Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

JT Strongarm stabilizers and your Cedar Creek

We are considering on purchasing the late model 2017 CC 36CKTS. I noted that all Cedar Creeks come with the metal wrapping underneath the sides. A feature my dealer was proud of. My concern is that when I asked if they could install some JTStrongarm stabilizers, the maintenance dept. told him they don't do that.

Is it because they don't like to do that, or is it because of the design of the 5er ?

Has anyone used these type of stabilizers or am I stuck with the tripod on the pin solution?

Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

First Welcome to Forestriverforums.com
You have come to the right place to ask the questions before your buy.

My thoughts.
I had installed JT Strongarms on my Rockwood Ultralight and they worked well. I installed them because my 5th wheel was very light and needed a bit more stability in windy conditions and when walking around inside. They worked OK but I still had motion.

Now in your case having a large Cedar Creek which normally come with 6 point levelers I'm surprised you want to install them. I know many with CC and those 5th wheels are rock solid and move very little. You weigh about 13,000 lbs dry which is a lot.
Fully loaded I think you can go up to 16,000 lbs. I would wait and see how things go after a few trips and I think you will be pleasantly surprised how solid the CC is.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

I agree!
My wife always complained about the instability of our Cougar 5th wheel when I walked in it. Therefore I planned on the 6 point leveling system for our next 5th wheel to eliminate this instability when walking. My wife now say's that our Cedar Creek 34RL is rock solid when I walk in the 5th wheel. Now she even wants me to sell our X-chocks that we no longer use, her statement is why keep them since we no longer need them.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I agree!
My wife always complained about the instability of our Cougar 5th wheel when I walked in it. Therefore I planned on the 6 point leveling system for our next 5th wheel to eliminate this instability when walking. My wife now say's that our Cedar Creek 34RL is rock solid when I walk in the 5th wheel. Now she even wants me to sell our X-chocks that we no longer use, her statement is why keep them since we no longer need them.
Stability is just an added bonus of using x-chocks.

They are designed and made for chocking the wheels.
Six point leveling or not... you should ALWAYS be chocking your wheels.
Mine are the first things to go on when arriving, and the last off when leaving.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Stability is just an added bonus of using x-chocks.

They are designed and made for chocking the wheels.
Six point leveling or not... you should ALWAYS be chocking your wheels.
Mine are the first things to go on when arriving, and the last off when leaving.

I have wheel chocks that are used when un-hook the camper. The X-chocks were used to eliminate rocking of the 5th wheel tires in the suspension when we were set up a long with a tri- pod stand. These did work but you still had some instability do to the suspension design of trailers.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to splong16
We have a 2017 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS. We have found that there is no need for
JTStrongarm stabilizers. We have been in a couple of very windy conditions ( Oklahoma) The trailer does not move, it is rock solid. I suggest you camp in it a few times before thinking about any form of stabilization.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stan and Linda Long
2017 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS Hathaway Edition
2015 GMC 3500 4x4 SRW
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I will take your advice and wait until I've been in the unit for awhile before making any decision on them.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
CCRVOC

A year ago, I bought JTs at the rally from the Lippert tent. When I went to have them installed at their factory, 2 days later they would not install them. They said it would ruin the seals on the jacks. They refunded my $$.
I know one person who installed JTs on their 36 CKTS without a problem, so I don't know. There is much discussion about this, but what I know is, Lippert , who makes the 6 point would not install JTs that they sell..

After living in our rig for the last ten months, we don't need them anyways.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

My neighbor in the present campsite has 6 point leveling on his 5er. He uses a tripod under the hitch pin and two stabilizers under both living area slide outs.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, stabilizers