Old 11-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #1

Low Point Drains

The low point drains on my 2014 cedar creek are hanging under the underbelly of the RV. How do I keep these from freezing when camping in below freezing temps?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
The low point drains on my 2014 cedar creek are hanging under the underbelly of the RV. How do I keep these from freezing when camping in below freezing temps?
mine froze and leaked, after that I installed two valves in the basement to stop the water from entering them, other then that wrap them with insulation is only thing you can do it's the weak point of the whole system.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #3

You keep water in your system in sub freezing temps? If not, just leave the caps off. We use our camper year round, but in extreme cold we fill the entire system with antifreeze and only use the water system to flush the toilet. Still leave tank heaters on all winter as well.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

The only exposed part of those low point drains are after the shutoff valves and that part of the lines should be empty. The valves themselves are in the side storage compartment which gets some heat from the furnace. Iíve camped in freezing temps without issue. Be sure to use your furnace in freezing temps.

Be sure to fill your fresh water holding tank and then disconnect your water hose from the trailer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

I wrap mine in the winter with some of the heat wrap insulation...about $5 dollars a roll, enough in the roll to do entire rig....or like the rest leave valve open.......Usually I don't put antifreeze, just blow out lines with air, leave valves open when not in use....just depends on how much we are using and how long it will set.....since I will be out of town for a while, it gets antifreeze this week...

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The only exposed part of those low point drains are after the shutoff valves and that part of the lines should be empty. The valves themselves are in the side storage compartment which gets some heat from the furnace. Iíve camped in freezing temps without issue. Be sure to use your furnace in freezing temps.

Be sure to fill your fresh water holding tank and then disconnect your water hose from the trailer.
That's what I do now, I got caught in the freak freeze in Florida of all things in Pensacola. After mine froze and leaked I moved the shut off's inside the basement. We had no problem with the heated tanks and heat vent in the basement just never thought about the drains until it was leaking at the 90 degree which expanded and water going in my belly, you could see ice forming at all the inspection area's where the water was dripping out. Plus the caps on both drains.The base came around and told everyone to let there faucets drip all night so there water lines wouldn't freeze..... Buy the way have a good trip.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know where the low point drain shut off valves are on a 2014 Cedar Creek 32RL? We used our old RV year round occasionally in temps below zero and had running water in it full-time without issue. The low point drains on the old RV had valves inside the storage compartment. I cannot find shut off valves on the CC low point drains - only drain plugs that are on the end of the water pipes hanging under the RV. Sure wish I could find the low point drain shut off valves.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

I can tell you the 38FL only has caps - no shut off valves on the low point drains.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

On my Silverback the valves are behind a sliding false wall in the passenger side of the side storage compartment. Here are a couple of pics. The first one with the slide closed, notice the finger hole. The second pic is with it open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2282.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	65710

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2283.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	65711

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL