Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #1

Loose roof

I was on my roof today inspecting and lubricating the antenna when I noticed at one of the plywood roof seams below the rubber roof material there was a small amount of flex. I could push down on the rubber roof material at the seam where the 2 sections of plywood meet about 1/8 of an inch before the plywood made contact with the roof truss below. This was in the center of the roof behind the kitchen Fantastic Fan.

Is it normal to have to have a small amount of play in the plywood or should it be solidly and completely secured to all roof trusses from front to back?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The plywood should be secure. Sometimes a bubble or wrinkle in the membrane may appear along a seam but the plywood should be nailed down to the roof truss.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The plywood should be secure. Sometimes a bubble or wrinkle in the membrane may appear along a seam but the plywood should be nailed down to the roof truss.
That's what I would expect... The plywood should be firmly secure with no flex.

Anyone else experiencing this with their Cedar Creeks?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I haven't fealt any plywood moving, but I did question CC about why the roof material wrinkles at a lot of the plywood seams. They say, it's how they put their roof's on and it's normal. I accept that, but it looks like crap and I don't like it. Every rubber roof I've had before was smooth with no bubbles or wrinkles, no matter what time of year it was. This one wrinkles at the seams. A lot depends on the temp and time of year though, cause it was not like that when I bought it.

As for a fix for yours, hard to say what they would do, or what you should do. It should be secure with no movement. I had one before, still under warranty where 3 screws were coming up through the membrane. I didn't want to go through all the hassle of somebody removing the roof to fix 3 screws, as sometimes fixing a small problem can create others, and all might not go back together and look as good as it did before. On ours, I just cut a tiny hole big enough to get the bit in and remove the screws. I then coated them with construction adhesive and resecured them. Then, put small eternabond squares over the holes and some dicor 501. Never had another problem with it. I know this isn't the same problem you have, but just an idea of how to secure the plywood without removing half the roof. Have you contacted CC to see what ideas they might have?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I haven't fealt any plywood moving, but I did question CC about why the roof material wrinkles at a lot of the plywood seams. They say, it's how they put their roof's on and it's normal. I accept that, but it looks like crap and I don't like it. Every rubber roof I've had before was smooth with no bubbles or wrinkles, no matter what time of year it was. This one wrinkles at the seams. A lot depends on the temp and time of year though, cause it was not like that when I bought it.

As for a fix for yours, hard to say what they would do, or what you should do. It should be secure with no movement. I had one before, still under warranty where 3 screws were coming up through the membrane. I didn't want to go through all the hassle of somebody removing the roof to fix 3 screws, as sometimes fixing a small problem can create others, and all might not go back together and look as good as it did before. On ours, I just cut a tiny hole big enough to get the bit in and remove the screws. I then coated them with construction adhesive and resecured them. Then, put small eternabond squares over the holes and some dicor 501. Never had another problem with it. I know this isn't the same problem you have, but just an idea of how to secure the plywood without removing half the roof. Have you contacted CC to see what ideas they might have?
We have been traveling and have finally had a chance to get our rig back to the dealer. They examined the roof and are contacting CC warranty for their recommendation. As you said... a fix may be more problematic than the current condition. If it doesn't get any worse it may best to leave it alone. At least now I have it documented with the dealer and the factory while still under warranty.

Tags
roo, roof