Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
my 2010 36RE listed for 84,000, did not come with a ducted vent, my 2013 CKTS 89,000 no vent, Aviator stickered for 90,000, no vent ,2008 Airstream 48,000 vent. go figure.
Evidently the factory expects those with the more spendy rigs to eat out.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #22

I imagine if you cook a lot of greasy food or fry with oils it could be a problem and the mod would be useful. It's not a concern for us... so far the only things we cooked on the range was steamed veggies, oatmeal and hot water for tea.

On the rare occasion when we have bacon I cook outside on the Coleman. Even with a vent I wouldn't want to cook greasy splattering food in that confined of an area... it will still splatter all around the range area. The majority of all our cooking is outside on the Weber Q... a big part of the camping experience is cooking and eating outside anyway.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #23

I did the same mod as Joe_GA on our 2010 36RE without any problems with a total cost of around $25.00 for the vent and tape, easy to do and really helps the wife in kitchen. Well worth the effort
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #24

The lack of an exhaust vent was one of the first things I noticed upon taking posession of our new Salem park model RV by Forest River. After researching the issue, I became convinced the lack of such a powered outside exhaust vent over an open gas range is a violation of ANSI Standards which apply to RV’s like mine. After discussing the matter with the Dealer, Manufacturer and the U S Consumer Products Safety commission, it does not seem to me that representatives of any of these organizations are concerned that the lack of such an external exhaust is a real danger to us consumers in the following ways:

1. Air pollution - Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and other cooking gasses released into a relatively small inhabited space such as an RV are considered to be a serious hazard to humans by the EPA under its Air Pollution Standards.
2. Fire Hazard - Recirculating range hoods are a known fire hazard and can make a small cooking fire into a much worse problem by quickly filling the living space with noxious fumes and igniting the grease loaded charcoal filter often found in this type of over-the-range hood.
3: Odor Problem - The use of a ceiling mounted power exhaust vent when cooking is better than no outside vent at all, but it results in wasting lots of expensive interior heat during cold weather and allows much more extensive permeation of cooking odors throughout a much larger part of the RV’s interior.
Much to my disappointment our dealer avoided any responsibility for selling a product with a recirculating range hood which is known to be unsafe, by blaming the manufacturer. The manufacture claimed it is not in violation of any Standards or Codes, and the U S Consumer Products Commission avoids any responsibility at all for the matter by claiming it doesn’t fall under their jurisdiction (even though the NTHSA has clearly delegated the matter of trailer appliance safety to them in other legal proceedings).
Accordingly, I have made arrangements to modify our recirculating range hood to vent it to the outside of the RV for the above reasons even though I believe the Manufacturer should have voluntarily taken care of the problem under their implied warranty of meeting all RVIA Codes. It will cost me about $150 to have the vent modified but I consider it will be money well spent.
If there is a pro-bono RV lawyer out there who might wish to follow up on this matter before too many of us are damaged by the lack of adequate range hoods, I would be happy to provide you with copies of all the correspondence I have accumulated on the issue over the past year.
Regards, Alex Haynes
alex@kw5d.com
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Cheesy grease traps are the same regardless of whether the fan is up and in or out through the side. Possibly having a penetration in the side may be more of a hazard if there is a fire. There is no carbon monoxide in an open face stove unless your a REALLY bad cook.

Lots of apartments and the like have internally vented hoods.

Having said that, I also will be doing the vent mod myself, but I'm not going to sue anyone.

Just saying.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Certified Curmudgeon

Cool Venting Odors

In response to Post#24...
Without discussing (or arguing) the merits of the of individual points, I must admit that I'm stuck on the one labeled as #3, Odors. I wonder why one would want to remove those wonderful cooking aromas that we love. The smell of coffee and breakfast permeating the unit and waking us from our sleep. Garlic and onions sautéing in preparation of the evening meal. Bread and cookies baking in the oven and the list goes on.

Also utilizing a ceiling fan for exhaust is the bathroom. Some use the standard 4" anemic fan, some use a 7" turbo fan and some use the same 9" super dooper model that is in the ceiling of the main living area. The object is to remove moisture and not so pleasing gasses from the unit.
So one could debate which odors can stay and which should go, along with the environmental impact of accomplishing that task, into perpetuity.

Internally vented range hoods have maintenance specified in order to manage risk to an acceptable level i.e. filters must be cleaned. This is how those devices attain UL and/or CE ratings. Open flame cooktops also specify ventilation requirements and warnings as appropriate for the type of fuel and BTU output. So the issue of fire hazard is mitigated.
Operational smoke/fire alarms are required.

Now comes a modification to the unit. A nonstandard vent is installed on the ODS of the unit. Cooking fumes are now exhausted directly out the side and now permeate the adjacent campsite patio. The neighbors are offended by the aroma of whatever it is that you are burning and, after seeking informal resolution and failing to obtain any, file a suit. Once again the system goes into full speed ahead and the winners are:
The Lawyers.

Disclaimer:
The above scenario is fictional and intended for entertainment purposes only. Any argument to the contrary is rejected.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
Denver, CO

X2
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #28

DRAT! You have exposed one of my main weaknesses - I’m a terrible cook. In fact, I’m so bad at it, I don’t even try, except to brew a cup of coffee each morning. But all that aside, I still have to leave the trailer when the wife is frying fish or creating other noxious odors on that devilish gas range with no vented hood above it. I guess I’m one of those grumps who doesn’t like to have his fresh clean air polluted unnecessarily with dangerous smoke, poisonous gasses and foul odors.
Regarding the use of unvented apartment gas ranges, in most all jurisdictions they are prohibited under modern building codes in new construction, and only allowed in older construction if there is no practical way to provide an outside exhaust - this does not mean that unvented gas ranges are a good idea.. There is simply no excuse for not installing an outside vented range hood over a gas range in a modern trailer, except perhaps the added cost of a few dollars to the manufacturer. Dangerous combustion gasses will build up much more rapidly in the smaller volume of a trailer than in a far more spacious apartment. Even without an uncontrolled range fire but as a result of regular cooking activities, considerable amounts of carbon dioxide may be released into an unvented trailer, and at the same time significant amounts of carbon monoxide can be produced by slightly misadjusted or dirty gas burners. These are real long term health hazards according to the EPA and their new clean air standards reflect such concerns.
After retiring, I put in ten years as a volunteer fireman. After many hours of watching fire training films, it became quite apparent that most residential fire victims are dead long before the fire actually reaches them - they die from inhaling deadly airborne products of the fire - and the very limited volume of trailers makes the danger of such deadly gasses much more severe.
Lastly, who said anything about suing anybody - after working for thirty years for the federal government, I am very familiar with the brush-off technique often used to avoid dealing with valid citizen concerns. I simply do not wish to spend any more of my time on this problem and hoped that someone with certified legal training and better bureaucratic arm-twisting abilities than I, might become interested in the merits of this issue and want to follow up on the matter.
As you can probably tell, I do not consider this as a humorous matter, but rather as potentially a matter of life or death for some of us RV’ers.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #29

I was looking thur my C/C papers and I found a cutout for a outside vent today, all you had to do is line up the cutout and make the cut. DW will not let me do it, I would make a mistake and make a wrong cut but I am going to take the C/C someplace and let someone else do it for me. I had already found a cutout to make the cut for the outside dryer, I just have to find someone to do the work.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I was looking thur my C/C papers and I found a cutout for a outside vent today, all you had to do is line up the cutout and make the cut. DW will not let me do it, I would make a mistake and make a wrong cut but I am going to take the C/C someplace and let someone else do it for me. I had already found a cutout to make the cut for the outside dryer, I just have to find someone to do the work.
Hey spock, see the link that I posted on post 8 of this thread. Tell the person that does the work to read my post. I found 12 volt DC wires and 120 volt AC wires in the wall where the vent goes. Also, when cutting the hole for my dryer vent, I found another 120 volt AC wire running through the wall at that location.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #31

I doubt DW would allow me to cut I to the wall either. Secondly, I'd be a little unsure of myself. Thank you letting me know that it can be done. As full timers, that may be a really good idea. Please send pics, either of you guys. Thanks!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #32

You can find pics here! Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Changing Microwave to exhaust out of camper

Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #33

I will have to get DW to help me send a picture but Cedar Creek has a template and if I can sometime this weekend I will take a picture of it and post it
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #34

Joe,

Great project, a little scary with the internal wires, but doable. Where did you get the vent? Looks like a good project and I may give it a try. If I run into problems I live just south of you on Eagle Bend Island on the Nassau River (North Jacksonville) maybe I could take a look at your install.
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
In response to Post#24...
Without discussing (or arguing) the merits of the of individual points, I must admit that I'm stuck on the one labeled as #3, Odors. I wonder why one would want to remove those wonderful cooking aromas that we love. The smell of coffee and breakfast permeating the unit and waking us from our sleep. Garlic and onions sautéing in preparation of the evening meal. Bread and cookies baking in the oven and the list goes on.
X2.

And we cook a lot of stuff outside, which reminds me - they say that the "grill marks" on food are carcinogens too...

Anyhow, I could see where maybe with a park model or for a full timer, no outside vent is an issue. Just have it modified. The relatively small cost is a lot easier than trying to fight the manufacturer and the gov't. No different, in my opinion, than adding say a power tongue jack, nice set of wheel chocks, a high end anti-sway hitch. There are lots of good safety-related upgrades people add after they buy an RV.

Every apartment I ever had (and one house) had recirculating fans over the stove. Messy, but not against code. You can still buy/install them, so I doubt you can get much traction in trying to force the RV manufacturers not to use them.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkrun View Post
Joe,

Great project, a little scary with the internal wires, but doable. Where did you get the vent? Looks like a good project and I may give it a try. If I run into problems I live just south of you on Eagle Bend Island on the Nassau River (North Jacksonville) maybe I could take a look at your install.
Steve, I got the vent from Amazon. Info below:
Ventline (V2111-13) Polar White Horizontal Exterior Wall Vent

The use of the oscillating cutter tool Porter-Cable PCE605K Tradesman 31-Piece 3.0 Amp Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit with Case was paramount to doing a good job. A fine tooth blade and holding it so you only get enough penetration to cut the wood is what saved me from cutting the wires. You're certainly welcome to look at mine, but you probably wouldn't get any more out of a visual since it is all put together. When you get ready, let me know and I can message you my phone number. You can then call whenever you have questions or get into trouble!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #37

Put a vent in our rig in June '13 when I had to replace the Microwave (Cedar Creek provided the replacement, free). For us, it makes a world of difference when cooking. Two things to remember: small whole to start, enlarge as needed, and (2), flip the fan in the Microwave.
Greentow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentow View Post
Put a vent in our rig in June '13 when I had to replace the Microwave (Cedar Creek provided the replacement, free). For us, it makes a world of difference when cooking. Two things to remember: small whole to start, enlarge as needed, and (2), flip the fan in the Microwave.
Good advice Greentow. When I get around to this mod, I'm going to take it slow an easy when cutting....My DW will be happy,happy,happy when she has her vent
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Hey spock, see the link that I posted on post 8 of this thread. Tell the person that does the work to read my post. I found 12 volt DC wires and 120 volt AC wires in the wall where the vent goes. Also, when cutting the hole for my dryer vent, I found another 120 volt AC wire running through the wall at that location.
Thanks I plan to show whoever does the work the pictures on here. I like to smell some things cooking but after I eat the food I don't want to keep smelling the foods that I just cooked, I think I am a good cook. The DW hates the smell of a campfire but we can live with other campers with a campfire. I don't trust myself enough to do the work myself, some things I am good at and I am not good at sawing things and anything to do with electric, I have blew to many fuses at my house to mess with anything electric and I know you are suppouse to measure twice and cut once , I could measure ten times and still get it wrong. I may take camper to a auto body shop and let them do it
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #40

Good news folks! I found an RV repair guy to install an outside exhaust vent for my recirculating range hood. If you have one of those new vibrating type saws (mine is 800 miles away at home) the job is a cinch. It cuts through fiberglass and aluminum like butter and makes a really clean rectangular hole. Yes, there were wires running through the new hole, but with the shallow cut of the vibrating saw, they are much easier to avoid. And there was no need to buy a new hood - he just cut a matching hole in the back of the existing hood with 4” rotary grinder cutoff wheel, and taped over the recirculating passage with metal insulating tape. A bit more of the tape applied to seal the wall penetration, install the vent, seal with a little caulk and the job was done. The outside flapper type vent is a standard item available at most RV dealers for about $20.
Ours new vent works like a charm (just remember to open a window slightly to provide a little fresh air while it is running). And a big bonus is the smoke alarms don’t go off in the middle of a fry job! By the way, you folks without outside range vents whose smoke and CO alarms don’t go off when you are cooking in a closed space might want to check to make sure your alarms are in good working condition.
I should also mention I found a small sticker on the underside of my recirculating range hood stating: “Suitable for use in recreational vehicles only. To reduce risk of fire and to properly exhaust air, be sure to duct air outside - Do not exhaust air into spaces within walls, ceilings or into attics, crawl spaces.” Sounds like darned good advice to me - too bad the trailer manufacturer chose to ignore it.

Tags
vent