Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Got an email from the MFR.

While it will not charge the backup batteries; it will "pass through" shore power to the fridge. If Power fails it will automatically switch to inverter power. Leave the inverter on all the time.
Thanks Lou, I have been turning mine off while connected to shore power, understand reason behind not turning off.

2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Days Camping 2014-96, 2015-130, 2016-126, 2017-42 and counting
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #32

I turn mine off while on shore power because the fan is always running while it is on. If we have a power outage while on shore power then I will turn back on.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #33

Inverter refrigerator / Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I had a phone conversation with a Forest River service manager this week about this issue pertaining to my Silverback 29RE. His comment was that the Cedar Creek units are designed for 4 six volt batteries in a series/parallel arrangement to provide 12 volts, and the battery compartment is sized accordingly.
The Silverback units are designed for 2 or 3 twelve volt batteries in parallel.
Remember that the inverters do not have a 12 volt charger built in. They are designed for pass through operation when shore power is connected, and to provide 120 vac when shore power is disconnected.

In both the CC units and the Silverback, all of the 12 volt DC systems are tied together at the batteries.

My dealer installed them incorrectly, and I could measure that the inverter battery was slowly discharging even with shorepower connected while the main battery was holding at 13.6 volts DC.

I went ahead and purchased another battery,....same brand...same size as the originals, and tied all three batteries in parallel. Everything in my coach is now working as it was designed and the batteries are holding at 13.6.

It took awhile for me to reach a good understanding of how it was designed, but once I understood and corrected the wiring, everything is good.

dg
I have two "DieHard Marine/RV Battery-Group Size 24M" batteries in my Silverback 29RE. It is OK for now, but it sound like that may not be enough a year or so down the road. Also my batteries are not tied down. Could someone please post some pictures of what the battery compartment should look like, with proper batteries mounted and secured.
Thank you.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #34

I replaced dealer installed Group 24 Marine battery with a pair of 225 AmpHour 6 volt Trojans adding as big of a cable between them as I could find. Works well to run the inverter all day.

However, when on shore power the charger only seems to take the batteries up to 13.2 volts. That is with the phantom loads still on but seems low.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #35

PS. I have a 31RK Silverback. The battery box held 2 T105 golf cart batteries but not made for 4. I looked at the -12v Trojan but only room for one and I think the largest that would fit was 175 Ah
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentf View Post
I replaced dealer installed Group 24 Marine battery with a pair of 225 AmpHour 6 volt Trojans adding as big of a cable between them as I could find. Works well to run the inverter all day.

However, when on shore power the charger only seems to take the batteries up to 13.2 volts. That is with the phantom loads still on but seems low.

If your converter is doing what it's supposed to do then 13.2 is what it's supposed to run at. My converter is a 3 stage charger and in float charge 13.2 is good, that's the last stage. Try unplugging your camper for a day and let camper pull down the battery some and the plug camper back into shore power and see what it reads, it should be higher and then when the batteries get charged again it will drop down to 13.2

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
I have two "DieHard Marine/RV Battery-Group Size 24M" batteries in my Silverback 29RE. It is OK for now, but it sound like that may not be enough a year or so down the road. Also my batteries are not tied down. Could someone please post some pictures of what the battery compartment should look like, with proper batteries mounted and secured.
Thank you.

Batteries should all be the same age, if you add another battery in a year or two you will not have one new battery and two older batteries you will have three older batteries.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
I turn mine off while on shore power because the fan is always running while it is on. If we have a power outage while on shore power then I will turn back on.

My fan does not run all the time

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #39

I have unplugged my Cedar Creek and I plan to see how long it takes for the batteries to get to 50 percent

Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #40

Batteries got down to 12.2 volts which is about 60 percent. That's just seven hours. I have trip planned this week but I will check everything out when I get back, just a short trip, five days. Those batteries are pitiful. I have to save up for the Trojan's

Tags
inverter, refrigerator