Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Lippert Level Up System Issue

Took the CC out today and had a problem we have never had. Lifted off the truck first. Pulled the truck out the hit auto level. Front adjusted to what appears leveling front to back. Street side leveler middle went down about 3 inches and stopped. The curb side levelers both middle and back went all the way down then lifted. Front levelers adjusted then curb side adjusted and then sounded it was level. Check the screen and it was level side to side and front to back. I had to manually lower the street side levelers middle and back. Any ideas on why this happens? Tried several times with the same results. Does the system need a reset? Not an issue for this trip but will be putting it back in the storage building so wanted to see if there is something I should try.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Yea, that is very strange. The system usually puts down the jacks on the low side first, in your case curb side, but it started on the high side then stopped.

I have never had that happen and not sure if you recalibrate that that will fix it as it completed level even though one side was not touching the ground.

You said you tried it several times with the same result. Did you try turning the system completely off and back on? I also assume you started the whole process with the front higher than the back?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

Lippert Level Up System Issue

Yes actually turned off and back on at the panel and tried gain. We actually had to move due to a breaker supporting several sites was not holding yes this problem existed before we ever hooked up to shore power. So moving and unhitching again produced the same problem. Will call lippert in the morning to see they have any ideas.

Tom
Old 09-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #4

Try turning system off and removing the wiring connector from the back of the touch pad for 10 seconds, then plug it back in. You may have to manually level your fiver and store that back in the memory. Once leveled press front button 10 times then press rear button 10 times ... you should see zero point successful with in a few seconds.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

Odd. The system is supposed to do front/left/right/front. The left/right bit is supposed to stop when it senses movement or the unit is levelled side to side. It may be possible that the rear sensor thought there was movement or the controller figured the unit was levelled.

In any case, I agree that the system needs to be reset. To do that, you have to remove power to the leveling control for ten seconds. You can open the breaker that powers the system, pull the fuse that feeds the controller, or unplug the connector to the controller that has the red power wire.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Per the Lippert rep at the FROG Rally the first thing you should do before you put down legs and/or roll out slides is to plug in the electric. Then unhitch, next set the front of the coach lower than the back. Start the auto level process, you may even see the coach go into a kneeling position, then it brings the front up and lowers the other four legs. Once auto level is complete, roll out your slides. They want the coach to be level and supported so the slide openings are square and will not bind as the slide comes out. Also if you have a Schwintek slide, be sure to hold the button in till the motors have stopped running. Usually about 7 to 9 seconds, you will not burn out the motors by holding the button in, but will allow the motors to resync themselves, since the system counts the revolutions each motor makes.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

I guess the rep never boondocks ... there's noting to plug electric in to. I was always told to have the nose high before pressing auto level. I do agree about leveling before deploying the slides.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It doesn't matter nose high or low it will find level.

Shore power also has zilch to do with leveling unless the battery is low

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

Narborza is correct the leveling sequence is

Auto Level Sequence
1. Front landing gear retract, lowering the front of the unit below level, stopping, then lifting the front end to level the unit front to back. (Fig. 4A).
2. The left side leveling jack(s) extend and raise the roadside of the unit (Fig. 4B).
3. The right side leveling jack(s) extend and raise the curbside of the unit, beginning side to side leveling (Fig. 4C).
4. The front landing gears extend to complete the leveling cycle (Fig. 4A).

Step 2 will always raise the roadside even if it is high to begin. As long as there is 12.7 volts it should work, you do not need shore power. Lastly turning power off and on does not reset the controller, you must remove 12 volts from the controller. It is the plug with one single red wire.

I have found pulling the red wire plug fixes many weird problems. My battery disconnect switch does not remove power to my level up it would have been easy to reset

If you pull power you do not loose the "level setting"

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

Go to the App Store and get the myLCI app it has great information and diagrams on the level up system

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Per the Lippert rep at the FROG Rally the first thing you should do before you put down legs and/or roll out slides is to plug in the electric. Then unhitch, next set the front of the coach lower than the back.
This contradicts everything published by Lippert.

I have never plugged in before leveling.

Park the trailer, put down blocks, unlock trailer from hitch, deploy front legs and lift trailer off truck (puts the trailer in a nose high position), drive truck out and then hit auto level.

I unroll and test the power while the trailer is going through it's leveling process. It's always done long before I actually plug in. (Takes about 1 min to level and about 5 min to test electric.)
Old 10-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

I have a different problem my screen buttons work but I have no read out just a blank display anyone have this problem and how do I get the read out back? Thanks in advance, thought I try here before I call Lippert and they say buy a new controller for 260.00 bucks...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have a different problem my screen buttons work but I have no read out just a blank display anyone have this problem and how do I get the read out back? Thanks in advance, thought I try here before I call Lippert and they say buy a new controller for 260.00 bucks...
Had a similar issue. Called lippert support and they sent me a new at no charge. It was also out of warranty.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
Had a similar issue. Called lippert support and they sent me a new at no charge. It was also out of warranty.
Okay Thanks, I'll call in the AM and see what they say. It was weird I guess I was in the right mode, I raised the front to unhitch pulled away and just hit auto level and it did it normal thing then it beeped and the center green light came on then it shut off as normal. So the panel is working just a blank screen. Another weird story.... I'll post what happens, they told me they had a problem with the controllers but said I was lucky and got the new one when they installed it. Yea Right....I also unplugged the panel but still nothing on the screen after waiting 10 secs.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #15

Well I called Lippert today, had to get a display is what they told me, he asked what I did, I said I unplugged it waited 10 sec and still nothing then I pulled the fuse and waited then reinstalled still no display, so I had to buy a new display. If you look it up on line it say's the cost is 260.00 When I bought it direct they charged me 207.00. Either way I still would have to pay for shipping. we will see in a couple days if the LED displays comes back. It's like I told them all the buttons work but just don't know what mode it is in. I was lucky because it switches back to right mode when you raise the rams, so it worked to level but now you have to find retract to bring them up. PITA..and expensive..

Old 10-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well I called Lippert today, had to get a display is what they told me, he asked what I did, I said I unplugged it waited 10 sec and still nothing then I pulled the fuse and waited then reinstalled still no display, so I had to buy a new display. If you look it up on line it say's the cost is 260.00 When I bought it direct they charged me 207.00. Either way I still would have to pay for shipping. we will see in a couple days if the LED displays comes back. It's like I told them all the buttons work but just don't know what mode it is in. I was lucky because it switches back to right mode when you raise the rams, so it worked to level but now you have to find retract to bring them up. PITA..and expensive..
My controller looks like this. I can control everything without the display. When first powered up any button pushed will extend the ram selected. If you push the retract button in the bottom left corner any button will retract the ram selected. You just can't see for instance degree of level. This will get you set up or ready to leave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	123232  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #17

Yep that is the same one I have, I do understand what you are saying and thanks for taking the time to respond, that is what I did, I knew when the green light in the center was lite I knew I could go to auto level. I'm just upset that this controller did not last more then two years.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #18

TTanous - I just had the exact same thing happen. Did you get this resolved? I would love to learn from your experience. Thanks

btw - According to the Lippert documentation, Putting the nose low before pressing Autolevel is Wrong. It explicitly states to raise the nose above level before pressing Autolevel.
theczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #19

Theczar, I have not had any luck resolving. Removed power from the display also tried recalibration. Both produced the same issue. Now they want me to check the sensor behind the rear wheels which I believe will cause me to open the underbelly which I am unwilling to do because I don't think the sensor is loose when the right side works fine. Not impressed with their support at this time. I had not had a chance to troubleshoot more. Let me know what you try so I don't duplicate the effort.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
Took the CC out today and had a problem we have never had. Lifted off the truck first. Pulled the truck out the hit auto level. Front adjusted to what appears leveling front to back. Street side leveler middle went down about 3 inches and stopped. The curb side levelers both middle and back went all the way down then lifted. Front levelers adjusted then curb side adjusted and then sounded it was level. Check the screen and it was level side to side and front to back. I had to manually lower the street side levelers middle and back. Any ideas on why this happens? Tried several times with the same results. Does the system need a reset? Not an issue for this trip but will be putting it back in the storage building so wanted to see if there is something I should try.

Tom

Did you try leveling manually, then re-setting the zero calibration? If the auto level hasn't been properly calibrated to zero, then it will set to a false level until it's recalibrated......learned from having the same symptoms

Good luck!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote