Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Hob

My straight pull did the same thing with breaking cross braces. I tried another straight pull on a trade in. I lucked out and found a Dexter frame on a V-lite this time. Trailer was a 2011 the dealer couldn't sell. Perfect for me and the wife. I hope Lippert buying them after this trailer was built didn't rub off of this Dexter frame.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

2010 Silverback 33RL
*Exact* same symptoms
They tell me it is safe to drive while they figure out if it's the frame or the body....
Sounds like I need to give these guys a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoucrazey View Post
5th Wheel
2010 Cedar Creek
Silverback 29RE
Purchased brand new in July 2010

Used our 5th wheel locally, a trip to Durango, CO & trip to Pigeon Forge, TN.
The trip out to Pigeon Forge, TN stopped for the night and noticed a gap in the uderbelly where the front cap is attached with screws and caulked to the metal trim piece. Gap was 3/4-1" open from pin box around to the side of the underbelly.
When we arrived at the campground in PF and I started lowering the landing legs and removing the trailer weight off the pin box the gap closed up tight?
To make a long story short when I got back home from our trip contacted the Dealer Service Manager and told him what was going on. Of course my 5th wheel warranty had expired but after sending him pictures and many emails and phone calls with the Dealer, Forest River & Lipert Frames. FR/LF had my5th wheel transported back to the Cedar Creek factory to have the frame repaired and beefed up. Frame was flexing and plan is to remove cap and reweld and plate frame back up to the closet area in the bedroom, won't be getting trailer back until fisrt of march.

Sounds like the same issue I had with my Silverback. I would suggest contacting Forest River and ask to be put in contact with FR rep Kevin Caudill.

kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
If you pull the trailer you might be letting them off the hook by giving them the "you knew about the damage and continued. . . . so therefore its your fault"

I'm just saying. . . .
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
DDC

I'd still be contacting the D.O.T. in your State, they appear to be producing an unsafe product and only doing repairs when forced to, instead on doing a voluntary re-call to make sure their faulty product does not kill someone, once the State gets enough complaints it will order a re-call.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #15

[QUOTE=mikey;227624]
My personal experience, Failed Lippert chassis, split I beam web above spring hangar caused axle to shift. Lippert initial response, my fault, then miraculously a service bulletin ( 4 years old) appears from Lippert that fully addressed problem. This same SB is used for present day failures by Lippert . . . case in point, they have never corrected the cause of the original failure!

same problem. used that fix also.
for buliten
see post #16 under cardinal. Leaf spring hangers
Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Mike,

Any chance you can post that Service Bulletin?
Lou
Lou,

Like old military records, this one (Lippert SB) too has found a hidey hole that might take some time to locate. I am looking, diligently!

In the mean time, I spoke with an official with the DOTs Motor Carrier Safety Division, who recommended a couple of things:
1) date time stamp all photos makes them evidence vice keep sakes.
2) Contact your state Atty Gen, BBB as well as Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
3) Also, provide copies of your complaint to the Consumer Affairs Division, Product Safety Commission.

Hopefully, these things should bring the Calvary in to help the manufacture figure out the right thing to do.

I am also inspecting my trailer after each trip so that nothing sneaks up on us. I saw a fiber optic camera on sale at the Nashville Camping World and wish now that I had bought it. Never fear I am looking for one as we speak.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

Just Google Lippert Kingpin Box damage and look what I found
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Warning Lippert kingpin frame BROKE

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...g/25532588.cfm

Here is link to our forum that had a similiar problem
Cracks in 5th wheel pin box to frame

See page 2 for his pictures

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Old Member

. . .as a caviat to my post above: I relocated my pantry in order to better balance the weight, & I also drain the water heater tank (12 gal) before each long pull which eliminates about 100 lbs of needless weight, I only fill 5-6 gallons in the fresh water (1-2 minutes with the new type fill system on my trailer). Just enough for those emergency "P" breaks. Whatever I can load onto the TV, further reduces the trail weight (either pin or axle weight). Of course I have to keep an eye on things like TV GVW, Hitch Weight, etc. But, just like with airplanes, if you pay close attention to the little things, they won't be nearly so big when they blow up in your face......

Be ever vigilant, for Murphy is always lurking to lend a hand. . . . .
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
Old Member

Iggy, I just looked at the attachment. The SB is the same as I remember it from my Lippert failure.

A word of advise: Anyone who hasn't used dye penetrant before, pick up a kit and learn how to use it, especially if you own a Lippert Component chassis . . . (80% market share. . . go figure)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #20

"dye penetrant"
------------------
Mikey, is that something you spray on and it shows where the cracks are?