Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

King Pin Box Movement, Lippert Frame

We purchased a 2009 Silverback, model 34WBH, in March 2010, and have used it about 25 times since. After a wonderful trip over Memorial Day weekend, we returned home to find extensive damage to the bedroom ceiling, in the front of the camper. Upon looking deeper, we found that the king pin box has so much movement in it, that when pushed up on, the floor of the closet in the nose of the camper moves, about 3 inches. So, we immediately "googled" celing damage due to king pin box movement and found many comments about Lippert frames being very defective in many ways. (As our camper has "Lippert" stamped ALL over the entire hitch!)
We have called the dealer that we purchased the camper from, with no response yet, after explaining to them what we have found out about the frames having problems, etc. We are certain that we can repair the camper, to a very costly and time consuming chore, but are very hung up on the fact that Lippert knows something is "wrong" yet won't stand behind any defects.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

WELCOME to the forum !

yeah this just stinks to high heaven !
Although I cannot offer much advice I can offer to take good notes on your all communication from here on out .

good luck !

Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

It does stink...it is heartbreaking to my little boys who love camping.....! Thanks for the advice to keep notes! (we just started a little notebook today!)
The problem is though, Lippert makes every camper frame but Jayco's; and there are many different manufactors which are having problems.
I wish it would go away, I want to continue my family's summer camping.
Any suggestions would be so helpful!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
DDC

Call your state DOT and let them come and see it, Lippert is making there frames to be used on the highways so they should be able to stand up to what is considered normal use, the governing DOT will follow up but only if they get complaints. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #5

Yes, it sounds like you are another victim of Lippert's weak frames.
The main support beam across the front has probably broken.
I would also urge you to make a formal complaint to the proper government safety office, and send a cc to Lippert.
This has got to stop.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

5th Wheel
2010 Cedar Creek
Silverback 29RE
Purchased brand new in July 2010

Used our 5th wheel locally, a trip to Durango, CO & trip to Pigeon Forge, TN.
The trip out to Pigeon Forge, TN stopped for the night and noticed a gap in the uderbelly where the front cap is attached with screws and caulked to the metal trim piece. Gap was 3/4-1" open from pin box around to the side of the underbelly.
When we arrived at the campground in PF and I started lowering the landing legs and removing the trailer weight off the pin box the gap closed up tight?
To make a long story short when I got back home from our trip contacted the Dealer Service Manager and told him what was going on. Of course my 5th wheel warranty had expired but after sending him pictures and many emails and phone calls with the Dealer, Forest River & Lipert Frames. FR/LF had my5th wheel transported back to the Cedar Creek factory to have the frame repaired and beefed up. Frame was flexing and plan is to remove cap and reweld and plate frame back up to the closet area in the bedroom, won't be getting trailer back until fisrt of march.

Sounds like the same issue I had with my Silverback. I would suggest contacting Forest River and ask to be put in contact with FR rep Kevin Caudill.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
As with all things Lippert . . .

As with all things Lippert, we as consumers should understand that Drew Industries/Lippert will not do the right thing and correct these types of problems. They will instead wait until an ugly raises it head, stall & stonewall the consumer, then eventually deal with that particular problem while hoping for the best with all other units on the road that have the same potential problem.. I would suggest contacting your state DOT and National Highway Safety Administration to make them aware of the long history of problems with all things Lippert!

My personal experience, Failed Lippert chassis, split I beam web above spring hangar caused axle to shift. Lippert initial response, my fault, then miraculously a service bulletin ( 4 years old) appears from Lippert that fully addressed problem. This same SB is used for present day failures by Lippert . . . case in point, they have never corrected the cause of the original failure!

Wish there were some alternative to Lippert Components Inc.

I apologise for my rant but when will this stop, after someone is killed or severely injured due to a Lippert failure?

Travel safe, keep vigelence on maintenance and enjoy your journeys.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

I am sure am reading a lot on these lippert frames on the 5th wheels failing. I sure hope my toy hauler that is a bumper pull doesn't start this. I have been keeping a close eye on it.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Mike,

Any chance you can post that Service Bulletin?
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
As with all things Lippert, we as consumers should understand that Drew Industries/Lippert will not do the right thing and correct these types of problems. They will instead wait until an ugly raises it head, stall & stonewall the consumer, then eventually deal with that particular problem while hoping for the best with all other units on the road that have the same potential problem.. I would suggest contacting your state DOT and National Highway Safety Administration to make them aware of the long history of problems with all things Lippert!

My personal experience, Failed Lippert chassis, split I beam web above spring hangar caused axle to shift. Lippert initial response, my fault, then miraculously a service bulletin ( 4 years old) appears from Lippert that fully addressed problem. This same SB is used for present day failures by Lippert . . . case in point, they have never corrected the cause of the original failure!

Wish there were some alternative to Lippert Components Inc.

I apologise for my rant but when will this stop, after someone is killed or severely injured due to a Lippert failure?

Travel safe, keep vigelence on maintenance and enjoy your journeys.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Re: King Pin Box Movement, Lippert Frame

herk7769

Lou,
I'll look into our files when I get home tonight and post it then.

Mike