Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

"...so we definitely have an idea that we'd rather use the laundry facilities at the park"
Why haul around the equipment that is already at the destination?
Don't most places have even larger commercial machines? You can do fewer loads in less time.
You will be responsible for all service/repairs/ cleaning/etc for your own machines.
Why bother?
I understand your creative and inventive streak.
What will other people think about the noise from the machines and heat/humidity from the dryer vent?
I would not want a "laundry trailer" running next to my site nor would I want a portable shop set up next to me.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
John, out of curiosity, can you tell me the make / model of the washer and dryer you have. The term "portable" threw me off a little.
Big John,

Our washer is a Kenmore 2644722 and the dryer is a Kenmore 2684722 according to the sales receipt (Oct 2011). We have used both quite a bit and they have worked great, no issues.

They are "portable" as they were designed to be used in an apartment where you could roll them around. I just mounted them to a Sears Stackable stand, 2649971.

I was not sold on the combo units that people have installed since it takes so long to wash/dry. These have bigger capacities that the RV style. The dryer is 110v and not as efficient as a 220v at home, but still gets hot for drying.

As you can see by the pictures, we have them in a closet and there is a vent installed in the wall that vents to the road side of the RV. It's hard to see in the picture but look near the roof line, by the window, just to the left (fwd), between the slides.

I have manuals for them as well. If you'd like a pdf copy, let me know be sending an email to my gmail address. User johnwhagen as my email.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	38953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	38954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3708.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	38955  

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Plain Old Member

Thanks for the info and pictures. That wouldn't work in the fifth wheel, but would be a good fit for the trailer.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Plain Old Member

Twisty, geez man you'd think I was parking some trashy contraption next to you. I'll try to keep my comments clean here. Keep in mind, lots of RV's with washer / dryer combos built in, blowing heat on your camp site. Pretty much every furnace blows heat on your camp site. The trailer I'll be converting is small, and will be insulated like your RV (2" thick). My "shop" in the trailer is no more than a small countertop that would would be for minor repairs and small hobbies such as wood carving. NOT an industrial auto shop. You wouldn't hear any more noise out of this than you would your RV. You'd hear more noise out of my kids enjoying life. Never assume man, as its usually people with thoughts like yours that stop by our site out of curiosity and ask questions about our outside the box creations. I cruise the campgrounds and get ideas from others as well. I hope we cross paths one day as I think you have us figured all wrong. To each his own.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Twisty, geez man you'd think I was parking some trashy contraption next to you. I'll try to keep my comments clean here. Keep in mind, lots of RV's with washer / dryer combos built in, blowing heat on your camp site. Pretty much every furnace blows heat on your camp site. The trailer I'll be converting is small, and will be insulated like your RV (2" thick). My "shop" in the trailer is no more than a small countertop that would would be for minor repairs and small hobbies such as wood carving. NOT an industrial auto shop. You wouldn't hear any more noise out of this than you would your RV. You'd hear more noise out of my kids enjoying life. Never assume man, as its usually people with thoughts like yours that stop by our site out of curiosity and ask questions about our outside the box creations. I cruise the campgrounds and get ideas from others as well. I hope we cross paths one day as I think you have us figured all wrong. To each his own.
It wouldn't bother us a bit, as seasonal campers. We're used to everyone setting up shop in their sheds. I think as more baby boomers retire and full time RV, it will become more common to see household things and activities at CGs. P.S. I think your washer/dryer set up is stellar!! Looks very attractive and comfortable.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

Thanks bodz. Well, its gonna happen for sure. Fixing to order the trailer, which will be a 6x10 tandem v-nose with 1 RV door and the 2 swinging doors. Got most of my parts list and vendors picked. Trailer will be rigged similar to the typical small RV. Progressive Dynamics power control center / converter, Atwood water heater, Coleman polar cub AC with wall t-stat, 1 fantastic vent fan, led lights, stack washer / dryer, tool box, closet and small countertop with cabinets beneath. All fits nicely on paper. We have another single axle 6x10 I was able to tape out dimensions on walls/ floor just to make sure. Not extremely roomy, but very functional. Design of course subject to change as it progresses. Now, just trying to decide on stack washer and dryer brand. Probably opting for the smaller RV size units. We wood put them in the already prepped fifth wheel, but I need the ccc more in that rig.

Anybody got opinions of the splendide vs. the whirlpool stack units for RV's? Some still say I'm crazy, but whether or not I need it, it'll be there if I want it, plus I love doing this stuff anyway. Wife has had much input on this. She wanted 6' wide opposed to 7' due to not wanting anything she needed tow mirrors for on the expedition, 10' where it will most definitely fit in a campsite, and a taller profile for obvious reasons. My job is just to build and make it work. It will be several months due to the way I work, but I will definitely post pictures as it progresses. Thanks for everybody's input, good or bad, as it keeps the brain turning.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Former Full Timer

You might want to take a look at these alternative units. I know folks that have them in RV's and are happy with the products.

They can be purchased at Wally Mart for
about $525 for the pair.

Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine, HLP21N

Haier Portable Companion Electric Vented Dryer, HLP141E

Hope this helps.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You certainly are for me. While I'm not the laundry do-er in my house, I couldn't imagine dragging a trailer around just for that. But I didn't want to be a naysayer. :-)
After 2 months on the road and serious talk about a 1 year trip and maybe even full-timing with kids, we chatted about this idea.

My biggest issue with working full time from the camper for the summer was having comfortable and private working accommodations.

My day would start with me at the dinette around 6am (or earlier when we were in Central time). Around 9am, I'd have a conference call and I'd head outside to the picnic table to not disturb my still sleeping family (Reflectix on all windows blacks out the bedrooms). After I'd get sore or hot or screen glare would wash out the screen, I'd head up to the bedroom for the rest of the day. My seat is a folding chair (like this) and my "desk" was a TV tray. The chair was hard; the desk was the wrong height. And, I had to turn off the A/C whenever I had conference calls as it was too noisy.

We talked about a setup with a SUV pulling a small utility trailer. Inside would be setup with an "office" and we even chuckled that we could carry an apartment-sized washer/dryer in it.

Would/could be a lot of work, but it was fun dreaming about wild ideas.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #19

I think it is a great idea. My best friend from high school used to do drag racing as a hobby. He drove a 45' motor home with a 40' trailer to carry his drag racer and auto stuff. I think you could do a lot with that extra 40' trailer behind you. You have the choice of double or triple axles so weight is not gonna be a concern. I world is your oyster.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
After 2 months on the road and serious talk about a 1 year trip and maybe even full-timing with kids, we chatted about this idea.

My biggest issue with working full time from the camper for the summer was having comfortable and private working accommodations.

My day would start with me at the dinette around 6am (or earlier when we were in Central time). Around 9am, I'd have a conference call and I'd head outside to the picnic table to not disturb my still sleeping family (Reflectix on all windows blacks out the bedrooms). After I'd get sore or hot or screen glare would wash out the screen, I'd head up to the bedroom for the rest of the day. My seat is a folding chair (like this) and my "desk" was a TV tray. The chair was hard; the desk was the wrong height. And, I had to turn off the A/C whenever I had conference calls as it was too noisy.

We talked about a setup with a SUV pulling a small utility trailer. Inside would be setup with an "office" and we even chuckled that we could carry an apartment-sized washer/dryer in it.

Would/could be a lot of work, but it was fun dreaming about wild ideas.
Last winter as the snow records kept getting broken I was thinking about packing up the family and heading south. One of my concerns was the office situation. It's noisy enough with a room with a closed off door, how could I ever work from a trailer?

So, in my daydreaming I figured I could find an old truck camper to modify. Rip out the dinette, etc to turn into office space, throw the camper in the bed of the truck, hook up the TT to the hitch and away we go. Of course to to that I'd also need a new truck, as the camper + hitch + family would way exceed my 1/2 ton's limits now, so budget prevailed and I never looked further into it.