Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Thanks OL Creeker. I've thought about making some, but I hadn't got around to it. Somebody had mentioned making some out of 2x10's to take up some of the slack, or reduce the amount of jack stroke, and provide a pad for the foot. Might go this route. In the mean time, I have pads, I just haven't used them yet except when I set it up in the gravel driveway to wash it. It's those 1" thick 12"x12" pads from BigFoot Construction made for motorhomes. Had them for the Tiffin, and they are no doubt indestructible, but don't do much for reducing the jack stroke.

While I'm asking questions, what about the ATF? It says use ATF, but is there any specific kind? One better than another? Ford, Chevy, generic? What's everybody using if needed?

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
While I'm asking questions, what about the ATF? It says use ATF, but is there any specific kind? One better than another? Ford, Chevy, generic? What's everybody using if needed?
I used Mobil Synthetic to top off after I bled the air out.
1/2" from the top with slides and jacks retracted is where you
want to be. Getting it in the hole is a challenge. I set aside 1/2 of the container
in a clean empty jar so I could get a good shot at the filler with the other half.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

I found the below instructions from Lippert on another forum in regards to the popping noise. I'll probably call Lipper just to verify, but out of curiosity, where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned?

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction
fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly
as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the
audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I found the below instructions from Lippert on another forum in regards to the popping noise. I'll probably call Lipper just to verify, but out of curiosity, where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned? Introduction: If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below: 1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1) 2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2) 3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3) For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance. Preparation: 1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid) 2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.) 3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks. Process: 1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir. 2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid. 3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully. 4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid. 5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks. 6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual. NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
possibly get the fluids at a heavy machinery repair shop
Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
where in the world do you get any of the 3 fluids mentioned?
The first two fluids are motorcycle fork oil, so get them at a motorcycle shop. BTW, motorcycle forks are the front suspension on a motorcycle.

Get the last fluid at the nearest Caterpillar service shop.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

Racer4, thank you for that bit of info. Definitely helps.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #17

Has anyone used this anti-stiction fluid? Care to report on success or not?

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #18

Lifting tires on one side

Can I extend the side jacks on one side to raise the tires about two inches to slide some wood under that side and then level up the fifth wheel?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish01 View Post
Can I extend the side jacks on one side to raise the tires about two inches to slide some wood under that side and then level up the fifth wheel?
I wouldn't recommend this.

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish01 View Post
I don't see where it would be a problem, my C/C has stayed off the ground for a week or more. Just be careful, I plan if I ever have a flat tire is to lift up that side and change the flat. I see motorhomes off the ground a lot