Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 68
Insurance

We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?
__________________

__________________
Bbbarker194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 99
Insurance

We bought our 2015 Wildcat last October and switched from Safeco (now owned by Liberty Mutual) and went with Progressive. Went from around $600 per year for 2009 Wilderness to $375 per year, also got full replacement cost in the new insurance and much better coverage. Just me and wife, and credit union, on policy.
__________________

__________________
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Member
 
kinzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 51
2013 CKTS
Progressive Ins.
Full replacement cost:

COMP $250 DED TOTAL LOSS REPLACE/PURCHASE PRICE $193.00
PURCHASE PRICE $60,000
COLL $2,500 DED TOTAL LOSS REPLACE/PURCHASE PRICE $92.00
PURCHASE PRICE $60,000
MEXICO COVERAGE INCL
FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICE $1,000 INCL
EMERGENCY EXPENSE $750 INCL
VACATION LIABILITY $10,000 INCL
$2,000 REPLACEMENT COST PE $100 DED $13.00
Premium by Vehicle $298.00
Total Policy Premium $298.00
__________________
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Mddle of the Rd Extremist
 
MeepMeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 540
National General insures our 2014 CC 38FL for $344/6mo....wish they'd offer a yearly policy, but it is what it is
__________________
Dan, Carolyn & The Bandit (1999-2015 RIP...)
MCPO (Retired)
United States Navy ('65 - '87)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dacula, Georgia
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
National General insures our 2014 CC 38FL for $344/6mo....wish they'd offer a yearly policy, but it is what it is

They do offer annual policies. I have an annual policy through Good Sam with National General. 2015 Silverback. Value $60,000. $1,000 deductible at $451 annual premium. Just renewed it two weeks ago. Full replacement and all other normal stuff. Lower deductible will cost MORE for sure. I am prepared for assuming a larger out of pocket risk. Vehicles (2) including TV thru State Farm. Motorcycles (2) thru Progressive.
Each company has their risk preferences and I choose accordingly.
__________________
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?
A lot of the rates for different insurance policies depend on the state and what city you live in. Plus how in our case where the camper is stored.

I have State Farm Insurance and I am charged a little of $650 a year with a $500 dollar deductible. I live outside of Chicago by 40 miles and if I lived in the city of Chicago my rates would be even higher. My agent asked where I store my camper since the village has an ordnance against storing trailers on your propriety; unless it is in the back yard. Mine is stored in a secured lot that has a password protected gate and has video recording cameras on site. this too will effect the rates of your insurance.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 112K+miles
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?

Do this; Get a quote from progressive, as they are EXTREMELY competitive. Chances are it will be considerably less with more coverage. By that I mean the incidentals that can creep up like expenses if your vehicle is damaged while on vacation, living expenses, etc. their policy seems to reimburse more. Now heres what your current insurance co might do to you to punish you for not bringing your RV into the "fold".

They might remove your multivehicle discounts on the vehicles they already insure, raise your premium on any PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy) to punish you further.
Guess how I know! Good luck.

Oh, PS one of the biggest factors driving your rates is your credit rating. Years ago insurance companies discoverred that your score is directly related to payouts, so as an example, the lower your score the higher your premium. This is one factor of course, that drives your premium, so thats why they do a credit check on you before they finalize any premium.
__________________
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 116
Insurance rate discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
We have our 2014 Cedar Creek fifth-wheel insured through Allstate in North Carolina on a policy with our homeowners insurance and two other vehicles. The insurance on the RV alone is over $1100.00 a year. This seems high to me. What are others paying for insurance?
Here is a link to a thread that just held this same discussion a couple months ago to give you an idea of the varying rates people have encountered:

RV Insurance
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins
4x4, 4.10 Gears, 68RFE Trans
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
I have NC Farm Bureau insurance and mine is $333.00 every six months, that's covered $70,000.00 for the camper. I have a $100.00 deductible, you think I should raise the deductible up on the camper?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
Average Joe
 
MrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mechanicsville, MD
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Do this; Get a quote from progressive, as they are EXTREMELY competitive. Chances are it will be considerably less with more coverage. By that I mean the incidentals that can creep up like expenses if your vehicle is damaged while on vacation, living expenses, etc. their policy seems to reimburse more. Now heres what your current insurance co might do to you to punish you for not bringing your RV into the "fold".

They might remove your multivehicle discounts on the vehicles they already insure, raise your premium on any PLUP (personal liability umbrella policy) to punish you further.
Guess how I know! Good luck.

Oh, PS one of the biggest factors driving your rates is your credit rating. Years ago insurance companies discoverred that your score is directly related to payouts, so as an example, the lower your score the higher your premium. This is one factor of course, that drives your premium, so thats why they do a credit check on you before they finalize any premium.
Yep... X-2 I had Allstate for 25 years... They were unwilling to budge on price. Needless to say, I'm saving $2500 a year by shopping and comparing. My coverage is better and covers more.
__________________

__________________
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.