Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Looking at 33IK

My wife and I are looking at a 2015 33IK. We currently have a Rockwood 2604WS and have enjoyed the trailer. Have pulled the 2604 from Florida to PEI, Canada with an F-150, no problems.

We are looking to upgrade to a larger unit and TV, a F-250 diesel. Looking for other 33IK owners experience with the unit. We have had out 2604 for a couple of years so we are aware of some of the problems with the trailer industry and are prepared for things that need to be fixed which I am handy at. Really looking for design issues with layout or major problems that I should be aware of. For instance, can I open fridge with slides in? Looks like it but I did not put slide in on unit I looked at.

How about the hydraulics? Any major issues? Any input will be appreciated..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

only problem ive had with mine was that the vent tube on the fresh water tank was kinked and the first time i fully filled the tank it started lifting the floor of the trailer under the island. quickly drained the tank dropped the belly pan under the tank and found the kink and straightened the hose out and no problems since. the floor went right back to flat.

we have the large side by side rv fridge when the slides are in you cant open the left door of the fridge.

on the hydraulics you may get some popping from the level up system. lipert has a fix for this of removing 1 qt of fluid from the reservoir then adding a qt of stiction additive and cycling the system a few times.

other then that have been loving our 33ik
Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #3

Have a 2016 33IK, so far so good. Only had a couple of months though, hydraulics seem to work fine. The level up system is great especially setting up in this Texas heat. First 5ver but pulls extremely well, very well behaved behind my TV. Pulling with SRW 1 ton Cummings. Don't hesitate pull the trigger you won't be disappointed.
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. We go tomorrow to finalize the deal. Wish us luck...

Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

I have a 2016 33IK ... My PDI list of quality issues was soooo long I didn't accept the unit till weeks later when most of the stuff was fixed. You might want to put some heavy duty velcro under the cushions on the rear couch ... mine always worked forward and got caught when the curbside slide went out. If your fridge is to the right of the stove, you can get to it with slides in ... if it's to the left you can't. I've had 3 of the overhead LED lights with the on/off push buttons either burn up the wiring going to the light itself causing a short or the circuit board in the base drop down allowing the LED's themselves to melt the lenses. The circuit board on these lights get darned hot and I think there should be a recall on them. LED's are supposed to run cool! I had a cracked fresh water tank within a month and a failed grey water dump valve soon to follow. Trim blows off just driving down the road. Staples sticking thru the seal on the fascia of the curbside slide that dig into the panneling on the interior wall. Look it over really well .......... build quality is sad.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Jeffco, MO

We've put 2000 miles and 15 days with our 33IK. Dealer was great, We traded in a 2013 Wildcat. We only had a couple of items that were fixed in less than an hour after our PDI. They readjusted the theater seating chairs (hard to get to recline), fixed a sticking screen door Later we found a kink in the kitchen sink hose that gave us low water pressure. They readjusted the weight on the feeder hose to eliminate the kink.
Features we like: Large shower with seat for DW. Theater seats looking straight across for TV and entertainment center. 11 cu ft refrigerator. Can get to the frig and bathroom without openning the slides. 6 point levelup system works great (hydraulic system). We also like the beige outside gel coat instead of our previous white. Include a TrailAire hitch which does a good job on the concrete slab roads. Tows great, about the same as our previous Wildcat which was about 2000# lighter.
Hope you enjoy yours. We did order ours to get the options/features we liked and received it in about 10 weeks this early spring.

One last tip. Be sure to use the locking knob and screw for the doors on the 11 cu ft frig or you might have a little clean up.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
We've put 2000 miles and 15 days with our 33IK. Dealer was great, We traded in a 2013 Wildcat. We only had a couple of items that were fixed in less than an hour after our PDI. They readjusted the theater seating chairs (hard to get to recline), fixed a sticking screen door Later we found a kink in the kitchen sink hose that gave us low water pressure. They readjusted the weight on the feeder hose to eliminate the kink.
Features we like: Large shower with seat for DW. Theater seats looking straight across for TV and entertainment center. 11 cu ft refrigerator. Can get to the frig and bathroom without openning the slides. 6 point levelup system works great (hydraulic system). We also like the beige outside gel coat instead of our previous white. Include a TrailAire hitch which does a good job on the concrete slab roads. Tows great, about the same as our previous Wildcat which was about 2000# lighter.
Hope you enjoy yours. We did order ours to get the options/features we liked and received it in about 10 weeks this early spring.

One last tip. Be sure to use the locking knob and screw for the doors on the 11 cu ft frig or you might have a little clean up.
We finalized the deal on ours today. I saw that knob laying on the stove and wondered what it was for. I had just asked DW why they did not have any locking mechanism on the fridge..lol. Now I know there is one.
We pulled the slides in and were able to get to fridge no problem. Bathroom and fridge most important when traveling. Fast food joints just get passed by...

Do you have issues with your cushions as the previous poster? I can see where they might pop off especially being at the very rear of the unit. Thanks for the input..

Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I have a 2016 33IK ... My PDI list of quality issues was soooo long I didn't accept the unit till weeks later when most of the stuff was fixed. You might want to put some heavy duty velcro under the cushions on the rear couch ... mine always worked forward and got caught when the curbside slide went out. If your fridge is to the right of the stove, you can get to it with slides in ... if it's to the left you can't. I've had 3 of the overhead LED lights with the on/off push buttons either burn up the wiring going to the light itself causing a short or the circuit board in the base drop down allowing the LED's themselves to melt the lenses. The circuit board on these lights get darned hot and I think there should be a recall on them. LED's are supposed to run cool! I had a cracked fresh water tank within a month and a failed grey water dump valve soon to follow. Trim blows off just driving down the road. Staples sticking thru the seal on the fascia of the curbside slide that dig into the panneling on the interior wall. Look it over really well .......... build quality is sad.
Thanks for the input. We will pay close attention during PDI. We bought ours today but won't be picking up for a week or so.

I'm sorry to hear you have had so many problems and seem to be really unhappy with your purchase. I kinda look at these RV purchases like I look at life. You happiness depends on how well you handle plan B...lol.

I expect issues and hopefully I won't have major ones but I have owned big boats before I got into RV's so maybe I'm a little immune... Thx..

Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

Yeah, I think I got the lemon of lemons. I was a 3 time Montana owner and decided to switch brands. Cedar Creek Warranty Division and I are on a first name basis and has been taking care of each issue. My choice to switch brands has resulted in extreme disappointment, but the switch was done and as you say ... make the best of it. I do like the layout and features as mentioned by Ted ... if I can just take her out once without something else failing or burning up, maybe ther will be light at the end of the tunnel
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

You will be disappointed towing with a 2500 series truck. Get a 3500 series instead.
At over 14000 GVWR your pin weight will overload any 2500 and a lot of 3500 STW trucks.
Cedar Creeks can be very pin heavy, so expect a real world pin over 3000 pounds.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
You will be disappointed towing with a 2500 series truck. Get a 3500 series instead.
At over 14000 GVWR your pin weight will overload any 2500 and a lot of 3500 STW trucks.
Cedar Creeks can be very pin heavy, so expect a real world pin over 3000 pounds.
Why? I tow my CC34RL with a 2008 MEGA CAB RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins 68RFE auto, 4X4 with 3:73 gears. The EGT's are between 850 to 1100F, Boost pressure is around 10 PSI and the transmission temps stay under 180F when towing. I have had this out several times with no issues and plan on a trip to UT,AZ and NM this fall. I have towed the camper mainly in the Chicago/Gary-Hammond area this summer which as everyone knows can be very stressful with a lot of stop and go traffic.

I did do a few things to address the king pin weight before towing and that is mainly install Nitto Dural Grappler LT285/70R 17 126R 10 PLY tires; these have weight rating of 3750 LBS each at 80 PSI. The tires are run at 50 PSI front and 70 PSI rear when towing; normal day to day driving the rear are run at 50 PSI. I also changed my air bag pressure to 70 PSI to level truck with the CC 34RL attached. I have weighed this on a Cat scale and the rear axle is 6100 LBS, front was 4700 LBS and the trailer was 10,500 LBS.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why? I tow my CC34RL with a 2008 MEGA CAB RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins 68RFE auto, 4X4 with 3:73 gears. The EGT's are between 850 to 1100F, Boost pressure is around 10 PSI and the transmission temps stay under 180F when towing. I have had this out several times with no issues and plan on a trip to UT,AZ and NM this fall. I have towed the camper mainly in the Chicago/Gary-Hammond area this summer which as everyone knows can be very stressful with a lot of stop and go traffic.

I did do a few things to address the king pin weight before towing and that is mainly install Nitto Dural Grappler LT285/70R 17 126R 10 PLY tires; these have weight rating of 3750 LBS each at 80 PSI. The tires are run at 50 PSI front and 70 PSI rear when towing; normal day to day driving the rear are run at 50 PSI. I also changed my air bag pressure to 70 PSI to level truck with the CC 34RL attached. I have weighed this on a Cat scale and the rear axle is 6100 LBS, front was 4700 LBS and the trailer was 10,500 LBS.
BT,DT got the t shirt to prove it! Towed my 34CKTS for three years with a 2500HD. Pulling was no problem. 1500 pounds over the GVWR was! Once you load family and stuff on board and drive across the scales you will have your answer. No matter what add ons or modifications you have done, one thing you cannot alter. That is the MFG GVWR sticker on the drivers door post.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

I've owned several fivers and am a recreational RV'er not a long timer or full timer. I've never come close to the maximum loaded weight of any of them. You need to analize your usage or just go to the scales and weigh. Belting out you're going to be way heavy doesn't cover everyone. BT DT as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

Always a big concern on weight. I will be taking the F-250 to the scales on the way to pick up the trailer before any added hitch or trailer and then weight on my way home. The 5th won't be loaded but I will know where I stand on cargo capacity.

It is just me and my DW. No pets, no kids and we don't tend to take a bunch of extras but I have to laugh about that as I can't believe the amount of junk I took out of my old unit.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how that comes out.

Thank you everyone for the info...

Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I've owned several fivers and am a recreational RV'er not a long timer or full timer. I've never come close to the maximum loaded weight of any of them. You need to analize your usage or just go to the scales and weigh. Belting out you're going to be way heavy doesn't cover everyone. BT DT as well.
DG, what do you tow with?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

dalford ... I'm a farm kid and use a F350. When we RV ... I use the same.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
BT,DT got the t shirt to prove it! Towed my 34CKTS for three years with a 2500HD. Pulling was no problem. 1500 pounds over the GVWR was! Once you load family and stuff on board and drive across the scales you will have your answer. No matter what add ons or modifications you have done, one thing you cannot alter. That is the MFG GVWR sticker on the drivers door post.
And your point is!

I know how these are figured and have been involved in providing these stickers on off-highway vehicles.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #18

Same problem as elrand.
Wire tie around fresh water vent tube .Tank blew up like a balloon.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #19

I have weighed my 36CKTS with 2011 F250. Trailer empty had 300 lbs to spare on Rear truck axle. When loaded I was 800 lbs over.

Rick & Cindy
2015 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 Ford F-350 DRW
2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #20

Currently pull our 33IK with F250 with air bags. No problems at all. Loaded my truck sits level with only 5 psi in the air bags. I add 40 more psi to smooth out the ride. When weighed was a little over on cargo capacity but not on axle.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote