Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Perhaps not looking ahead, I’ve opened a can of worms about the possibility of adding a valve to enable the 2 front hydraulic jacks to make a fiver sit level side to side. I do agree the 2 front hydraulic jacks should not be used to mimic a Level Up system … it could stress the frame. What I was short sidedly relating to is a situation I have in my own driveway. The drive way is level side to side, but not front to back as it naturally slopes a bit toward the street. The left side of my fiver is heavier than the right due to a couple of slides adding weight. With the axles sitting near level, the heavier side always slightly lags the lighter side when I unhook from my truck. The heavier side always slightly leads the lighter side when I lower it down back on the truck … it is a bit annoying. The cylinder never drifts after any use. I deal in hydraulics by trade … I have tried bleeding any air in the system, but the end result is as described above. Any time two cylinders are tied together with no flow control or balancing valve … if one has a lighter load … it will move a bit faster … that’s the way things happen in hydraulics. Just to enable the capability to make the fiver sit level on near level ground I proposed adding the blocking valve … maybe I need to re-bleed my system yet again ………. I never had this issue with the old electric jacks on my previous fivers … if it was level coming off the truck … both electric jacks pushed it up the same side to side.

You can get by with a balancing hose between the two cylinders to adjust for the delta P without the use of a flow control valve or balancing valve. Excavators and wheel loaders use this all of the time when two cylinders are controlled from two different spool valves and lifting/lower the same load.

Question for you since you have been into the hydraulic system on your trailer; are there load checks at the cylinders or in the lines?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #22

Jim ... if you are talking about safety valves that halt a cylinder should a line burst like on a manlift ... they may be internal to the cylinders ... I don't see any at the fitting ports or inline.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Electric jacks are tied together mechanically. They will always move the same. Thus on uneven ground (side to side), you adjust the slide pin and or add blocking.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #24

Yeah I know the electric jack setup ... had em on my last 3 fivers. I was just reliving the electric days while jabbering about hydraulic front jacks and their pros and cons. They are faster and more powerful, but they have their down sides as taliked about in this post as well as the fact that they are not exactly a quality cylinder by any means.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I understand, I just wanted to make sure others who may be reading this thread and are not familiar with landing gears don't get confused.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic