Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Congratulations, you got the best trailer tire made. Unless you run over a road hazard you good for 10 years from the manufacture fate. You won't wear them down.
I really hope that is true, because leaving my trailer on the road to go get tires isn't a cherished memory
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Tire Minder: there is a trick to setting the system. I believe they fixed it in the newer versions, which, I do NOT have.

The instructions on the older systems are difficult to follow at best! ( like mine).

It may "appear"to the user to be in "monitoring" mode but could be in the "set" mode it looks very similar. Has happened to me twice. The equipment was not defective, in my case, rv owner stupidity ! ( not saying this happened to you )

Each time I had a brain fart, I called the Tire Minder company in Florida.
They re walked me through each reset and stayed until I had them back on the truck and ready to roll.

I, like the poster, previously had a blow out on Power King tires. Set me out of commission for 3 months in repairs: damage $3,200. My out of pocket was $1,200. Unlike the poster, I did NOT have a Tire Minder at that time.

Tire monitoring systems can be confusing. Directions are difficult to follow. Most of us "lay people" need simplicity. My next system will be just that: UNDERSTANDABLE !!

BTW: my tire issue was separation . I had monitored the heck out of them!
It is very possible I misunderstood something but I am pretty tech savvy. And eventually it did alert to a flat tire just 30 or so minutes too late
Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
I put RIB's on my 2008 Everest. I am going to put these on my CC one it is 2 years old. I never had a single problem with the RIB's. Michelin has been my choice of tire for all my vehicles and my kids vehicles. Please don't start the war on tires for this thread. Just stating my preference and the success I have with mine which could be different from others.
No I agree I don't want a tire war on this thread I was just venting and stating the direction I took to hopefully remedy my tire issues.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
Well in less than a year I blew out all 4 Goodyear Marathons on my 2013. At the end of last year I blew 2 and did $5000 of damage to my rig and last week it blew the other 2 but with negligible damage that I fixed myself already. I had to leave the trailer on 71 in Austin because I only had one spare (I now have 2) and go and get 2 tires. These tires were 3 years old, I had a tire monitor but it didn't warn me of anything until after I took the tires off and drove to Discount Tire 30 minutes later. I don't care about the ST or LT debate I just want tires that work, are reliable and will last more than 3 years. (I know i can always hit something that can rupture a tire.) Yes my trailer is under weight, I travel at 62 mph, I always check air pressure and check tire condition. So I am hoping these new Michelins will fit the bill. My rant is over, sorry.
Tire manufacturers all have their own SOPs for tire industry standards. Here is a reference to Michelin's.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #25

I am on my second set of Michelin LT tires with no problems. Made in USA. I change at 7 years regardless of tread.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
It is very possible I misunderstood something but I am pretty tech savvy. And eventually it did alert to a flat tire just 30 or so minutes too late
Two things come to mind on the TPMS not working right.

1. Most big trailers need a signal booster. The little transmitters in the tire sensors aren't strong enough to RELIABLY reach up into the tow vehicle. They will usually still alert, but it may be too late. (Think like receiving a text message on your phone in an area with spotty service). The booster is a little box that wires into the trailer's 12v system and boosts the signal.

2. If you are going to replace the system, I use tire traker. www.tiretraker.com I have had no problems with it. I have the previous generation from the one they are selling now, but mine is easy to use and seems to be reliable. On what the previous poster mentioned, on this one there is no doubt when you are in set mode, it's very easy to tell. I do have the signal booster wired in my front battery compartment.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Well in less than a year I blew out all 4 Goodyear Marathons on my 2013. At the end of last year I blew 2 and did $5000 of damage to my rig and last week it blew the other 2 but with negligible damage that I fixed myself already. I had to leave the trailer on 71 in Austin because I only had one spare (I now have 2) and go and get 2 tires. These tires were 3 years old, I had a tire monitor but it didn't warn me of anything until after I took the tires off and drove to Discount Tire 30 minutes later. I don't care about the ST or LT debate I just want tires that work, are reliable and will last more than 3 years. (I know i can always hit something that can rupture a tire.) Yes my trailer is under weight, I travel at 62 mph, I always check air pressure and check tire condition. So I am hoping these new Michelins will fit the bill. My rant is over, sorry.

We also had Goodyear tires and just over 1 year old one of them had separated inside. Had I not repacked the bearings I wouldn't have seen the tire. After much research I went with the Michelins as well. Just the weight difference between the two tires says enough. I also went with the TST 507 and so far so good. Occasionally I will check the gauge to make sure all 4 tires are synced up while driving. No issues. Just got back from a 500 mile trip. This is a pic of the Goodyear tire that failed. The inside cords had separated. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470507551.091093.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	116458Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #28

Jerry01 ... I had the exact same thing happen with my OEM "Marabombs" ... if I could find my photos, they would near match yours. The Marabombs, after a few miles down the road, would expand out just like your photo ... reminded me of the old Model T balloon tires. After I'd stop for a while the tread would lay down flat again. I also went with Michelins.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #29

Michelin XPS RIB tires are rated for a life span of 10 years from the manufacture date
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Michelin XPS RIB tires are rated for a life span of 10 years from the manufacture date
That's good to know, thanks
Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #31

Quote:
However, if used to replace Original Equipment Special Trailer tires (ST) they will have no manufacturers warranty.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
However, if used to replace Original Equipment Special Trailer tires (ST) they will have no manufacturers warranty.
I'd like to see that in writing from Michelin....Or is that another rumor?
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Call or email them. Ask if it's OK to use XPS Ribs to replace OE ST tires.

Contact Us | Michelin US
Old 08-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #34

It might be because you are not to put LT tires on a ST rim. My rims are made for high pressure tires, I have G614 , pressure 110lb. When these tires wear out I'll be ready to quit camping , just find a place to park camper at. Probably at the beach

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Nope, not rumour. Once you mount LTs on a trailer, most manufacturers will not warranty them. In fact it's hard to find a tire store that will even sell you road hazard for trailer tires. The only way I got a LT trailer tire warrantied was when the tire store owner turned in the claim and said it came off my truck. But still worth it to me to run LTs on my rig.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #36

I found that locally tire shops will not sell a road hazard insurance on LT tires, so I went to Walmart. Walmart would sell road hazard on LT tires. I wonder if Walmart would sell the road hazard on trailer tires, plus give the warranty on the tires

Old 08-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I found that locally tire shops will not sell a road hazard insurance on LT tires, so I went to Walmart. Walmart would sell road hazard on LT tires. I wonder if Walmart would sell the road hazard on trailer tires, plus give the warranty on the tires

Hey spock. I hadn't tried Walmart. Hopefully if you needed it they would honor it. I had one dealer that sold me road hazard on the trailer, but when I went to use it, they said no. At least they gave me my money back
Old 08-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #38

Discount tire not only installed the LT tires but also put the road hazard on them. I don't know what state or place that wouldn't but here in Texas it is not a problem. So maybe we need to qualify our answers instead of making blanket statements.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #39

I'm sorry, I live in the southern part of North Carolina and that's what I meant when I said local

Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #40

Lou, I've tried in NM, AZ, and NV. Same answers. Have you actually had to use yours yet? Like I said, I was sold road hazard for trailer tires once and was denied by the issuing company when I tried to use it. They didn't care what state I was in. Hopefully yours actually works, but it is something to be aware of.