Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Late Model Silverbacks

Alright, although we're leaning more towards the Cedar Creek 36B4 for full timing next year, I gotta ask about the Silverback 35QB4 as well. My questions:

* The vaulted slides. Any troubles with wiper / bulb seals, leaks or anything else? I like them from the interior, but still wonder about the design being proven and all working as it's supposed to. You lose the slide toppers, but you have the slope so no water stays on top anyway. I guess there are pros and cons to this design.
* Frame. A little sacrifice not having the dropped frame, but still a good bit of space. I'm guessing it's a lippert. Any troubles with this frame? We would not add the level up system if we went this route.
* I see there is no generator option. Having not looked at one in person yet, is there space for one? Is this one of those options like a third AC, that you have to ask as it's not on the option list?
* Anybody ever added a third AC?

So far, the only things I can find that I'd miss in this model that the Cedar Creek has, is the residential fridge and drop frame. If we went with the Silverback, I'd put a residential and inverter in myself anyway. Pretty easy swap out once you get the sizing right. Other than that, quite a difference in price for a few bells and whistles.

I'm open to any opinions or input. Doesn't necessarily have to be this particular model. Got a little less than a year to decide.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Full Timer

John,
I don't remember all the differences but there is a lot of differences in the two. I asked the CC rep that question about four months back, Was I smart to have bought the CC over the Silverback and what would they have bought if they were me? They said hands down the CC and he started to rattle off all the differences and I knew I made the right decision when he was done. The one that sticks in my head is I have all real hardwood and the Silverback is pine I believe. I thought is was just some bells and whistles and a few things, so I thought for half the prices I should have bought a Silverback, however he informed me and sorry I don't remember them all.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Do you have a name or email for the rep? My biggest concerns with any RV is overall construction, slide seals and roof. Eye candy doesn't matter as much. I know its not the case with cedar creek, but some manufacturers know how to put icing on a turd and make it look like a birthday cake if you know what I mean.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Full Timer

I know for sure what you mean, we like the Elite Suites-Manhattan, but I have met to many people with major problems with there DRVs that scares me from getting one. The rep I worked with and liked is no longer there, Jeff took his place. His number is 260-593-2598.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Alright, although we're leaning more towards the Cedar Creek 36B4 for full timing next year, I gotta ask about the Silverback 35QB4 as well. My questions:

* The vaulted slides. Any troubles with wiper / bulb seals, leaks or anything else? I like them from the interior, but still wonder about the design being proven and all working as it's supposed to. You lose the slide toppers, but you have the slope so no water stays on top anyway. I guess there are pros and cons to this design.
* Frame. A little sacrifice not having the dropped frame, but still a good bit of space. I'm guessing it's a lippert. Any troubles with this frame? We would not add the level up system if we went this route.
* I see there is no generator option. Having not looked at one in person yet, is there space for one? Is this one of those options like a third AC, that you have to ask as it's not on the option list?

So far, the only things I can find that I'd miss in this model that the Cedar Creek has, is the residential fridge and drop frame. If we went with the Silverback, I'd put a residential and inverter in myself anyway. Pretty easy swap out once you get the sizing right. Other than that, quite a difference in price for a few bells and whistles.

I'm open to any opinions or input. Doesn't necessarily have to be this particular model. Got a little less than a year to decide.
Big John,

When you ask about Lippert chassis, this has been hotly cussed & discussed here. My suggestion is to use the search function on this forum. Search for Lippert Chassis. I am NOT a Lippert fan! With that said, understand that they enjoy an 85% market share and if you arm yourself with knowledge by learning the limits, maintenance procedures and diligently keep a close eye in your various weight limits vs actuals you should be able to achieved a long life despite any Lippert product shortcomings.

I have a Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (Lippert chassis) and do keep my weights below the limits (GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc. etc). I keep the tires serviced to specs & keep my speed below the design limits. We also changed suspension, brakes & tires (MorRyde IS, Kodiak Hyd disc brakes, Goodyear ST 17.5" tires). from those provided by Cedar Creek because the trailers are designed without consideration of the nations road conditions we presently face, let alone what we'll see in the future. We made a decision that hopefully isolates the effects of bad roads from this chassis.

One thought to always bear in mind: If Manufacturer's manuals are ignored, one must look forward to those rewards that will follow!

Travel safe & informed!

Mikey
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post

Big John, remember that a dealer sales rep generally has his interest above yours. Arm yourself with facts & verify by whatever means available those claims proffered by the sales force!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

One issue DW and I had when we were looking at 5ers a couple years ago was the fact that the rain water coming off the 1/2 the cathedral slide by the door would give you a shower. One other thing was the lack of a pantry in the models we were considering. Otherwise we really liked the Silverbacks.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Thanks for all the comments. I've never liked or believed salesmen. I usually walk in knowing the answers to all the questions I'm gonna ask, just to mess with them. Usually I get a stupid look and they walk away, or as with the last trip to a dealer, the salesman said I knew more than him and said he could be of no help to me. I live and breathe RVs and have studied them top to bottom since i got my first brochure at 5 years old. I'm well aware of lipperts issues as I've followed them for years. Everything from broke suspensions and axles to cracked frames etc. I don't care for them, but they're not going anywhere. I ask here where I can get honest feedback and real world issues. There's not one RV on the market that satisfies us 100%. So, we always have to settle for the best average of construction, fit and finish, seals, frame design and on and on as originally mentioned. And, as with all of them I've bought, they spend several weeks in my shop getting fixed, checked, redone, upgraded taken apart and reassembled etc. etc. before they ever hit the road or get slept in. Whichever fifth wheel we decide on will be purchased WAY before we're ready to move in, for the reasons mentioned above. As for weights, we've always kept our rigs way under weight, for cheap insurance and peace of mind. Tires, usually end up trashing the ones that come on them and putting what I want.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

I have a 2011 Silverback 29re. Except for a couple of minor issues, no problems. We are we very satisfied with it. As far as the water coming off the slide by door, it has not been a problem. I don't usually go in or out in a heavy rainstorm
clydngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

We have a 2013 Silverback 29re, just came back from Branson rally, drove thru some major rain on the way home, seals seem to have worked in keeping out water, knock on wood!!
I think I may have developed a shower or shower door leak, have yet to investigate.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

I wondered about the water runoff by the door. If its pouring, I'm sure I wouldn't be headed outside anyway. I'm sure in the future they'll come up with a fix for that. The shower door leaking reminds me of our last fifth wheel. Corner fiberglass garden tub with sliding glass doors. Ours kept getting water on the floor. In the end, I took the whole door assembly out and started from scratch. Laid a nice bead of sealer and reset the bottom track. They had sealed as far as they could reach on the outside where it sits on the tub base, then continued on the inside. Pretty much acted like a weep hole.

Thanks for all of the comments. Helps us think.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

We have a 2013 Silverback 33RL, the vaulted slides are great, no problems or leaks and we have been in rain, rained for a few days with some downpours. The water comes off the slide near the step but does not interfere with going in and out of the door. We really are happy with ours, we have some small issues that the dealer is dealing with. We really like how quiet it is, you dont hear outside noise as we did in our other 5th wheel. We have nothing but good things to say. Love the vaulted ceiling on the inside, very different. Hope this helps.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Thanks Canada. Always good to here positive feedback. Not too many manufacturers, if any, doing the vaulted slides like these. Now, when will A&E come out with a slide topper for these? Probably won't, but it would be interesting. They achieved the 20' plus full wall slide toppers, so I'm sure with a little thought it could be done. I know the toppers aren't necessary, but I've always looked at them as cheap insurance. Not so much worried about limbs and leaves up there, but they will help keep the top seal from leaking. Downside to the topper, it's a bit of a pain to clean the roof of the slide and the top seal. The vaulted roof seems to be functional for keeping water from sitting on top of the slide, and looks neat on the inside.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
... snip...
I have a Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (Lippert chassis) and do keep my weights below the limits (GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc. etc). I keep the tires serviced to specs & keep my speed below the design limits. We also changed suspension, brakes & tires (MorRyde IS, Kodiak Hyd disc brakes, Goodyear ST 17.5" tires). from those provided by Cedar Creek because the trailers are designed without consideration of the nations road conditions we presently face, let alone what we'll see in the future. We made a decision that hopefully isolates the effects of bad roads from this chassis.
....snip...
Mickey,
Would you mind tellin' who installed your MorRyde IS? I live in the Dallas area, not sure there is a dealer here I trust. Thank you.
Joe
5wJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
Plain Old Member

I'd love to know that as well. I love MorRyde stuff. We had the MR CRE/3000 and the pin box on our mobile scout. Smooth enough to leave a glass on the table and it still be there when you get to your destination. I can only imagine how much better the IS would work. Definitely would have to be an experienced shop, as it looks like Mikey found. I'm sure it'd void the frame warranty, but I've voided every one of mine building and welding the receiver hitches under the back. I'm sure i could do the suspension, but it'd probably be better for somebody thats done it several times to do it. The pros outweigh the cons with this suspension upgrade. Wish this were an option from FR on ALL towables.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

We have a 2012 Silverback and beside some minor issues we love it. It tows very good even in high winds.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #17

We have a 2012 Silverback and except for squirrels have had no major issues. We love it and plan pn full timing in 1.1/2 yrs in it.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Good to hear all the positive feedback. I think the general consensus is that the CC and SB lines are on par.

It doesn't list a generator as an option, but has anyone had one installed? Looks like plenty of room for one in the front compartment. I know it could be done aftermarket as they do it all the time at some local shops. Just wonder if the factory would do it.

Also wondering if anybody's requested, or put in a third AC, more specifically on the 35QB4?