Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Green Horn

just put a down payment on a 2015 29ik

Hello,
Well after a year of searching,we are pulling the trigger on a used unit, We planned on buying a new Jayco Eagle, but price was right and it's our first 5th wheel and camper for that matter.

I like to know if they have any issues i need to look for at time of inspection? I did purchase a warranty for 5 yrs, just as a cya for all big ticket items.

Thank you
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #2

Look over that extended service contract real well. Read all the fine print, don't just take the salespersons word about it. Many of them have tons of escape clauses and in the end don't cover very much. They make HUGE profits for the dealers. As you can see I'm not much of a fan.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

Hopefully previous owner took care of inevitable issues with a new purchase. Just do a thorough inspection with power on checking everything. Don’t get in a hurry or you will miss something. Not a fan of warranties in general. But to each his own.
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from MN.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Skip the warranty and just open a savings account...you'll be much better off!

And, as mentioned previously...read all the fine print and even try lemon juice to make the invisible ink appear!

If there is a back-out clause in that warranty...use it!

And if they fight you on this then that should be all the reason you need to skip the dealer's extended warranty.

Most of the time the yearly maintenance that they require you to do (whether it is really needed or not) and provide proof that you actually did it will cost you way more than any repairs they may cover if they haven't excluded you out somehow (which they are very good at doing).

And, when you pick it up from the dealer, have them run everything...the furnace, water pump, city water connection, water heater and refrigerator (on both gas and electric), generator (if it has one), flush the toilet...and even have them drain the sewer tanks in front of you!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #6

Congrats, Take movies during your walk thru. It proves what they said as well as shows you how to do stuff. Also my extended warranty is a $200 deductible so a small item still costs $200 if you use it. Hope your unit is perfect for you.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

I brought a extended warranty from Camping World that’s not any good at all, well all profit for Camping World
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Warranty

I would skip the warranty, Consumer Reports says the same. I would suggest a monthly payment to a savings account to cover repairs as someone else suggested. If you do not use the money, you have a nest egg for a new upgrade later. Take notes during the walk thru. Do not be afraid to ask questions and take your time, LOOK at EVERYTHING! The more info you can get, the happier you will the 1 st time you take it out. Ask about winterizing valves, and which way to turn them. Marking them w/ an arrow from a sharpee great idea. The walk thru should take a min. of an hour and a half. Have them demonstrate EVERYTHING. EX-our trailer has a inside and exterior switch for the hot water heater. You want to turn off when not in use. Ask where the fuses are for the slides and nose jack, under front tongue?
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
Green Horn

Thank you to everyone for the help,
We are going down to the dealer again today to "just look" again no sales man so we can really pick it apart, I know that the warranty is kinda a throw a way, but i like the piece of mind that i have it, They are going to put use in a camp ground for the weekend so we can try everything out, plus it's going to be raining so now we can check for leaks...

When we do our PDI i figured 2 hours, i like the comments i was given on what to check/run.

Pictures to follow later
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #10

We bought our 2015 Silverback 29IK new in 15 and it’s been a great fiver for us. It’s our fourth fiver and while none of them are perfect the build quality has been far better than our precious one. Other than front cap fading (common issue) we’ve had no major issues and very few minor ones. I’m not sure that I would do the extended warranty or service plan or whatever they call it. Like many others here if it were me I’d put the money in the bank. Maybe you’ll need it and maybe you won’t. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote