Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

King Dish Installation

So I'm not totally "mechanically" challenged, but I do make mistakes at times. That being said I'm considering purchasing our new fifth wheel with King Dish and two receivers already installed. My thinking is that at $1100 now, I'm spending close to $400.00 more than if I did it myself. But then I get the work warrantied and will not have to worry about extra cable work or roof damage (my biggest fear).

What do think ? Is it really easy to just install the system myself or going with factory install is a good idea ?
DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Let me just say, $400 savings is NOT WORTH self learning on that thin membrane roof.
I had a faulty a/c. FR could not do it timely at the factory. ( had other work as well under warranty). My selling dealer ( very small shop) was equidistant in travel. FR recommended an overflow service center in the Topeka area.
During the work, they tore my roof. Used eternabond tape strip right near the A/C install.
Because of travel distance; we agreed on roof replacement after the recent 2016 Rally. And so it has been done.
If YOU undertake this install and cause damage; that will be your responsibility. It would not take much for that dish to rip your roof. Please consider the small savings vs the cost of a new roof!! Make sure if you contract someone; you get a pre inspection signed by both parties that there is no damage present. A POST work completion report releases the installer.
Just say'n .....be safe
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
SnP

One thing to think about. The King Dish is only one LNBF system. This means that it only picks up channels from one satellite. With two receivers, one may want to watch two different channels on two different satellites. No go with this dish. The Winegard Traveler 1000 allows for watching different channels off of any satellite at the same time. A little more expensive, but more functional. We are opting to not order the King Dish and have our ordering dealer install the Traveler 1000.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Youtube is your best friend. Personally, I'd do the work myself but then again I know my limitations. Good luck with your decision.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #5

So I just received my king tailgate. But I'm not sure what outfits to use on my 2017 Columbus rb
mharlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

An alternative would be the Trav'ler it is a Dish 1000 receiver and will receive all three satellites at once.

We had the X2 and it worked ok but upgraded to the Trav'ler and now when we do extended trips we just take our Hopper with us.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

The only problem with having a permanent roof mount is you'll need to choose sites carefully. If you go to places totally wooded it's next to impossible. When you have a portable such as a Tailgator, or better yet a tripod mounted 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish, you can most times find a hole through the trees even if you need to run 200' of coax. Its a little bit hard to position an entire RV to get line of site in the woods.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

When I book a campground site the first thing I ask for is a site without trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:03 AM   #9

I'm fabricating a mount for my tailgater that will use my flagpole mount on the rear ladder. This will get it off the ground. If the trees are in the way I can still set it out as a portable. The mount I'm building is a copy of one I found on the internet, I will remove my Tailgater for travel. I feel this will be the best of both worlds..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnP View Post
One thing to think about. The King Dish is only one LNBF system. This means that it only picks up channels from one satellite. With two receivers, one may want to watch two different channels on two different satellites. No go with this dish. The Winegard Traveler 1000 allows for watching different channels off of any satellite at the same time. A little more expensive, but more functional. We are opting to not order the King Dish and have our ordering dealer install the Traveler 1000.
The new Tailgater is now set up to enable the use of two seperate receivers.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
The new Tailgater is now set up to enable the use of two separate receivers.
What he was referring to is the Tailgator can only align to one satellite at a time. The programming is carried spread out on 3 different satellites. You can use two receivers but you'll be limited to the channels that are carried on the one specific sat that the tailgator is aligned to on both receivers. You will not be able to watch a channel that is on the 110 sat on one receiver while watching a channel on the 129 sat on the other.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

Thanks for all the replys, I went with the advice of poster #2. The $400.00 extra to have them install is worth the peace of mind.
DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote