Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Is my pin box a Lippert 1621 HD?

Have a 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. Want to change from my not so hot Trail Air pin box to a MorRyde. My biggest problem is chucking. Anyway is the stock pin box a Lippert 1621 HD? My rig is in storage several miles away and I would like to save a trip. Thank you.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Have a 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. Want to change from my not so hot Trail Air pin box to a MorRyde. My biggest problem is chucking. Anyway is the stock pin box a Lippert 1621 HD? My rig is in storage several miles away and I would like to save a trip. Thank you.

Yep, that's the one.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post

Keep us posted, I have a not so hot TrailAir. I should have got the MorRyde long ago.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

Y'all can get 'em if you want 'em, but I did something that made a heck of a difference.

Trailair comes in more than one size. My 36CKTS had an 18,000 lb Trailair. Not impressed. Had to air it up past the max recommended poundage to even get it past the arrows.

Had Orvan change it to a 21,000 lb model, the one on most Champagne models. Now, can put 93 lbs of air in it and it works great just shy of being "full" of air. Nothing magic, but it did make a difference in the way it pulled.

Just a thought.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Y'all can get 'em if you want 'em, but I did something that made a heck of a difference.

Trailair comes in more than one size. My 36CKTS had an 18,000 lb Trailair. Not impressed. Had to air it up past the max recommended poundage to even get it past the arrows.

Had Orvan change it to a 21,000 lb model, the one on most Champagne models. Now, can put 93 lbs of air in it and it works great just shy of being "full" of air. Nothing magic, but it did make a difference in the way it pulled.

Just a thought.
Found a great deal on a MorRyde that is less than a year old. Came off of a trade-in and his new rig already had one. Maybe it will work better, maybe not. Only one way to find out. I air my Trailair up to 93 PSI that gets me to the top of the arrow. The chucking part is what gets me along with having to air it up every time I use it. Has to be a better way. I'll let you know.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #6

Is my pin box a Lippert 1621 HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Just a thought.

Did Orvan change the pin box or just a bigger air bladder? Mine wouldn’t be to bad if I could keep air in it besides I never saw any difference between a standard pin box or a TrailAir
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

The chucking will come from a lose fit between the hitch jaws and the king pin box. The TrailAir will not solve this issue at all. I am not even sure the MorRyde will be any better.

I did eliminate the chucking I had with my TrailAir pin box and the hitch jaws. I replaced my Hitch from a Reese manual sliding hitch with a lose set of jaws. To a Demco Glide auto slider hitch. The hitch jaws are a tight fit around the king pin and I have no more slop between the king pin and jaws, thus no chucking.

I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in ride quality between the Reese hitch jaws fit and the Demco Auto Glide hitch jaws fit. No chucking and no bouncing between the trailer and truck with the TrailAir king pin box.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
The chucking will come from a lose fit between the hitch jaws and the king pin box. The TrailAir will not solve this issue at all. I am not even sure the MorRyde will be any better.

I did eliminate the chucking I had with my TrailAir pin box and the hitch jaws. I replaced my Hitch from a Reese manual sliding hitch with a lose set of jaws. To a Demco Glide auto slider hitch. The hitch jaws are a tight fit around the king pin and I have no more slop between the king pin and jaws, thus no chucking.

I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in ride quality between the Reese hitch jaws fit and the Demco Auto Glide hitch jaws fit. No chucking and no bouncing between the trailer and truck with the TrailAir king pin box.
No loose fit on my hitch. Bought a new B&W just after I got the trailer. Best hitches made. There are lots of reasons for chucking. Loose hitch fit is only one of them from what I've learned.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Chucking is a minor irritant compared to the real damage that can be done by vertical impact born from poor bridge transitions, dips in the road, and other fun road conditions. These newer Lippert chassis underneath 97% of all towable RVs now cannot take the pounding of vertical impact. At some point a Lippert frame overhang will fail if subjected to unmitigated vertical pin hitch plate impact. Please don't worry so much about chucking and worry more about the potential for frame damage. Whether you use an air bag equipped pin box or an energy absorbing hitch the damage it could save you will make a little chucking look like a mosquito bite. The MorRyde rubber pin box will dampen the chucking to some degree but chucking is a byproduct of a sloppy hitch setup. Take the slop out and the chucking will be diminished greatly.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #10

I had 2 different Keystone Montana models with the MorRyde pin box. They did OK on reducing chucking. With the standard pin box on my Silverback ... I decided to go with the Fifth Airborne which is a variant of the Trail Air. It just hinges opposite and encloses the air puck and shock. I really think the Fifth Airborne does a better job overall than the MorRyde ever did. It noticeably cushions the bumps more. One thing I did to adjust for what chucking there was .... ran with about 1/3 or better tank of fresh water. The difference was noticeable once I had about 1/3 tank of water on board. There are a few choices of rubber blocks that go inside the MorRyde pin box ... you may need to go up or down a few durometer numbers. The number is stamped on the rubber block which unfortunately you have to remove to read.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

I have no chucking with the B&W 18K Patriot and Trailair on my 2019 34RL2. I use to have minor chucking with the Husky hitch and the Trailair on my 2009 Silverback 32WRL....so I figure the B&W gets the "credit" for eliminating chucking....IMO.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote