Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

The new Silverado is long bed only and crew cab, so for me it's to long and I'll walk before I drive a ford. I may try a dodge one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #22

Join the HDT crowd and get a big truck with a Smart on the back and tow what ever 5th wheel you want. Some say we are crazy or over kill but with patience & time you can find one ready to go and cheaper then a new pick up. It took me about a year before I found mine, Check out Escapees forums under the HDT threads for plenty of info. Plus never a hard time parking the Smart.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Plus never a hard time parking the Smart.
I better get a bike trailer so I can pull my kids behind it.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I better get a bike trailer so I can pull my kids behind it.
I hear you there, we had to wait till the kids don't want to go anymore, now they just ask to borrow the truck & camper
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #25

Dually You will never have to upgrade your TV.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #26

go with hutch can't go wrong with a drw
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Chicken.

MANY drive thrus are doable.

Even many parking garages are, as well.
No, Burgers.......not chicken....
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #28

Upgrade truck

Please a have a look at the Lemon Aid book by Phil Edmonston. He's been a Canadian consumer advocate for vehicles for years and his books are totally unbiased as he doesn't accept any advertising.

He says it like it is and gives you the hidden warranties and service bulletins that the car manufacturers won't tell you about.

I first bought his book when I had problems with my brand new Olds Calais and everything that was wrong with it, was in his book.

It's been my vehicle buying guide since and it's never steered me wrong. Some people have told me that $35 for a book is expensive with everything that you can find on line for free, but really....when you think of the investment your going to make ($50k or $60+) for a vehicle, $35 is a drop in the bucket.

I told myself I would never buy a GM again, but I just bought a 2015 Silverado HD LTZ and I love it so far and that's the one that was recommended in the Lemon Aid book.

Like he said, there is no perfect vehicle out there, but his book can help you make an informed decision.

Happy shopping!
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Sorry to say length is part of the equation. Dulley is longer. It comes with a 8ft box compared to the 6'6 ft box. This is for Chevy don't know about other brands. If you get the extended cab it's a tad bit shorter. I've owned both . Try going to Charleston SC park a dulley on the street and your sticking out in traffic. Lot of Historic type towns can not handle these large vehicles and you park a long ways away from the action. Later RJD
Most of Durango Co wont let you park the larger trucks on the street
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #30

I've had a Ford 7.3 diesel Dually Crew cab, then two different Dodge Cummins Dually Extended Cabs, and now a 2007 GMC 2500HD Short (Std) bed CrewCab Duramax. All 4x4s. We pull 5th wheels. After fighting maneuvering, parking and car wash problems with the dually, we decided to go with the smaller vehicle and have been VERY pleased with that decision. Key factor is how much pin weight you have to carry. We are able to carry a 50 gal auxiliary fuel tank (full) plus our Montana 2955 with all tanks filled and are still within 50# of the rear axle rating. Call that close enough. I would never go back to a dually. Only improvement I would make if I purchased a new truck is to go to a SRW 1 ton to get another 1000# bed capacity.
Note that all were 4x4's which I greatly recommend, regardless of whether dually or not. I've been trapped at least twice on RR tracks, truck on one side, 5r on other with gravel under the rear wheels and no traction. Push a button and 4x4 solves the problem.
Good luck with your decision.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #31

Question for DRW owners. Is the rear tire life any better with duals? What about gas mileage difference? My SRW Silverado Duramax is all I need for now, but never know if I'm going with a bigger TT. I've been known to change my mind before....
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Question for DRW owners. Is the rear tire life any better with duals? What about gas mileage difference? My SRW Silverado Duramax is all I need for now, but never know if I'm going with a bigger TT. I've been known to change my mind before....
Too soon to know for sure, but compared to my old f250, the tires aren't wearing at all. My sabre ate the tires off the rear of that truck in 15000 miles and they were E rated Firestone's.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #33

I have owned 2 3500 Chevys drw duramax's and went to a 3500 duramax srw. I have not seen any difference and like the narrower rear end. The srw is just as stable a platform as the drw from my experience. Pulling a CC 38rd 42 feet with no problems.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #34

Went from a F350 SRW 6.0 to a GMC 3500 DRW 6.6 and wow what a difference in handling. Yes it maybe a couple feet longer and wider but I have yet to not find a place to park him. Will never go back to a SRW.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
Went from a F350 SRW 6.0 to a GMC 3500 DRW 6.6 and wow what a difference in handling. Yes it maybe a couple feet longer and wider but I have yet to not find a place to park him. Will never go back to a SRW.
Think it's really fair to compare the ford to a GMC? I mean, come on. . Love my GMC 3500 drw!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #36

A DRW gives you more stability but a lower towing capacity. Unhooked it is a limiting factor in the city.

The primary difference between the 3/4 and 1 tons is the rear suspension. I know the Ford 250 and 350 are largely identical. Ask most truck owners what is best and they will tell you it is what they are driving. That is a good thing since it means they are satisfied.

I have a 3/4 ton Ford 250 Diesel SRWand love it. Lots of power for my Silverback 31 RK. 100k power train warranty. Happy camper.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #37

I love my dually. My trailer doesn't really require it, but I'd rather have plenty of capacity rather than run tires close to max. I was back and forth before I ordered the truck, and once I priced both out the SRW and dually, the dually cost about $1,000 less. Same options, more capacity and less money was a no brainer. The Ford SRWs sit so high in the back also and that was a consideration too. I have my Reese Elite set to the factory position, and the trailer pin box in the factory position, have 8-9 inches bed clearance and the trailer rides level. I've seen the trailer come close enough to the bedrails as it is. I also use the bed of the truck and climb in and out quite a bit so 4" lower is great.

Would a SRW truck do the job? Yes. Would it be easier to park? Doubtful, as Ependydad pointed out it's not the width, it's the length that gets you. My truck is every bit of 24' long. But so is a CCLB SRW. Width is a factor but it's very minor. One big thing to learn if you don't already know is never, ever, pull into a parking spot, that's how you get stuck with these monsters. Some campgrounds it sure would be nice to have a short truck to get the trailer in and out, but out on the road, I'll keep my LWB.

As an aside, there is no new option for a shortbed dually, aside from a megacab Ram, but given the cab size I don't know that the truck is really any shorter overall than CCLB. GM hasn't built one since the late 90's, and Ford's short run of them ended in 2010.

I'd buy the dually.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just bought my F 250 SRW with a Supercab. Wanted a short truck for daily driver. This is the same length as the F 150 i traded but the wheelbase is 3 inches shorter. I have plenty of capacity for future upgraded. There are 2 of us, a little dog. We don't need the crew or the loss of CCC it brings, a 6 3/4 ft box, 4 wheel drive definitely as well, never owned a trucks without it. I have the stability, unrivalled power stroke torque and horsepower and exhaust brake.
Enough truck for what we need for a trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #39

I went from a 2010 Dodge short box swr to a 2015 Silverado dually. all I can say is WOW! This the real deal. Wish I had listened to my friend sooner. Go dually you won't be sorry.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #40

B and B

Precisely! Exactly WHY so many build variations.

As previously posted, each personal towing adjustable weight is individually selected when loading.
Adjustable meaning what I choose to carry in my truck bed ( a 40 pound bicycle ) minus a 60 pound plus tail gate ( I use an 8 pound metal mesh gate which locks in ) and then low tank levels in the RV and weight distributed accordingly.

Towed x USA AND BACK, up hills, down hills, heavy storms in Amarillo,
dust storms with low visibility, etc.
NEVER once any RV or truck concerns except weather. I travel at 62 mph on all major highways and it is sooooo relaxing and enjoyable travel. 🏁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck