Old 01-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

I guess I'm used to my old SOB's (Montana's) they had a backflow preventer in one line right off the W/H. You would not drain the W/H via low points faucet open or not on them.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #12

Low Point Drains

Exactly what do the low point drains do. Is this all you have to drain to winterize your RV or do you still need to pump RV antifreeze or blowout the system? I know you have to put antifreeze in the P traps

Old 01-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #13

I still have antifreeze in my low point drains since I bought it new 2011 never drain them. I don't know what you guys talking about with the wh and lp drains
But when i drain the heater I take a wet vac and I stick a small flex hose on the end and suck out the crud then leave it open. It explain to me what there propose are for
2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.beck.7737 View Post
Exactly what do the low point drains do. Is this all you have to drain to winterize your RV or do you still need to pump RV antifreeze or blowout the system? I know you have to put antifreeze in the P traps
The lowpoint drains are literally the lowest point in your RV's plumbing system. Once you drain your WH, you should be able to get any remaining water out by opening them up.

As far as winterizing with AF, you'll get mixed opinions on that. Most everyone blows out their lines with air. Some *only* add to traps and toilets. Others pump AF throughout. It's really your personal preference.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I still have antifreeze in my low point drains since I bought it new 2011 never drain them. I don't know what you guys talking about with the wh and lp drains
But when i drain the heater I take a wet vac and I stick a small flex hose on the end and suck out the crud then leave it open. It explain to me what there propose are for
If you don't have to winterize and you don't need to drain the water lines then this is not a problem. If you have been using the water in your trailer, you no longer have antifreeze in the lines. The low point (lp) drains are just what was said, the lowest point of the water lines and the easiest way to drain the water out of the lines. If you don't drain the water heater or isolate the water heater before you open the lp drains, it will draw the water out of water tank (and any sediment).
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #16

Make sure your rig is level or the low points are indeed the lowest to empty properly. By pass the hot water heater BEFORE adding antifreeze or you will use an unnecessary 6-10 gallons more.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #17

If you've ever pulled panels in your storage compartment or been inside the underbelly above the astrofoil and batt insulation, you'll find there's just too many jogs and didos in your plumbing to depend on the low point drains to dependably winterize your unit. They are not the absolute lowest point in the entire plumbing run. Yes they drain most of the water, but always go ahead and blow out your lines or add "pink stuff" as it's just the smart thing to do.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #18

Ok what I meant was if I opened the low point drains would that also drain the water heater...I was not thinking of the crud in the tank so won't be relying on that. I concur with Dieselguy, there are way too many dipsy doos in the plumbing to rely on the low point drains to get all the water out...would take just one dip in the line to have a big leak in the spring... Now here in Texas would that happen?? I don't know but don't want to find out. So I at least blow out with air. and will remove the plug in the water heater for sure....Thanks
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Site Team

Yes, it could happen in Texas. I lost a toilet valve in an older trailer because I failed to hold it open when we were blowing out our lines. The trailer was 60 miles north of Dallas.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

Yes, but you are in the Tundra area of Texas......lol lol lol

My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain