finally get sorted out. There's probably a few more things I'm forgetting.

Cheaper doesn't always mean better.

I have my camper financed with Bank of the West and I could be wrong but I think Bank of the West and Good Sam is connective somehow, I had the same problem and I think I smell a rat. Bank of the West would like for you to use Good Sam insurance

Old 05-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #15

Tolerance for risk

I posted earlier. However, State Farm, which we have had for 40 years and multi car, would not come close to other quotes. ( National General)

Lots of factors go into policy ratings from risk.

Make some calls, determine your personal out of pocket at risk for a deductible and make a decision you can live with. For me, $1000 is ok. Live and store in a low HAIL area, no flood zone. BUT, on my previous 2011 Keystone, $1200 out of pocket for $3300 blowout!! Your choice.
Stuff happens!!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #16

National General

Forgot: my $1,000 deductible goes down 25% each year claim free until $0 and stays there until an issue and claim and reverts back to $1,000, etc.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #17

Good Sam quoted ~800, Travelers ~550. Similar policy but GSam had a full replacement value instead of market value. Otherwise not too different,
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #18

Thanks so much for all the info.
Bbbarker194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

We have AAA (Auto, Home, and on our Silverback) the annual on the trailer isnt nearly what your being asked. I dont have the policy handy at the moment. not to mention that our AAA premier roadside includes 200 mile RV towing not just the normal passenger vechicle
elrand is offline   Reply With Quote