Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don't see where it would be a problem, my C/C has stayed off the ground for a week or more. Just be careful, I plan if I ever have a flat tire is to lift up that side and change the flat. I see motorhomes off the ground a lot

I don't think we're talking apples to apples. Those motorhome jacks are a lot beefier than your 5th wheel. You may be able to lift off briefly to change a flat tire or slide a board under but in no way would I stay off the ground for a week.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I don't think we're talking apples to apples. Those motorhome jacks are a lot beefier than your 5th wheel. You may be able to lift off briefly to change a flat tire or slide a board under but in no way would I stay off the ground for a week.
I don't see what the problem is, I try now to keep the tires on the ground but if I can't then so be it. I don't spend a lot of time trying to keep the tires off the ground, if what I do works and if it doesn't the camper is still level and all is well, whats the worst that could happen? The jacks go down, there is a lot of weight on those jacks if the tires are on the ground or not.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don't see what the problem is, I try now to keep the tires on the ground but if I can't then so be it. I don't spend a lot of time trying to keep the tires off the ground, if what I do works and if it doesn't the camper is still level and all is well, whats the worst that could happen? The jacks go down, there is a lot of weight on those jacks if the tires are on the ground or not.

I am not an expert but i do recall quite a few post about doing this and flexing/tourqing the frame pretty good. Just trying to help.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #24

I was told at the Wildcat factory that you could not put the Level-up in any position that would mess up the campers frame. The level-up does not know if the wheels are off the ground or not, all it knows is if the camper is level, sometimes there is just enough tire on the ground to keep the tire from spinning. The camper is beside my house now, jacks down, slides out,plugged in and it will be that way until I get ready to go someplace.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
Plain Old Member

Even on the Motorhomes, at least tiffin, they tell you to not, or try not to pull the wheels off of the ground, however they do it. Heck they drive around with the slides out, and we've all been warned about that. I have lifted front wheels up on the mh to change oil, or leaned to one side for tank dumping, but I really don't care to. I don't trust any of the hydraulics. They can fail, which obviously will lead to issues. Everybody has their own level of trust and comfort zone with them. They are made by humans and controlled by computer, which are perfect right.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #26

I didn't say that I would trust the Level-up to crawl under the camper with the jacks up, if I ever change a tire on camper I will put my plastic pads under the frame to make sure it don't fall on me. There is a campground in Piegon Forge that if you stay on a river site you have to work to keep the tires on the ground. I just said that its no big deal if the tires are not on the ground, its also not a problem if you want to pick camper up and put boards under the tires and then let camper back down. Thats why there is a manual mode for the Level-Up.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #27
Plain Old Member

I'd like to go back to some of the original subject. The question was asked earlier if anybody had used any of the additives in an attempt to eliminate the popping or air in the system.

Has anybody used them?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #28

yes anti stiction additives work but not by eliminating air from the system. they work by lubricating the hydraulic system so you dont hear the noise made by the valves in the system that are there to equalize or protect the system. even though you are not running your hydraulics temperature changes and load changes still affect the system and it will make slight changes witch is what you are hearing
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Plain Old Member

Thank you for that info lbruning.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #30

This is a great 30 minute video on the level up system

mikepizz is offline   Reply With Quote