Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Many times the lawyers decide that if you change type tires the dealer may get sued. I provided expert info in a fatality case where the tire dealer was sued after the driver lost control (was not wearing seat belt) and managed to kill himself. The claim was the tire size had been changed.
It was established the tire size change didn't cause the accident but since it is many times less expensive to settle than to fight a case where emotion seems more important than facts, the insurance co settled but of course jacked the rates for the tire store.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #42

I would contact the tire manufacturer you intend to use. I would try to furnish all the specs you can...seek their advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Many times the lawyers decide that if you change type tires the dealer may get sued. I provided expert info in a fatality case where the tire dealer was sued after the driver lost control (was not wearing seat belt) and managed to kill himself. The claim was the tire size had been changed.
It was established the tire size change didn't cause the accident but since it is many times less expensive to settle than to fight a case where emotion seems more important than facts, the insurance co settled but of course jacked the rates for the tire store.

The tires I was talking about came on a brand new camper. If I would have kept the 30RL I would have put new rims and tires on the camper. But I got a brand new 32RL C/C and the tires came on the camper. But you can get sued for just about anything and I guess an overloaded camper for the truck but who could weigh all that stuff. Tires might make the list too but who would know

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would contact the tire manufacturer you intend to use. I would try to furnish all the specs you can...seek their advise.

Tire companies would ask for the load on the tire and suggest a minimum inflation based on the actual scale weight. The Load/Inflation info is available on line from a number of sources but only you can provide the actual tire load on each tire.
You need to know which tire is carrying the most load on each axle and from the data I have seen less than 5% of RVs have a 50/50 side to side weight split with some being 40/60 or worse.

I have numerous posts on my blog on how to learn the individual tire loading and why it is important.

It is important to remember that tire loading is the limiting factor for axle rating with axles many times having more capacity than the tires.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 02-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The tires I was talking about came on a brand new camper. If I would have kept the 30RL I would have put new rims and tires on the camper. But I got a brand new 32RL C/C and the tires came on the camper. But you can get sued for just about anything and I guess an overloaded camper for the truck but who could weigh all that stuff. Tires might make the list too but who would know

"but who could weigh all that stuff" No one is suggestion you weigh everything you load into your RV but you should get on a scale with the RV fully loaded as you would for normal travel and learn the facts for the tire & axle loading.

The owner of the RV has the responsibility on not overloading various components. Getting your RV on a scale that can provide axle loads and doing the calculations is easy to do as there is no Calculus required only some Addition, Subtraction and Division.
The charts will let you walk through the process in just a few minutes.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"but who could weigh all that stuff" No one is suggestion you weigh everything you load into your RV but you should get on a scale with the RV fully loaded as you would for normal travel and learn the facts for the tire & axle loading.

The owner of the RV has the responsibility on not overloading various components. Getting your RV on a scale that can provide axle loads and doing the calculations is easy to do as there is no Calculus required only some Addition, Subtraction and Division.
The charts will let you walk through the process in just a few minutes.
I have been to the scales 3 x's Dave_Monica took the time to walk me though the whole process that is why I stayed with ST and moved up to from "C" to "D" per blacks recommendation. I do not understand why there is such an issue on this forum on tires? Yes they come with junk and you need to replace them with a better tire as I did with GY Marathons but still ST. After all the time you have explained things it seems people just do not want to believe your advice. I just wanted to thank you for all your help, I feel safe with what I have and also know the public is safe as we all share the by-ways. I thank you for your help and knowledge that you share. But you can't make a horse drink water also. My rims are rated I seen it with my own eyes, Unless you can carry the load with a safety factor even if you change the rims it's best to stick to what was designed for the unit with the rims that came with it, or change to the correct rim for the tire. Just my opinion....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have been to the scales 3 x's Dave_Monica took the time to walk me though the whole process that is why I stayed with ST and moved up to from "C" to "D" per blacks recommendation. I do not understand why there is such an issue on this forum on tires? Yes they come with junk and you need to replace them with a better tire as I did with GY Marathons but still ST. After all the time you have explained things it seems people just do not want to believe your advice. I just wanted to thank you for all your help, I feel safe with what I have and also know the public is safe as we all share the by-ways. I thank you for your help and knowledge that you share. But you can't make a horse drink water also. My rims are rated I seen it with my own eyes, Unless you can carry the load with a safety factor even if you change the rims it's best to stick to what was designed for the unit with the rims that came with it. Just my opinion....
First...Thanks for the compliment. Ya all I can do is lead a lot of horses to the pond, but it is after all up to them to decide to drink.

Now your question
" I do not understand why there is such an issue on this forum on tires"

I think the reason tires are a hot topic on each of the 5 RV forums I monitor is that most people only have their experience with their personal car where they basically have learned, incorrectly, that they can usually get away with doing zero maintenance i.e. checking load or inflation, and never seem to have tire problems.

The reality is that car companies each have teams of engineers working on just tires & wheels. The tires have dozens of performance requirements that the tire company must meet before they can sell tires to the tire company. In the RV world I think the only requirement from the RV assembler is low cost.

Another thing is that most cars specify inflation that gives 15% to 25% safety margin for load (with a few notable exceptions such as Ford Explorer of the 90's with a 1 psi margin.) This means people can go from oil change to oil change and not have to check their tires and just trusting the service station will adjust the air every few months.

When someone purchases their first RV there is lots to learn and tires are low on their list since they never had problems before so since tires are just round black things that cost too much, why bother to learn how to make them last?

Then they have a failure or see someone with an RV have a failure and suddenly they learn they need to pay attention. What they get is "Campfire Experts" providing partially correct to completely wrong information. Then they discover RV forums.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #48

If the advise given was consistent, it would be worth taking. The problem is the advise goes from one side of the spectrum to the other. Some of it is good. But when it comes to towing issues, this is definitely not the place to go. I've yet to read consistency. This issue is more justification of one's choice, not safety facts.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #49
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
I have a '13 36CKTS that I changed the suspension on, the new setup uses Goodyear 17.5" H rated ST tires. Before I had the Goodyear G614 G rated ST tires. With a combined 48,000 miles between the two, I think I can recommend the ST tire. Goodyear warranty is tough to beat anywhere you go, that said though, one can always find that bad apple if they look long enough.

Concerning load weight on a tire, the only way to know for certain is to get it weighed, & by that I mean individual wheel weights that come from each tire sitting on a scale simultaneously! If you don't your kidding only yourself & asking for trouble down the road!

Maintain it right, travel safe & enjoy your journeys!

Mikey

from iPad
Old 02-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I have a '13 36CKTS that I changed the suspension on, the new setup uses Goodyear 17.5" H rated ST tires. Before I had the Goodyear G614 G rated ST tires. With a combined 48,000 miles between the two, I think I can recommend the ST tire. Goodyear warranty is tough to beat anywhere you go, that said though, one can always find that bad apple if they look long enough.

Concerning load weight on a tire, the only way to know for certain is to get it weighed, & by that I mean individual wheel weights that come from each tire sitting on a scale simultaneously! If you don't your kidding only yourself & asking for trouble down the road!

Maintain it right, travel safe & enjoy your journeys!

Mikey

from iPad
Very good post, I know if you go to Goshen for the rally, they have a place set up to do that, also another to check your tracking and alignment. You are correct IMO about the ST's and GY will stand behind there product warranty or not. That's an American CO. that treats there customers right.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote