Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
Thanks OL Creeker. I've thought about making some, but I hadn't got around to it. Somebody had mentioned making some out of 2x10's to take up some of the slack, or reduce the amount of jack stroke, and provide a pad for the foot. Might go this route. In the mean time, I have pads, I just haven't used them yet except when I set it up in the gravel driveway to wash it. It's those 1" thick 12"x12" pads from BigFoot Construction made for motorhomes. Had them for the Tiffin, and they are no doubt indestructible, but don't do much for reducing the jack stroke.

While I'm asking questions, what about the ATF? It says use ATF, but is there any specific kind? One better than another? Ford, Chevy, generic? What's everybody using if needed?
__________________

__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
...
While I'm asking questions, what about the ATF? It says use ATF, but is there any specific kind? One better than another? Ford, Chevy, generic? What's everybody using if needed?
I used Mobil Synthetic to top off after I bled the air out.
1/2" from the top with slides and jacks retracted is where you
want to be. Getting it in the hole is a challenge. I set aside 1/2 of the container
in a clean empty jar so I could get a good shot at the filler with the other half.
__________________

__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
I found the below instructions from Lippert on another forum in regards to the popping noise. I'll probably call Lipper just to verify, but out of curiosity, where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned?

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction
fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly
as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the
audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
iceblaze580's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Here and there
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I found the below instructions from Lippert on another forum in regards to the popping noise. I'll probably call Lipper just to verify, but out of curiosity, where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned? Introduction: If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below: 1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1) 2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2) 3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3) For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance. Preparation: 1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid) 2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.) 3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks. Process: 1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir. 2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid. 3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully. 4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid. 5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks. 6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual. NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
possibly get the fluids at a heavy machinery repair shop
__________________
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
racer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 107
Quote:
where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned?
The first two fluids are motorcycle fork oil, so get them at a motorcycle shop. BTW, motorcycle forks are the front suspension on a motorcycle.

Get the last fluid at the nearest Caterpillar service shop.
__________________
Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin Dually, 4.10 axle ratio, Auto Flex Air Ride Rear Suspension
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, Disc Brakes
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
Racer4, thank you for that bit of info. Definitely helps.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Berryville, Arkansas
Posts: 709
Has anyone used this anti-stiction fluid? Care to report on success or not?
__________________


2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 34
Lifting tires on one side

Can I extend the side jacks on one side to raise the tires about two inches to slide some wood under that side and then level up the fifth wheel?
__________________
irish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish01 View Post
Can I extend the side jacks on one side to raise the tires about two inches to slide some wood under that side and then level up the fifth wheel?
I wouldn't recommend this.

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish01 View Post
Can I extend the side jacks on one side to raise the tires about two inches to slide some wood under that side and then level up the fifth wheel?
I don't see where it would be a problem, my C/C has stayed off the ground for a week or more. Just be careful, I plan if I ever have a flat tire is to lift up that side and change the flat. I see motorhomes off the ground a lot
__________________

__________________
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.