Old 10-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
King Dish Installation

So I'm not totally "mechanically" challenged, but I do make mistakes at times. That being said I'm considering purchasing our new fifth wheel with King Dish and two receivers already installed. My thinking is that at $1100 now, I'm spending close to $400.00 more than if I did it myself. But then I get the work warrantied and will not have to worry about extra cable work or roof damage (my biggest fear).

What do think ? Is it really easy to just install the system myself or going with factory install is a good idea ?

DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Let me just say, $400 savings is NOT WORTH self learning on that thin membrane roof.
I had a faulty a/c. FR could not do it timely at the factory. ( had other work as well under warranty). My selling dealer ( very small shop) was equidistant in travel. FR recommended an overflow service center in the Topeka area.
During the work, they tore my roof. Used eternabond tape strip right near the A/C install.
Because of travel distance; we agreed on roof replacement after the recent 2016 Rally. And so it has been done.
If YOU undertake this install and cause damage; that will be your responsibility. It would not take much for that dish to rip your roof. Please consider the small savings vs the cost of a new roof!! Make sure if you contract someone; you get a pre inspection signed by both parties that there is no damage present. A POST work completion report releases the installer.
Just say'n safe

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
One thing to think about. The King Dish is only one LNBF system. This means that it only picks up channels from one satellite. With two receivers, one may want to watch two different channels on two different satellites. No go with this dish. The Winegard Traveler 1000 allows for watching different channels off of any satellite at the same time. A little more expensive, but more functional. We are opting to not order the King Dish and have our ordering dealer install the Traveler 1000.
Steve and Paula
Tiki (Our Papillon Kid) RIP Chance
2015 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW, 6.7L, 4x4,
Hensley TS3, 20k hitch
2015 Cedar Creek 34RLSA-7, fully loaded
Nights camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-97
SnP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Youtube is your best friend. Personally, I'd do the work myself but then again I know my limitations. Good luck with your decision.
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote