Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Location of GFI Receptacles

We own a 2019 CC Hathaway 36CK2.
There is a GFI in bathroom, we can't find one anywhere else. I would think somewhere in the kitchen area?
We looked, cant find any.

Thanks much!
acvp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Often there is only one, with all outlets downstream controlled by it. Push the test button on the one in the bathroom and then see which outlets are dead. I expect the ones in the kitchen go dead, but hopefully not the microwave or fridge.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

x2. several outlets can be wired to one gfi. totally normal.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #4

Just went through this a couple weeks ago with my 2018 Hathaway 36CK2 as well I talk to the factory and they said there is only one in the bathroom I was having problems with certain outlets not working come to find out The ones that are not marked with the white label are tied into circuit breaker’s which I did not have on for instance the fireplace and the TV are all tied into that breaker. They informed me that all the receptacles with white labels on them marked GFIC are all tied into that master GFI in the bathroom. The ones with no labels on them are tied to Breakers.
Polesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

we only have the GFI in the bathroom and it controls the kitchen plugs
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Thank you all very much! All with stickers on bathroom GYI, all others on a circuity breaker. Thanks again!
acvp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Don’t forget the ones in the kitchen area with white stickers on them are also tied to the bathroom GFI also.
Polesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

Outside, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek6669 View Post
we only have the GFI in the bathroom and it controls the kitchen plugs
Usually there's at least one outlet on the outside of the trailer that's also tied to the bathroom GFI outlet.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Both brand new RV's (a TT and a 5'ver) that I've purchased in the last six years had one GFI outlet in the bathroom.

In the TT (which I no longer have, the GFI controlled the kitchen and living area of the 28-foot trailer.

In my current 5'ver, the bathroom GFI controls the bathroom, the entire kitchen, the credenza and the entertainment center, which basically is the entire slide-out on the door side.

Not sure about the outside outlet as every time it has kicked I was inside and wasn't using the outside outlet, but it is right next to the outside steps and off-door side basement door.

Anyway, all it takes is to have the hot water heater on and individually run the coffee maker, microwave, toaster, George Foreman Electric Grill, hair dryer or the AC unit to make it kick off.

Or two of each without the electric water heater or AC running at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NMHOC2018Prowler-P5012053.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	681.7 KB
ID:	189100  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

Just yesterday we discovered that some MH have 2 GFI's in the bathroom. GFI's protect ANY outlet within 6' of water. Inside, outside and storage areas, microwaves also. As many as 6 on each outlet or breaker. Some units have a combination of GFI outlets AND GFI breakers.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I have an island in my fiver that contains the kitchen sink, and that non-GFI outlet (can see it in first photo below) is controlled by the bathroom GFI.

Interesting...

I usually know when the GFI has kicked off when the TV turns itself off (second photo-have bigger TV in there now and the couch is gone)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerLivingroomFromStairs-P5160705.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	866.6 KB
ID:	189102   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerEntCenter-P1000301.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	672.8 KB
ID:	189104  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I have an island in my fiver that contains the kitchen sink, and that non-GFI outlet (can see it in first photo below) is controlled by the bathroom GFI.

Interesting...

I usually know when the GFI has kicked off when the TV turns itself off (second photo-have bigger TV in there now and the couch is gone)...
TV is on a GFI because it is within 6' of the sink.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #13

Unexpected

Quote:
Both brand new RV's (a TT and a 5'ver) that I've purchased in the last six years had one GFI outlet in the bathroom.

In the TT (which I no longer have, the GFI controlled the kitchen and living area of the 28-foot trailer.

In my current 5'ver, the bathroom GFI controls the bathroom, the entire kitchen, the credenza and the entertainment center, which basically is the entire slide-out on the door side.

Not sure about the outside outlet as every time it has kicked I was inside and wasn't using the outside outlet, but it is right next to the outside steps and off-door side basement door.

Anyway, all it takes is to have the hot water heater on and individually run the coffee maker, microwave, toaster, George Foreman Electric Grill, hair dryer or the AC unit to make it kick off.

Or two of each without the electric water heater or AC running at the same time.
I would not expect a GFI to trip just because of heavy current draw. I suppose it might be due to a wiring error, but I'd be tempted to replace the GFI outlet first. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:

AC and WH will have no effect on a GFI. They are not connected. GFI breaker will trip on AMPS overload. GFI outlet will not. Both will trip on 5 Miliamp leakage.

Tags
cat, location