Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
CCRVOC

Lack of Microwave Range Vent

Has anyone installed an outside vent for the microwave range exhaust?

I have not determined if the wall studs are in the way or not. Nor am I sure if the microwave is mounted in the same manner as in the S&B. I would think that it is....

Any reason why CC did not punch another hole in the wall of the kitchen slide for the vent?

DW is a great cook, and does not like we have to turn on the Fantastic roof vent when she is cooking (which does work btw ).
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

We don't have a microwave vent, but do have a stove/range vent which we never close, just turn the fan on when needed.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #3

We use our Fantastic fan when cooking anything that has a strong smell, regardless of how good it is. The coach is just too small at times. We open a window a tiny bit and let the fan do its job. Certainly helps remove excess heat when the AC is on.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
CCRVOC

It would be nice to turn the exhaust fan on, and have it exhaust outside.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
It would be nice to turn the exhaust fan on, and have it exhaust outside.
Yes, I can't understand why Cedar Creek didn't put a vent above the stove. This is the only RV I have owned that didn't have a vent.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
Yes, I can't understand why Cedar Creek didn't put a vent above the stove. This is the only RV I have owned that didn't have a vent.
It's entirely possible for whatever reason it may have been a code violation with your particular setup to have a stove/ microwave vent.

Turbs

posted via my troll-mobile hand held type device.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

I don't think the stove vent is really that necessary. The vents I've had on other RVs made more noise than move air. The Fantastic fan in ceiling does a great job of venting the kitchen. Also one less hole in the RV to maintain is a good thing.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

It's funny you should ask...I just did it last weekend! Check it out: Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Changing Microwave to exhaust out of camper

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
I don't think the stove vent is really that necessary. The vents I've had on other RVs made more noise than move air. The Fantastic fan in ceiling does a great job of venting the kitchen. Also one less hole in the RV to maintain is a good thing.
I agree they are noisy, but they do move air, at least all of ours have.

As for the omission on a CC due to a possible code violation? What code could possibly be that prevents a 12 power vent?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Only problem with that is that it will pull smoke or any light grease to your ceiling. If you have a hood vent at home you can look at the filter, that is what would be pulled to your ceiling location. Not good.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Only problem with that is that it will pull smoke or any light grease to your ceiling. If you have a hood vent at home you can look at the filter, that is what would be pulled to your ceiling location. Not good.
I really hate to say it, but I agree with gljurczyk. Pulling stove exhaust thru a ceiling vent is not conducive to keeping grease off the ceiling or out of the fan.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
It's funny you should ask...I just did it last weekend! Check it out: Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Changing Microwave to exhaust out of camper
Joe,
That is exactly what I want to do. I was wondering if they used any additional supports inside the wall and or what surprises may lurk from within ....
I have just added this to my mod list.

Great Job and thank you for illustrating this job so nicely!

Reck
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Joe,
That is exactly what I want to do. I was wondering if they used any additional supports inside the wall and or what surprises may lurk from within ....
I have just added this to my mod list.

Great Job and thank you for illustrating this job so nicely!

Reck
I sure was shocked (pun intended!) to find those wires in there. It would probably be best to kill both the AC and DC power before cutting the inside panel. The microwave moves a lot of air, so I'm sure this will work well. I'll find out real soon as we will be camping soon!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
That's a very good point. You can tell how much cooking I do.

And probably why my wife makes me cook outside on the Coleman if I'm doing more than boiling water.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
That's a very good point. You can tell how much cooking I do.

And probably why my wife makes me cook outside on the Coleman if I'm doing more than boiling water.
I can not believe that a high end CC did not come with a outside exhaust. What were they thinking. Just makes me wounder at times......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #16

I guess some folks are more sensitive to cooking odors than me. We have the outside vent on our Silverback but I never use it. The darn thing is so high on the trailer I have to use a step stool to unlock it. Also it’s so hard to open and close that we just don’t bother with it. BTW, our first Wildcat fifth wheel didn’t have the outside vent.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I guess some folks are more sensitive to cooking odors than me. We have the outside vent on our Silverback but I never use it. The darn thing is so high on the trailer I have to use a step stool to unlock it. Also it’s so hard to open and close that we just don’t bother with it. BTW, our first Wildcat fifth wheel didn’t have the outside vent.
Ours was hard to open also, so when I got it opened, we just leave it open. Has now traveled over 7,000 miles and it's still there.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #18

Why isn't there a hood above the range? Cost. Or it could be, because there's a "hood" built into the microwave oven - that's not effective at all - it just blows the whatever around. Pulling the air to the ceiling, I THOUGHT was a good idea. I had forgotten about the contents of that air and the fact it could or probably will, stain the ceiling! We do bacon outside, along with other obvious odorous foods.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
I can not believe that a high end CC did not come with a outside exhaust. What were they thinking. Just makes me wounder at times......
my 2010 36RE listed for 84,000, did not come with a ducted vent, my 2013 CKTS 89,000 no vent, Aviator stickered for 90,000, no vent ,2008 Airstream 48,000 vent. go figure.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
Denver, CO

I'm not understanding why it is a problem to vent the existing fan outside instead of inside the rig? Grease is grease and it has to go through the cheesy little filter and the fan, and back into the camper versus this mod that vents it outside. Not seeing the problem here?

Great mod, it is on my list...

Tags
vent