Old 01-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
About all a tripod is good for is extra traction in the bed of your truck for snow or a heavy duty plant hangar. It's hard to even give them away here in the Midwest. Bulky, heavy, and mostly just a placebo to people that try to justify their purchase. Put on something like JT Stabilizers or Steady Fast product and you'll be more pleased with the results. Your back will also thank you for not having to lug that hunk of steel around. Or ... just buy a fiver with "level -up" $$$$

PS ....I put JT's on my fiver with level-up using the adaptor lugs on the round feet. Been using them for about a year now with no negative issues. I work with hydraulics ... Lippert's concern about JT's not allowing the cylinder rams to rotate makes no sense.

dieselguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I agree the strong arms are probably a better solution, but the tripods do work and the aluminum ones are not heavy at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
I have one but I never use it when camping. Its heavy,takes up a lot of space to store and a real pia to set up.I got it for winter storage so as to take some off the wieght that is hanging out past the landing gear.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
get the JT Strong Arms and pass on the tripod
I would get rid of my tripod if I could find it a home
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Since I have a louvered tailgate in place of the heavy original, and don't need to lower it when un-hooking, so I store the tripod directly on top of the rear bumper with a cargo strap. Just a couple of steps to set up. Anytime we park for more than 24 hours the tripod goes up.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
Have used mine for 11 works for me.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #17
Had the tripod got rid of it.
wmbuttion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
Mixed opinions on this item. Should we get it or not.
I have one and have used this on my first two 5er's with good results+ the x-chocks at the wheels. This eliminated the shaking of the trailer when walking around in it.

Now with our Cedar Creek and the 6 leg auto leveling system we only use the tri-pod when the trailer is in storage. We lower just the front two legs and put the tri-pod under the king pin and chock the wheels.

With the auto leveling system the king pin moves through a range of motion as the auto-leveling system works, so I cannot place the tri-pod under the pin until the camper is level. Once the trailer is level our tri-pod will not fit under the king pin. Unless I unbolt the chains and allow the legs to spread out more, I than will have to reattach the chains to the legs. If we where to stay a month some where this maybe acceptable, but moving every four to five days NO!

So the tri-pod stays at home with the x-chocks now and we only used the tri-pod when the trailer is in storage
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #19
Well... if I didn't already have a tri-pod, with the purchase of previous 5th wheel, I would probably get the front bracing system like JT Strong Arm or BAL. Stabilizers.

I find the tri-pod easy to set up and stops most of the front movement of the 5th wheel.
Note: it is only for stabilizing...not for support.

Along with the X-Chock style (home made) wheel chocks I use BAL stabilizer on the rear scissor jacks which really helped reduce the 'rear wiggle' of the 5th wheel.

'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 Diesel Lariat 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote