Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #61

There are new innovations happening in the tire industry all the time. Something that’s been around for a few years are colored dots on a tire’s sidewall.

Since it is very hard to make a tire that is perfectly balanced, some tire manufacturers apply yellow dots that indicate the tire's light balance point and serve to help you balance the assembly while mounting the tire. The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.

If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority. An easy way to remember this is the phrase ``Red Rules.'' Ignore the yellow dot and match the red dot to the wheel low point dimple as some vehicle manufacturers do or, if no dimple is marked on the wheel, align the red dot with the valve stem.

Here are a couple of references. The first is a picture I took at an RV show. The second is a tire builders PDF about the dot usage.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27423

http://www.sumitomotire.com/assets/p...nce%20DOTS.pdf
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #62

Tires AND rims?

I experienced the cheap China tires cord separation "fun" this weekend. Now I'm in search of tires to be installed within a week. After seeing all the reviews about the expensive Goodyear STs, I'm also leaning towards Michelin LT tires. I've run Michelin for most of my adult life on my cars and trucks and have never been disappointed. I run a 2010 Cedar Creek 36RE with a GVW of >12,000lbs, so "G" rated load rating is a what's recommended.

My question is, what about the rims? They are HWT, whatever that is! I had someone tell me to ditch both the cheap tires and the rims, but that was coming from a guy who had an inheritance.

Interested in your comments everyone! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1368.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	118777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0279-3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	118784  
kshall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #63

Replaced

I replaced mine with g rated tires
Did not feel the castlerocks where safe

Boto 235/85/16
And it rides much better
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #64

After a tread separation that caused $5000 damage I am on my second set of Michelin LT tires on my 2002 Cedar Creek 36 RLTS. No problems. Change at 7 years. I will not run anything else. Made in USA!
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #65

I'd run the Michelins too, but seems like the load rating isn't enough per the sticker on my trailer. Looks like my only USA option is the G614s from Goodyear. Anyone dispute this? Looking for experienced help. Thx. Here's the link to the tires that appear to be my only option. https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...13922909900000)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #66
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshall1 View Post
I experienced the cheap China tires cord separation "fun" this weekend. Now I'm in search of tires to be installed within a week. After seeing all the reviews about the expensive Goodyear STs, I'm also leaning towards Michelin LT tires. I've run Michelin for most of my adult life on my cars and trucks and have never been disappointed. I run a 2010 Cedar Creek 36RE with a GVW of >12,000lbs, so "G" rated load rating is a what's recommended.

My question is, what about the rims? They are HWT, whatever that is! I had someone tell me to ditch both the cheap tires and the rims, but that was coming from a guy who had an inheritance.

I went whole hog and replaced both wheels and tires:
http://learntorv.com/major-tire-whee...er-overloaded/

If I stuck with 16" wheels, it would have either been Goodyear G614 or the Sailun S637. Both are very similar and both get rave reviews. The Sailuns are quite less expensive than the Goodyear.

Mind the outer diameter of the tires that you took off vs. what you're considering and the gap between the two tires. Mine (not a CC) were uncomfortably close.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #67

Quote:

The tire in the picture is a Kenda with a load capacity of 3640# at 80 PIS. Must have been a replacement.

Because your certification label depicts 7000# axles none of the LT tires (LRE) qualify as replacements for those axles. You'll have to find something with a load capacity of 3750# or higher.

According to the trailer's certification label it was equipped with LRG tires. Therefore the rims had to be qualified for that fitment.

The certification label also says your trailer was built 4-22-2009.

Tires depicted on a vehicle's certification label are not "recommended", they are the appropriate size for that trailer.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #68

The tires are labeled Load Boss with seemingly appropriate load ratings.

Good point on the wheel diameter consideration. Now I'm concerned about fit of the G614.

Sheesh! This shouldn't be this difficult. Had I not bought this used, I'd be raising cane at the dealership. I may have to just call Forest River today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0274.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	118805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-30-07-40-56.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	118806  
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #69

I replaced my Marathon tires with the G614's. The Marathons were 235/80/16 and the G614's are 235/85/16. I suspect you'll have plenty of clearance to make the change.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #70

Quote:
The tires are labeled Load Boss with seemingly appropriate load ratings.

Good point on the wheel diameter consideration. Now I'm concerned about fit of the G614.

Sheesh! This shouldn't be this difficult. Had I not bought this used, I'd be raising cane at the dealership. I may have to just call Forest River today.

I got the tire plant code from the picture of the tire with the missing sidewall chunk.

7Y Tires are built at this plant. Kenda did not come in that size so I assumed it was a LRE tire. Should have used the 126 service description then I would have known it was a LRG tire.
KENDA RUBBER CHINA CO., LTD.
KUNSHAN, JIANGSU
CHINA

If the factory did their homework with the OE G614 tires the rims will be 16x6.5 with 110 PSI rating for the OE tires.

Vision Tires Load Boss Trailer Tire Review & Rating - Tire Reviews and More
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
Discount tire not only installed the LT tires but also put the road hazard on them. I don't know what state or place that wouldn't but here in Texas it is not a problem. So maybe we need to qualify our answers instead of making blanket statements.
I've seen this happen before with Discount Tire, and then when it came time to cash in, the mistake was realized. I think we have a thread/member here who said Discount refunded his road hazard monies, but would not honor it as they said it was a mistake to have sold it on an RV use tire to begin with.

Their website tire warranty does say specifically that their road hazard does NOT apply to tires used on RV's in the exclusions, which I copied over from the link below and emboldened in red:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.do

Conditions and Exclusions

Non-commercial service includes use by the owner in his/her regular trade or business but excludes commercial truck, racing, off-the-highway, taxi, limousine, or similar service. Passenger, SUV or light truck tire road hazard warranty (if applicable) does not apply to tires used on commercial trucks, recreational vehicles or off-the-highway service. Mileage warranty (if applicable) applies only to tire's original purchaser on the car, SUV or light truck on which originally installed

You may want to verify and reverify, as I would hate for you to need it and they then deny it, as per their written policy. You should have something in writing, that may claim different though. Good luck.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I got the tire plant code from the picture of the tire with the missing sidewall chunk.

7Y Tires are built at this plant. Kenda did not come in that size so I assumed it was a LRE tire. Should have used the 126 service description then I would have known it was a LRG tire.
KENDA RUBBER CHINA CO., LTD.
KUNSHAN, JIANGSU
CHINA

If the factory did their homework with the OE G614 tires the rims will be 16x6.5 with 110 PSI rating for the OE tires.

Vision Tires Load Boss Trailer Tire Review & Rating - Tire Reviews and More
Thanks for the conversation Airdale. Are you saying that my rims should be fine if the factory did it's homework?

Also, I'm going to call Forest River and ask them to confirm that G614 tire diameter will work on my tandem axel setup before I pull the trigger and buy them.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Thanks for the conversation Airdale. Are you saying that my rims should be fine if the factory did it's homework?
Yes!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I've seen this happen before with Discount Tire, and then when it came time to cash in, the mistake was realized. I think we have a thread/member here who said Discount refunded his road hazard monies, but would not honor it as they said it was a mistake to have sold it on an RV use tire to begin with.

Their website tire warranty does say specifically that their road hazard does NOT apply to tires used on RV's in the exclusions, which I copied over from the link below and emboldened in red:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.do

Conditions and Exclusions

Non-commercial service includes use by the owner in his/her regular trade or business but excludes commercial truck, racing, off-the-highway, taxi, limousine, or similar service. Passenger, SUV or light truck tire road hazard warranty (if applicable) does not apply to tires used on commercial trucks, recreational vehicles or off-the-highway service. Mileage warranty (if applicable) applies only to tire's original purchaser on the car, SUV or light truck on which originally installed

You may want to verify and reverify, as I would hate for you to need it and they then deny it, as per their written policy. You should have something in writing, that may claim different though. Good luck.
Here are three steps in “selecting the right tire” found under that heading in the Discount Tire operating instructions. There is no guarantee all stores will abide by these steps but they are there and under trained installers could very easily make mistakes when not properly supervised.

Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests.

Verify that the rim width range is appropriate for the tire to be installed.

Confirm that the tire-to-vehicle clearance, lock-to-lock steering and suspension clearance is such that no rubbing occurs.