Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

LP Propane Shock

I went to fill up a 30lb tank and I think I had just filled one up last week and the price had went from $20 to $25 in just one week, it was almost $20 to fill a 20lb tank. It is cold in North Carolina and I guess the propane people look for a way to make more money off me, I have 100gl tank that I could fill up and hook to camper but I sure hate to think what that would cost. The amn told me the price per tank would go up again, the price he has to pay just went up 80 cent a gallon today. Diesel costs more and now LP has gone up, I am retired but my pay does not go up, I can't take anything with me when I go so I may as well have some fun before all my money is gone and I can get no more credit

Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

welcome to America, don't look for this price to come back down.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

I actually just read an article about it.

My Dad drives tractor-trailer and has been hauling propane exclusively for the last 25 years. He normally stays within the PA, NJ, MD, DE area however about a month ago he was asked to help out in Northern California. He did, about a week ago Ohio declared an emergency for propane shortage and he was routed there. He's been running Kansas-Ohio for about a week now.

The fuel is so short, they are transporting it from that far away. They also can't get enough qualified drivers to transport it.

I am sure the supply will eventually catch up but, it will be interesting to see how these prices go.

I have two full tanks on the trailer now which will last us all season. I have a 500 gallon tank at the house to heat the house and we locked in this year at $1.73 a gallon. I'm glad we locked in and paid a little extra to do so earlier in the season.

US propane shortage affects millions in freeze
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Yeah just called for a fill at my house today and was informed about the shortage and they are rationing supplies. Can only get a partial fill. About fell out of my seat when I got the price, considering how cheap it was in aug from my last fill. Errrrr
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
NELA

We're on natural gas here at home, with a fireplace to supplement it, plus we use an oil filled portable radiator type heater in the bedroom at night.

In our last RV we had a fireplace and seldom used the furnace. The same is true of our new 5er. With temps in the 20s for several days, and only a small ceramic heater sitting on the island counter top, the 5er is maintaining at least 56 degrees. (it's buttoned up, all slides in, and on shore power...winterized)

Dad has always used propane at his home, until several years ago when the new law came in to play, where they charge you $25.00 to "inspect" your tank on a regulated schedule. He refused to pay that (eye roll) and started using the EdenPure heaters since Mom hated the fireplace. Mom passed away in 2005 and this year he bit the bullet and went back to butane. He filled his *huge* tank back in the fall, so hopefully that'll carry him through this winter.

He'll pinch a nickel 'til the buffalo bellows, so he'll pitch a fit if the prices jump and he has to get his tank filled again.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I have 2-500 gal. tanks on our property. One for the house and the other for our dog boarding kennel. I just got a delivery today. I pre-bought $2,030 worth on December 10th (1,001 gal.) and with today's delivery I now have nothing left.

They only wanted to fill me to 60% in each tank but I ask the driver how could they limit me to a set amount since I own what they were delivering. He gave me my remaining gallons but ask that if anyone called he only filled my tanks to 60%.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
B47

Nothing new- it's called Supply and Demand. The national news reported on this tonight. People in the Northeast are using space heaters and other types of heaters to stay warm instead of propane.

I guess now the price of electricity will go up along with blackouts caused by excessive use and demand.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Nothing new- it's called Supply and Demand. The national news reported on this tonight. People in the Northeast are using space heaters and other types of heaters to stay warm instead of propane.

I guess now the price of electricity will go up along with blackouts caused by excessive use and demand.

meh, I call it price gouging.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
meh, I call it price gouging.
Yeah - that too. I guess we will have to wait until this cold snap goes away and see if the price goes back to previous levels,stays where it is now or goes up further.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #10

Proof that energy companies lie...

Just a short while ago we were being bombarded on the TV by messages from the energy companies that natural gas was to be cheaper and more plentiful than ever, thanks to the new technical drilling wonder called "fracking" REMEMBER?....their shills touted an almost unlimited supply of gas, right here in America, to be cheaply unlocked from huge underground shale formations...environmentally safe as well!! Of course they always knew full well that they intended to sell much of that gas overseas for huge profits, and then abandon people and aquifers when their drilling operations resulted in poisonous leak after leak after leak after leak... pay up or freeze.

Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane