Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
Discount tire not only installed the LT tires but also put the road hazard on them. I don't know what state or place that wouldn't but here in Texas it is not a problem. So maybe we need to qualify our answers instead of making blanket statements.

Discount tire often violates their own rules. This is one of them (Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests. You can find that statement in this reference.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSelectRightTire.do

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Discount tire often violates their own rules. This is one of them (Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests. You can find that statement in this reference.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSelectRightTire.do
I understand and they have declined to do some things in the past because of this rule but the Michelin LTs are more than capable to carry the load of my trailer. In fact mine has the 6000lb axels so, though not much higher, the tires can carry more than the axels

2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
I understand and they have declined to do some things in the past because of this rule but the Michelin LTs are more than capable to carry the load of my trailer. In fact mine has the 6000lb axels so, though not much higher, the tires can carry more than the axels
I can post references in this thread all day long that counter incorrect statements by he said she said comments.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

There is a right way, wrong way, and safe way. I try to post the safe ways that are compatible with tire manufacturer standards, the regulations the vehicle manufacturer must follow and NHTSA safety regulations.

Bottom line, it's the owner's choice to be inside or outside of the ropes - so to speak.

p.s. The reference only gives placard/owner manual locations for the automotive industry. Michelin does not build RV trailer tires. However, the FMVSS regulations for trailer tires come from the same documents as your tow vehicle, they are the same number. They identify which type of vehicle they are addressing with line items for that subject when things like locations are different. For instance, the location for a trailer certification label is described as being on the LH forward external section of the trailer.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #44

Which model tire are you referring to as "ribs"?

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
Old 08-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Which model tire are you referring to as "ribs"?

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
Definition: Tire Rib; Part of a tire tread pattern created by grooves that run circumstantially around the tire.

Michelin has a catchy name for a series of their light truck tires. It's XPS Rib. They are expensive steel cased tires that are also retreadable. They are heavier than other LT tires of the same size. Steel casing, an extra steel belt, tall treads, and protective sidewall inserts increases their weight and durability. None of which increases their strength shown on their sidewalls.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #46

For what it's worth....Originally I replaced my China Bombs with B.F.Goodrich Commercial TA tires They were an LT tire in the load range E. They served me well. Then they had a recall on them and they were to be replaced. I went to Discount Tire where i bought them and showed them a copy of the recall notice and what tires they could use to replace them as the "new' Commercial TAs had not yet been released. One of the tires they could use was the Michelin XPS Rib. A few keystrokes by the Manager and a set was on the way. When they came in I hauled my trailer out and they mounted and balanced them. I paid nothing for the new Michelins. If that wasn't a warranty situation I don't know what was. In addition I gained about $500.00 more in tires than what I had paid for the originals. No Charge. I have about 30,000 miles on the tires with zero problems. I weighed my rig at a National Rally. I have less than 9,000 pounds of actual axle weight, well under the maximum capacity of the tires. I would buy another set of these in a heartbeat..That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
For what it's worth....Originally I replaced my China Bombs with B.F.Goodrich Commercial TA tires They were an LT tire in the load range E. They served me well. Then they had a recall on them and they were to be replaced. I went to Discount Tire where i bought them and showed them a copy of the recall notice and what tires they could use to replace them as the "new' Commercial TAs had not yet been released. One of the tires they could use was the Michelin XPS Rib. A few keystrokes by the Manager and a set was on the way. When they came in I hauled my trailer out and they mounted and balanced them. I paid nothing for the new Michelins. If that wasn't a warranty situation I don't know what was. In addition I gained about $500.00 more in tires than what I had paid for the originals. No Charge. I have about 30,000 miles on the tires with zero problems. I weighed my rig at a National Rally. I have less than 9,000 pounds of actual axle weight, well under the maximum capacity of the tires. I would buy another set of these in a heartbeat..That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That happened a lot during that recall. I had numerous conversations with Michelin about why it was happening. Best answer was it was going to cost them more to argue about it than do it. I don’t think it would have happened if their Uniroyal’s had not been used on some Keystone RV trailers as OEM. I don’t think you will see it happen again. (I live 10 miles from Michelin of North America).

Michelin is providing 17.5" low profile/low platform trailer tires for some RV trailers with 8000# axles. I said providing because someone said Michelin had a rep at the RV factory to assist in fitments.

Airstream is offering some Michelin LT tires as options on a couple of their signature models.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #48

I always smile when the tire police get out heir horns and tambourines when the use of LT tires on trailers comes up. Always worried about GVWR of the RV and what the LT tire is rated at. I'm a recreational camper as are thousands of us ... I've weighed mine ready to pull to the lake. With 3 different fivers, I've never been close to GVWR of any of them and well within the ratings of the LT tires. My 2005 Montana came with LT's straight from the factory.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #49

My 2015 Cedar Creek 32RL came with 7,000lb axles and Goodyear G614 from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My 2015 Cedar Creek 32RL came with 7,000lb axles and Goodyear G614 from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
As it should have. The GY G614 tires are RST = Regional Service Trailer.