Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Lippert Replaceing Axles & Hubs

We left East Tennessee in Jan for FL and warmer temps and meet up with friends, even got to meet up with Lou and Laura for a few days. While here I noticed something not right about one of my hub covers on the left side of RV, 2010 CC 36RE, I jacked it up and pulled the wheel off and found that the bearning was shot to heck. The unit has the SBS type axles and hubs with the duel sealed bearing. Not able to find a bearing to fit I called Lippert and was informed that my axles and hubs had been recalled and that replacement axles and hubs would be sent out. After given them all our information and finding a Camping World site in Cocoa who could and would change them out the new axles and hubs are on there way. They are coming to the campground and install one axles and then take RV to shop and replace other one and insure everthing is up and going before releaseing us to travel. The really bad thing about all this is we are going to miss the snow and cold and have to stay in nice sunny FL a few more days maybe weeks, lol.
P.S. I ask why I had not received any notice about the recall and was informed that because it was a trailer or towalbe RV they where not requaired to send out notices that it was up to the owner to keep up with them and check for recalls. After talking to some federal and state people via phone I have found that this is true.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

"I ask why I had not received any notice about the recall and was informed that because it was a trailer or towalbe RV they where not requaired to send out notices that it was up to the owner to keep up with them and check for recalls. After talking to some federal and state people via phone I have found that this is true."
-----------------------------------------------
Did Lippert tell you how to check for recalls?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

I had mine changed out last summer. Lippert sent me new axles and hubs. No recall notice was even mentioned! I had a shop swap over the axles and brakes since Lippert would not agree to send them 'loaded'. It was an involved procedure for the shop even tho they work on heavy trucks all the time. They must have put in 8 hours over a two day period on the exchange. You're fortunate you did this now at your convenience instead of somewhere at a time less desirable. Good luck.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
H2oski

Do you have anything in writing? Looking for year and serial number groups that are recalled.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Do you have anything in writing? Looking for year and serial number groups that are recalled.
If you call lippert they have to tell u .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

DOT Recall Website - Allows you to search for recalls.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

They sent me new 6k axles Hubs and Bearings for my Sabre, I didnt have a failure but while I was adjusting brakes I found one wheel that had too much play in it, after I pulled the cap pff I could see that the Nylock Halfnut had backed off 1/2 turn from the paint mark Good to go now, I did the Install myself
Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Just talked to a Lippert Service rep. she told me that Lippert does not now nor never has had any axle recalls and that people can write anything they want in forums. Another email from Lippert said I could buy one axle and receive one free.
purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #9

She must be misinformed. I had both axles replaced by Lippert at NO CHARGE with one phone call, May 2012, to 'Don' @ Lippert. (574) 537-8900. You can mention my reference #335617. Mike Kindel
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote