Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #21

Absolutely no excuse for a hitch to bend during a hard stop, even if the trailer brakes are completely disconnected. A free replacement doesn't make up for a weak design when it's between a 13k lbs trailer and my kids in the back seat. If you like that style of hitch, maybe look at the certified, non crushed tube design Pullrite version.
MIFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFarmer View Post
Absolutely no excuse for a hitch to bend during a hard stop, even if the trailer brakes are completely disconnected. A free replacement doesn't make up for a weak design when it's between a 13k lbs trailer and my kids in the back seat. If you like that style of hitch, maybe look at the certified, non crushed tube design Pullrite version.
I believe it was stated that the bent hitch was replaced with a "new design" hitch.

Seems to me Andersen has improved upon the original...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
I believe it was stated that the bent hitch was replaced with a "new design" hitch.

Seems to me Andersen has improved upon the original...
So there was a design flaw with the original hitches. Did they replace all the previously sold flawed hitches or just the ones that failed?

Tubes are strong. Flattened tubes are not. The only strength that remains in a crushed tube is when it's in tension (being pulled). This is in line with Andersen owners with failed hitches reporting that the rear tubes were fine (tension) while the front tubes deformed (compression). The improved design has four tubes crushed flat in eight positions in two separate axis (90 degrees from each other). Not ideal.

The "crush" video on their website is pointless, as it does not emulate or mimic any sort of load that the hitch will experience in real life (such as the horizontal loads in question). A soda can will support a full-grown adult standing on it. This is why the SAE J2638 Certification is critical, as it emulates real-life loads placed on the hitch. Production hitches are tested by a 3rd party to static and dynamic (real world) loads, in all three axis, with 300,000 cycles in each direction. Any structural deformation or failure to couple/uncouple after the test are fails. A good read on this standard can be found here.

As that article states: “Fatigue loads are the tough one to pass... The static load is the strength of the components. That's relatively straightforward.” When the Ultimate series of hitches shows up with a J2638 sticker, then their claim of "strongest 5th wheel hitch in the world" might have some validity.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #24
Always Learning

(beat dead horse)

Yet another Andersen thread where it ends up being an argument between owners who actually use the product and are satisfied and people who have never used the product.

Carry on.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #25

Another Andersen satisfied customer!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #26

The percentage of Samsung Note 7s that actually caught fire was extremely small. There were folks that sent theirs back, and there were others that kept them because they didn't think there was a problem. Everyone has their own level of risk they are willing to expose themselves to.

Just because a hitch stays together during normal towing doesn't make it good or safe.

Carry on indeed.
MIFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #27
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(beat dead horse)

Yet another Andersen thread where it ends up being an argument between owners who actually use the product and are satisfied and people who have never used the product.

Carry on.
Truth!

Hey but the good new is that by the end of the day that horse will be beaten on many other threads.

many. way too many

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminz View Post
I personally reside on the safe overbuilt side. As I said before I don't have real issues with this hitch except I agree with both sides. If you are looking for a lightweight hitch that easy to install/uninstall and like a ball mount this may be the hitch for you and may almost never fail. I do agree that the thin pipe that it is made of does have real world issues with strengths of welds. The weld may be 100% but may possibly cause issues with strength of ajoining metal. When I shopped around and found the hitch I purchased and while being manufactured I made some major changes with the mounting.

While at a campground close to my home I spoke to fellow campers griving a 650 Ford with a modified well known hitch. They had misjudged following distance and ran into the rear of another vehicle. Their Ford 350 DRW had a 20k well known hitch mounted with bed rails. The collision caused the RV to continue forward enough to crumple the hitch and bed rails down into the truck bed. This painted a picture in my mind that helped me in the increase in my mounting. During the hitch fabrication I had another welder friend add a 3/8" flat plate to the bottom of the hitch and added shocks.

I mounted the hitch to the original underbed mounting and also added two additional cross frame tubing.

I will survive a much greater bump. I like over engineering.

Wow some setup, just too much Hitch for me we only get out 30-40 nights so not many trips.

I went with the Andersen and talked to many owners before I bought that, we will see this weekend.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(beat dead horse)

Carry on.
X2

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #30

I get it. Lots of satisfied Andersen customers.

It's super light. There's no slop, since it's a ball. Every time you'd use it, you would enjoy those advantages. Both advantages over any standard 5th wheel hitch. I'm with you up to that point.

But how safe are these things? I'm not looking for opinions. I'm looking for the guy who bumped something or got hit from behind and the hitch maintained its integrity. The company won't submit their product for outside testing (or has and it failed), so they can't provide that data. The original design couldn't even handle a hard stop without bending, so I think this is a valid question.

So I'm not looking for the guy who's satisfied because it's really light, or because it holds the camper in place between campsites like every other hitch out there. Who here is satisfied that the Ultimate hitch held together when things didn't go as planned?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #31

Thanks for all the information on Andersen hitches. I can see that there are a lot of opinions on each side of the issue. I appreciate all who have replied. For an update my friend has purchased a B&W Companion hitch. He just didn't have a warm fuzzy about the Andersen.
splong16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #32

I am looking for someone with a Cedar Creek and Trail air pin pin box who is using this hitch
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #33

I keep looking for the Safety Chains for the Andersen hitch, I think Legally with that gooseneck hitch you must use Safety Chains
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #34

They are available from Andersen
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I keep looking for the Safety Chains for the Andersen hitch, I think Legally with that gooseneck hitch you must use Safety Chains

I spoke to Jason at Andersen and since the way their hitch sits is diff then a regular Gooseneck you don't need them. He said they only had one person get pulled over in Arizona and get hassled by it. That being said I have the Hitch and it covers the pucks so I can't use my chain tie downs and I am not drilling new holes in my bed. If I ever get hassled I will order their chain kit and just connect the chains to the bed mounted Andersen hitch NOT drilling new homes no way.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #36

Quote:
You may be right, but when I was talking to Andersen a year or so ago, they said it was optional. Use them if you want.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #37

You just have to drill holes in the Anderson base plate to uncover the factory Ford mounts.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #38

Quote:

It's not a gooseneck.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
I am looking for someone with a Cedar Creek and Trail air pin pin box who is using this hitch
I have CC with Trail air pin box. Use it with Andersen hitch. Never had a problem and FW rides nice.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #40

Long or short box, and do you have the block facing forward or back (more or less cab clearance position)

Tags
hitch