Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Plain Old Member

Laundry - Full Timing

Over the years and past several RVs. We've always managed laundry pretty well. We always stay in what I consider very nice parks with laundry. An idea I've batted around for a while now, is what if I had my own laundry room. Sounds crazy. Years back after hurricane Katrina and Rita, I was hired by a group to build / convert a cargo trailer into a disaster relief trailer that fit their criteria. I use to do a lot of welding, carpentry, electrical etc on my off days, sometimes for a little extra income, but thats slowed down with kids now. This trailer I converted started as. 6.5 x 12 cargo. They wanted chainsaw and tool storage, work bench, spot for an ATV, roof AC, genset, and a skad of other things. Tight fit, but got it all in their and made some people happy. So with that project in the past, now I'm thinking, what if I converted another trailer to a wash / storage room? Washer, dryer, clothes folding table, storage, AC, etc. We've got 2 cargo trailers, a 6.5 x 12 and a 7x16 to stair at and think. It would serve as extra storage for bikes, toys, clothes and tools while in transit, and once their, a personal laundry room. Only thing I had t figured out, is how I'd power a 50 amp cargo trailer and still rent just one site. The benefits of having large capacity washer / dryer and the storage is appealing. I know I can get the stack unit in the CC, but they are just way too small for how many clothes we wash. To keep up we'd be washing clothes all day every day. Keep in mind we've been RVing 10+ years and have lived for short periods in 2 of the 6 RVs, so we definitely have an idea that we'd rather use the laundry facilities at the park, or have our own LARGE washer / dryer. I'm definitely a dreamer, thinker and think way outside the box sometimes. Has anyone ever seen a set up like I'm thinking of or heard of one. I've seen a lot of full timers with cargo trailers, but don't know what was in them. I'll probably never build it, but I never build half of the crazy things I think of. Thoughts?

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Guess I'm alone on that idea.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Guess I'm alone on that idea.
You certainly are for me. While I'm not the laundry do-er in my house, I couldn't imagine dragging a trailer around just for that. But I didn't want to be a naysayer. :-)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Well, the only reason I'm thinking outside the box a little is that this new rig will be our home. I don't do the laundry much either, but my wife likes her laundry area / space. Pretty much selling everything. Have already sold off 2 vehicles, bought new tow rig, house is somewhat up for sale, packing stuff etc. So, I want home to be as close to the comforts of a stick home as possible. A lot of full timers have some sort of small trailer, or at least some of the ones I've conversed with in person have. We will have 2 vehicles still (tow rig and SUV), so no need to double tow. Just left a park in Houston the other day mostly occupied by full timers. There were at least 3 cargo trailers, mostly for "toys" and storage. We have no plans of moving around a lot. maybe every 4-6 months. In reality, it probably won't ever happen, but I have to at least throw options at my wife and come up with crazy ideas. Helps her think.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
MI Camperz

I think it's a brilliant idea, esp. since you won't be moving often, only every 4-6 months! We aren't full timers, just half-timers. Half the year we are home and the other half at our seasonal site. Was thinking of installing in my shed (similar principal). WTG!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

If you were to go with a gas dryer you would not need 220 volt for the dryer. The 6.5 X 12' trailer would most likely fit the need. The washer and dryer could be mounted in the front of the trailer with a drop down folding table. The trailer could also be used for storage of other items. If you are full timing you will want to have some extra items that will not fit in the unit you are living in. You could also use the larger trailer and make a granny suite in it along with the laundry room.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Caper, your kind of reading my mind here. Hadn't thought of the gas dryer. Good option. Was pretty much thinking along the lines of the layout and use you mentioned. Washer / dryer up front, folding table, and storage for misc stuff. As for a suite, pretty much everybody in the immediate family has their own RV, so they're on their own 😀.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Ok, not to backtrack on myself, but I gotta ask. For those of you that have the stackable, or separate washer and dryer in your fifth wheel, just how many clothes can you wash at a time, and how reliable are the splendide sets? They are now offering the separate washer and dryer in the silverbacks, so we're considering this option just in case.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

I purchased a set of portable washer/dryer from Sears and a stack rack. Installed all of it in my hall linen closet (2008 37RDQS). After almost 5 years of operation, no issues. We are not full timers but have probably washed a hundred or so loads. Nice to have dryer working while washer is doing another load as well.

John
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

John, out of curiosity, can you tell me the make / model of the washer and dryer you have. The term "portable" threw me off a little.