Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Lippert auto level

This morning while I was hooking up, I had a malfunction with my leveling system which prevented me from retracting my landing gear. An external sensor fault was displayed. I retracted the landing gear by overriding the motor with a drill and was able to get on my way. When I got home, I powered the system back up and so far all seems to be working fine. Has anybody had this type of experience with this system?

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Could just be a loose connection with one of the plug connectors. I'd check all them you can find.
Mine did act up once I remember and I turned it off waited a bit and turned it back on and been good for a year so far with no issues. I did check all my connectors but hard to say if I found one loose.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

If my jacks stop retracting for what ever reason I just push the up-down arrows until manual mode is displayed. I then have to press the "enter" button to select this mode. Now you have to make sure the retract led is lit by pushing the "retract" button. At this point the "rear" button will bring up all 4 rams, one at a time. If you press "left" it will bring up the left rams one at time and the same for "right" button.

I have had my rams stop operating and have always been able to recover by putting in the "manual mode". This is true for set up also.
Just remember if the retract led is not on the Rams will go down. The "rear" controls all 4 rear Rams, not the most rear Rams. Left controls the 2 left Rams and vice versa for right. In all cases, one ram at a time until they start pushing the unit up or fully retracted (pump loads up).

I've started to bring my rear Rams up on my last trip. The unit was auto leveled and I started from that mode by just selecting retract button and then pressing the rear button. The rear Rams started to retract but I decided for some reason to put them back down and then none of the buttons would work. Pressed up-down until manual mode was displayed and then hit enter. I was able to operated all Rams again.

The front or landing Rams will work in any mode as far as I can tell. I don't use the left-right simultaneous feature as I like to raise the pin to where I want it and then back in TV and lower to my desired height for hitching.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

It can can also throw the breakers (located in the front storage)
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentf View Post
It can can also throw the breakers (located in the front storage)
It? What is it that can throw the breakers?

Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Any update?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

No

Elko, Va.
Cedar Creek 36B2
Old 10-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

I had a breaker trip while it started the auto level sequence. It went all the way down (unlevel ground) with the front rams and stopped within a few seconds of bottoming out. I found the breaker and reset it and it has been fine.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where was the breaker on yours?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #10

It is in the front storage. It was by the hydraulic pump, under a small black plastic cover that holds 2 breakers for the hydraulic pumps and auto level unit. Of coarse, it was at 11 PM in a forest.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
It is in the front storage. It was by the hydraulic pump, under a small black plastic cover that holds 2 breakers for the hydraulic pumps and auto level unit. Of coarse, it was at 11 PM in a forest.
Jester
Lol, mine are not hydraulic but good to know.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #12

Lippert auto level

My 2016 31RK Silverback has Lippert auto leveler which likes to throw the breaker. The breakers are behind the battery compartment and accessible through the very front locker. It is on the drivers side behind a protective panel (no screws). Mine doesn't have a plastic panel covering it. Look for where your battery cables and other 12 volt wiring come together. The breakers are microbreakers on the side of the bus bar. Mine has three breakers and it usually only throws one of them. They are push in/pop out style. Just push in to reset.

When it throws the breakers the leveler panel still has power but the hydraulic pump does not.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

Lippert auto level

I did not have a breaker issue, it was an external sensor fault code.

Elko, Va.
Cedar Creek 36B2
Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Lippert auto level

I wish I understood how these things work. I suspect a sensor problem too because the system says it is grounding the gear but nothing is happening?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
I wish I understood how these things work. I suspect a sensor problem too because the system says it is grounding the gear but nothing is happening?
Try to reset your system, Pull the plug behind your board for 10 secs then replug it in. If it is still doing the samething go through the re-zeroing process. You push the top button 10 x's and then the bottom button 10 times that will re zero your sensors. If you look up LCI level up systems it will tell you how to do it, it is also in your manual. I think you might be out of stroke. When your in auto and you unhitch then by hitting auto level the rear will rams will come down until it feels resistance only. Then it will first dip down and level from front to back then side to side and will then go into check mode. When it is done checking front to back then side to side it should say success. Your front rams are 27" and the rear are 17" only. Also you must clear all errors that come on the screen by pressing enter. Otherwise it will lock. Hope that helps.... The second or third post on the first page explanes it pretty good. If all else fails call lippert they can walk you through it over the phone.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:

There are two separate 12Volt systems. Each with its own fuse/breaker power supply. The fused portion is small diameter wire for sensors, touch pad and the motor/pump controls. The other circuit is the pump/motor skid. That cable is large diameter and fed direct from the batteries with a CB inline to protect the motor. That could be open and allow the display with no action of the jacks.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #17

Every time my unit has stopped responding I have pushed the up-down mode selection arrows (not the front-rear arrows) until manual mode is displayed, then you have to press enter. It is now in manual mode. If you want to retract then push the retract button to turn on retract led. Obviously if a breaker is blown that is another issue. My system is hydraulic.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Try to reset your system, Pull the plug behind your board for 10 secs then replug it in. If it is still doing the samething go through the re-zeroing process. You push the top button 10 x's and then the bottom button 10 times that will re zero your sensors. If you look up LCI level up systems it will tell you how to do it, it is also in your manual. I think you might be out of stroke. When your in auto and you unhitch then by hitting auto level the rear will rams will come down until it feels resistance only. Then it will first dip down and level from front to back then side to side and will then go into check mode. When it is done checking front to back then side to side it should say success. Your front rams are 27" and the rear are 17" only. Also you must clear all errors that come on the screen by pressing enter. Otherwise it will lock. Hope that helps.... The second or third post on the first page explanes it pretty good. If all else fails call lippert they can walk you through it over the phone.
I pressed enter to clear the fault and it would not clear. I unplugged the panel and each time I plugged it back in the fault was still present. So I manually overrode the system to retract my rams by using a drill. When I got home and plugged it back in and tried it to drop the trailer, everything worked fine.

Elko, Va.
Cedar Creek 36B2
Old 10-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340_Formula_S View Post
I pressed enter to clear the fault and it would not clear. I unplugged the panel and each time I plugged it back in the fault was still present. So I manually overrode the system to retract my rams by using a drill. When I got home and plugged it back in and tried it to drop the trailer, everything worked fine.

Elko, Va.
Cedar Creek 36B2
So when you got home after manual retracting it cleared the error message when plugged in? Where you plugged in when it first Happened? I'm wondering if you had a loose connection somewhere. Very strange that it cleared by itself. Are you full with ATF fluid? May I ask what year is your CC? I know that they came out with a new board (control panel) in July of 2014. Did you have to pull any wires at the manifold to retract them manually? I hate problems like that which are intermittent. I would call Lippert to see if they can shed some light on it. If you find out why that happened please let us know....Glad it's working for you again. Does your unit have a switch on the outside that will just work your two front jacks? Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to figure out what could have happened....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
So when you got home after manual retracting it cleared the error message when plugged in? Where you plugged in when it first Happened? I'm wondering if you had a loose connection somewhere. Very strange that it cleared by itself. Are you full with ATF fluid? May I ask what year is your CC? I know that they came out with a new board (control panel) in July of 2014. Did you have to pull any wires at the manifold to retract them manually? I hate problems like that which are intermittent. I would call Lippert to see if they can shed some light on it. If you find out why that happened please let us know....Glad it's working for you again. Does your unit have a switch on the outside that will just work your two front jacks? Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to figure out what could have happened....

When I said plugged in, I was referring to the plug in the back of the panel. My unit is a 2012 model. There is no separate panel for the front jacks (landing gear), all work from the same panel. I was able to find the individual block valves and lock out the one needed to raise my landing gear by turning the screw in the bottom of the block and then opening it again when I tried it later at home. There is no need to pull any wires, just block off the valves.

Elko, Va.
Cedar Creek 36B2